Millenium probably an old question

More
12 years 6 months ago #7906 by rudie
I hear all over the place that the Millenium is the fastest ski in calm conditions, which I assume means flat water. I will ignore the Icon as there are none of those about near me. Just the ones mentioned below.
Im a K1 paddler so balance is not an issue on the flat.
Ive tried the Fenn Elite, Green7, V12 and V10 and all clocked the same time over a set distance. Must add the weights of all boats were about 1 to 2 kilos difference.
So really is the Millenium faster than the above mentioned boats, either in sprints or longer distances? I might be able to get my hands on a really nice condition light carbon job.
Rudie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7907 by Dicko
Probably faster than the v10 but not the others. In reality we are
talking small differences in speed. Milleniums usually sell for a third of the price of the others on the secondhand market. Milleniums also don't usually come with adjustable pedals, so make sure you fit in it first.

More
12 years 6 months ago #7911 by nell
I don't think the millenium is faster than the newer skis - it's the same, only much less comfortable, not adjustable, harder to remount, etc. Dropping in a modern single footwell cockpit into a millenium would solve some problems, but at considerable time/expense.

If money is tight, then find a millenium and cope with its other problems (there are valid reasons why very few paddle them these days). If not, you'll be happier and faster in a V12, Uno, Elite, Red7 . . . Erik

More
12 years 6 months ago #7912 by Rightarmbad
If they are all the same speed, simply buy the cheapest most comfortable one.

Or examine whether your test had a low enough noise figure to tease out the small difference in speed that can add up over distance.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 6 months ago #7916 by nell
"noise" or deviation from the expected is a good point. My thought is that there will be more variation in speed related to comfort in these skis than any calcul-able difference in hull speed. In other words, I would most likely be faster and fresher in the ski that I'm most comfortable in - comfort being defined by both seat and foot ergonomics, feel of the ski's primary and secondary stability, and steering - with the latter allowing one to efficiently stay on a wake or wave. ERik

More
12 years 6 months ago #7917 by rudie
Thanks for the info it all makes heaps of sense. The speed thing I did wonder how the Mill could be an quicker. I paddle K1 and a long multisport(6.2m long 42 wide)kayak and my times are exactly the same. Just one will be quicker one way and slower the way back and the other is the opposite but at the end there exactly the same. Though on dead flat no wind the K1 is quicker over a shorter distance. I did take the Green 7 and it was 30 sec slower each way. I would have been a bit slower on the Green 7 as on that run I had a tail wind back which is very unusual. So I would say the ski is really 1 minute slower down current compared to my other boats. It feels like there is more drag with it.
Cheers
Rudie

Latest Forum Topics