Go pro camera

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8676 by AR_convert
Go pro camera was created by AR_convert
After seeing some of Rob's ski footage the wife has suggested I ask father Christmas for a go pro :)

Good timing as I see there is a new camera out, so what package is the best to get for fitting on a ski and occasional mountain biking.

Also what sort of SD card is required, size/cost?

What sort of time do you get out of them at HD footage?

Am I up for extra accessories to use it properly on the ski?

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by AR_convert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gixer
  • Visitor
12 years 5 months ago #8677 by gixer
Replied by gixer on topic Re: Go pro camera
Ive used my gopro on my ski and have been happy with the set-up's ive used.
1 stick the adhesive curved mount on to the foredeck about a foot in front of the cockpit.Good for camera facing forward or back to you. Found facing back the best. Also a good way to critique your technique.
2 stick the adhesive curved mount on to the aft deck about a foot in front of the rudder. Good for camera facing forward
3 Recently bought the suction mount and have been mounting it on the aft deck about a foot in front of the rudder. Good for facing front.
It should be noted that I haven't used the camera in big conditions. I think the adhesive mounts would be ok when its big.
When mounted on the foredeck, I have been through some bigish breakers and it has been rotated backwards t has stayed attached despite, stayed attached no problems.
I also attach a lanyard/cord to the camera in case it is dislodged, although it has never happened.

• gixer
  • Visitor
12 years 5 months ago #8678 by gixer
Replied by gixer on topic Re: Go pro camera
regarding SD cards, always use a CLASS 10 card.
I use the Sandisk Extreme

More
12 years 4 months ago #8940 by jo.rademeyer
Replied by jo.rademeyer on topic Re: Go pro camera
Mates of mine got a Gopro stuck on their boat, but they lost it down the Fish river. I decided to buy the Contour roam camera, and I wear it on my helmet, even while I surfski. It works great, records 2 hours full HD on a micro SD card of 32GB. And the camera is waterproof to 1m without a housing. Cost me R3400 from USA.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8942 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: Go pro camera
Some cards, despite being fast (Class 10 or whatever) simply don't work well in certain recording modes on the GoPro (while having absolutely no issues on other cameras). Check GoPro on Facebook, where there is a long discussion on the subject and which recordng modes are affected. The camera just stops recording at random even though there is plenty of battery and card space left... In contrast, my Kingston 16GB Class 4 works perfectly in the GoPro, so it is not just the speed rating, but "something else" that matters for that camera...

More
12 years 4 months ago #8955 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re: Go pro camera
Another camera to consider is the Oregon Scientific ATK9C.

Shoots in full HD at 30fps or can do 720 at 60 fps allowing for clear slow motion editing.

The cam is waterproof to 20m and you can add a GPS module. Built in is alrady and accelerometer and you can control it via a remote.

There are no additional casings required to waterproof it either.

A nice feature is you can set it to record for example 30s or 5min at a timeso if you are doing a long session you can use the remote to acitivate the camera and once the time period is over it shuts down which means you save battery and dont need to go through hours of footage when you edit. there are a few good videos and comparisons on youtube. It is also reasonably priced. I picked mine up at ZAR1999 (around $250) comes with a few mounting options.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

Latest Forum Topics