The Dr race

More
12 years 3 months ago #9302 by Hawkey
The Dr race was created by Hawkey
Hi all,
Just hoping to get some advice from those in the know about the upcoming Dr race?
How tough is this race on a ski and what sort of experience and skill level is necessary on a ski to compete?
I've got limited down wind experience on a ski but have competed in the last 2 Dr races on a sup. I'm really keen to give it a go on a ski but am a bit concerned I'm out of my depth. Any suggestions?
Hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9303 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: The Dr race
How fit are you? What sort of ski do you paddle? Can you remount easily? Are you a reasonable paddler?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9304 by Hawkey
Replied by Hawkey on topic Re: The Dr race
Fitness: should be fine, done heaps of sup training fitter than I've ever been.
Ski: prs
Remounting: Yes, but haven't tried with a pfd on or in really big open ocean
Skill: still learning!

More
12 years 3 months ago #9305 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: The Dr race
My advice would be to do the Duel race and leave the doctor until next year. The doctor is a long way out to sea and remounting a ski is a lot harder than a SUP. In my opinion you don't do one of the hardest races of the season without reasonable experience. I think there is a self assessment regarding your competency to do the event in the entry.
At least at the Duel if it all goes pear shaped, Australia is only 300 metres to the right.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9306 by Hawkey
Replied by Hawkey on topic Re: The Dr race
Thanks Dicko,
Thats the kind of advice I was after.
I might give the duel a go on the ski and do one more Dr on the sup.I wasn't sure how tough the Dr race really is on a ski compared with other races.
I think once the Dr is over I'll join indian ocean paddlers and get into some regular dw runs on the ski along the coast.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9307 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re: The Dr race
I've done the Docter every year since it's inception, and each time it seems to be different. From the reverse course, to relatively tame, to the huge swells where even the Rottnest ferry has to tack to get over to Rottnest. The PRS is a nice boat to do it on as an entry to this race. Heavy enough to be more stable but also fun.

Trust your own capabilities and if confident in paddling, remounting and distance then go for it. I came off in the last one in the most benign of conditions (can't work that one out) and took a few attempts to get back in, which sapped my strength.

I personally haven't done the Duel, but have done the course before and have had a blast as the water was perfect. I'll be there and hopefully it will just as much fun.

Good luck

Latest Forum Topics