GPS options/advice?

More
12 years 4 months ago #8968 by Kneewall49
I'm considering getting a GPS unit to track course, hr, speed, etc, for use in open water downwind paddling.

I see that on this forum there is a thread on the garmin 310, but primarily discusses the operation of that unit.

Can I get advice on what's a suitable unit, Garmins? the 310? or another or the Mobii? gets a mention also. What's there to look out for.

Also I want a very clear compass/bearing readout so I can get to Hilary's by the short route next time!

Thanks gang.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8969 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: GPS options/advice?
There are plenty of deck compass's available at any good kayaking store, and these would be your best bet for that type of application.
The 310XT is certainly a favorite for surf ski, but I suggest you go check out some of the Garmin forums for an insight on a new model coming out soon that may also be very good.

I'm certainly happy with my Garmin 310 in its latest updated guise.
If somebody come out with a higher resolution model I would be happier still

There is a very recent thread on here about some new competition in the GPS market, it also appears to be worth a look.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 4 months ago #8974 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: GPS options/advice?

Kneewall49 wrote:
Also I want a very clear compass/bearing readout so I can get to Hilary's by the short route next time!

The below youtube clip shows how the 310 can navigate to a waypoint. You cant get much clearer than following an arrow.

Epic V10 Sport Performance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kneewall49

More
12 years 4 months ago #8976 by [email protected]
Because of historical reasons, I have both a 305 and the 310XT. Both are excellent units, the 310XT being somewhat hardier and quicker to lock-on to satellites.

On occasions I use both (when I need to navigate AND I want to see HR/Speed/Dist).

The latest in the range appears to be the 910XT - after a cursory read of the blurbs on the internet I'm not sure what advantages the 910XT has over the 310XT, but here are some links:

www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmin_forerunner_910xt.html
buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=90671

I thoroughly recommend the 310XT - it's tough, it works really well. The only missing feature I'd say is the ability to switch automatically between the navigation screen (which shows the compass) and the training data. Hence the need to use 2 units when you want to show both. But, heck, in the last couple of years I've used navigation precisely once (in Hong Kong where it's notoriously hazy and sometimes it's difficult to see landmarks).

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kneewall49

More
12 years 4 months ago #9025 by PaulB
Replied by PaulB on topic Re: GPS options/advice?
I use the Motion-1 device made by MOBII (in Cape Town). It is very very good in my opinion. The data is amazing and the support and service from the Mobii team is absolutely brilliant.
(I think) I am the only person in Australia who has one (I bought one on my last trip to SA).

For me the best things about it is
- No buttons (touch/tap screen) incredibly tough, waterproof and no fogging on the screen.
- Very accurate readings and a huge amount of recorded data including some very cool stuff like g-force, tilt, stroke (cadence) rate and other stuff I dont even understand
- Amazing trigger and action settings. You can set it to do almost anything you like.
- Very good in house software to analyze your data and program the device.
- Synchronise with Video footage like Go-Pro (easily) so you can monitor your data and watch what you do on the software all at once.
- Easy to mount, wear, attach etc with lots of options
- Long battery and power controls
- Incredibly easy to personelise to what you want to see, record etc
- Listen to music (it has mp3 player) or get prompts about your speed, pace, distance, lap etc - even listen to musice when you swim.
- Links to all the ANT stuff like Heart Rate or Cadance monitors.

My advise is to check out the website or better still go and visit them in Cape Town if you can.

Paddling is twice as much fun when you can really monitor your progress - and give me another excuse to go paddling.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #9029 by jsowers
Replied by jsowers on topic Re: GPS options/advice?
I just purchased a 310xt, previously had a total of 4 305s. A major advantage of the 310 over the 305 is degree of water resistance, 310 far superior. Had 4 305s over a 4 year period, they died as result of water damage. However only purchased 2 and the other 2 were warranty replacements. I put off buying the 310 after the last 305 died because I knew that the 310 was at least 2 years old and a new model likely. It looks like the major advantage of the 910 over the 310 is the addition of swim lap recording in the 910 for triathlon training. 310 and 910 have the same water proof rating. Now that the 910 is out price is dropping on 310s ( at least in the states ) which can be had for 289usd from amazon and REI and an additional 50 mail in rebate from Garmin.

Here are links to some of the best reviews.

910 www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forer...in-depth-review.html

310 www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garmin-forer...in-depth-review.html

Those links are to DCRainmaker. The author Ray Marks provides insanely detailed sports technology reviews. Hope this helps

Edit: sorry looks like I didn't insert the links correctly not sure how to fix but they will work with right clicking.

Second edit: just checked prices, 310 has gone back up in price. I paid 239 usd after rebate and includes heart rate strap. The 910 not yet shipping and will be 449 with heart rate and 399 without.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by jsowers.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9052 by candela
Replied by candela on topic Re: GPS options/advice?
I sent Mobii an email a few days ago regarding selling to Australia. They said there still sorting the paperwork, so hopefully early new year.

Ive been happy with my garmin 310 which I've had since it was released but the mobii looks so good. A few SA paddler reviews would be nice ;).

More
12 years 4 months ago #9053 by PaulB
On the Mobii website - the facebook link - one of the contributors is a Durban Surfski paddler who has been testing it out with rave reviews.
If anyone in Perth wants to have a look at mine just let me know - happy to show it off...its very cool.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9057 by Kayaker Greg
Be nice to have a genuine alternative to the Garmin. I'm not unfamiliar to using GPS but I've had a few frustrations with my Garmin 310XT with the accuracy of some data compared to a Garmin GPSmap76CSx I have. But the Garmin Connect is a pretty cool tool. So any alternative would need something similar to Garmin connect to keep me happy.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9058 by PaulB
The Motion Experience Centre (MEC) is the software that the Mobii uses and it is equal to if not better than Garmin Connect.
It has better data analysis tools and ability to manage your GPS setting from the PC - which is gold !
You can also upload(export-import) your all the Motion data back into Garmin connect and therefore have the best of both worlds..win win I reckon

More
12 years 4 months ago #9060 by Kneewall49
Replied by Kneewall49 on topic Re: GPS options/advice?
Paul,

What is the set up like, i.e. setting up the parameters that you want your display to show?

I find the current interactions and workflows of digital wy=tcah type devices not intuitive?

Is it easier or harder than the Garmin? Is it easier to remeber or do you have to keep going back to the guidebook. (I'm not a teenager)

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

More
12 years 4 months ago #9062 by PaulB
Hi
Its very easy to do and as it can all be done on a big screen (ie PC) and synchronised on the device it is really user freindly.
The system comes pre-loaded with about 15 different standard sports with displays set up - so you can copy these, adjust each one as you like or create your own.
I havent even read the manual fully and can easily do all the things I need to, and I am sure there is much much more available.
Plus if you do get stuck the guys in Mobii are really great - you spak to the designer and builder and they are always very keen to help either by email or skype.
Really brilliant after sales service.
Hope that helps.

Latest Forum Topics