repainting surfski, what kind of paint do I use?

More
12 years 7 months ago #7825 by dragonrider
I have a carbon Red7 Valheru. I am in Hawaii. The paint on the bow and the stern is blistering, and has cracked and peeled in a few spots. My plan is to remove all paint myself and hire a pro to paint it. I am thinking someone with the capability and shop to spray would produce better results than hand painting.

What type of paint is best suited for a surf ski?
Thanks for any info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7827 by firecon
Lately I have been using good old Krylon spray paint with reasonable results. Are you on Oahu? You can compare my expensive brush on "West Marine" job against my spray bombers.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7832 by Hiro

More
12 years 7 months ago #7833 by latman
It would have been made originally with gelcoat I guess, and the equivalent product is flowcoat (Gelcoat with wax-in-stryrene monomer) but i suggest 2 pack linear PU paint will be the best option to use (but likely the most expensive and most toxic to apply also)

More
12 years 7 months ago #7834 by dragonrider
Hey thanks for the advice everyone! I will check into the cost of the 2 pack linear PU. I am not worried about the toxicity because I want to find someone else to paint it. If I do it, it will look like I did it. I'd rather hire a pro and have it look awesome.

Thanks again and I would love to hear more suggestions.

• Jonojnr
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #7861 by Jonojnr
Check out Awlgrip. It does not get better or more expensive - but you get what you pay for. We used to paint million dollar yachts with it all the time. Make absolutely sure the spray shop knows what they are doing and you will have a finish like glass. If you have left any imperfections in your prep work however they will show more in the glass like finish - especially at low angles.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7867 by dragonrider
Thanks, I will check out the Awlgrip. Specifically are you recommending the Polyester Urethane?

Am I correct in removing the gel coat during the prep? One of the spray shops I talked to said that was a bad idea.

Thanks.

Latest Forum Topics