Paddler Etiquette

More
15 years 3 months ago #2834 by PLoni Paddler
Paddler Etiquette when you crash in training or competition???

I just thought I would put this out there for discussion?
I became aware of a Ski damaged in the Murray Marathon.

Paddler hit a submerged tree whilst racing and new ski sustained scratches to the hull. The Scratches are large ugly, but did not puncture the hull, just Gel coat. Boat repairers opinion was that damage was repairable. Paddler finished that day?s paddle. A heated disagreement preceded, team withdraws. The long and short of it, boat replaced with Brand New Ski.

Having had an experience whilst training where a guy lost control on the same wave as me and crashed the nose of his boat into my hull. I had it repaired and I gave him the receipt?he fixed me up the cost. we still talk.

What is reasonable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #2840 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:Paddler Etiquette
So to confirm;

He was unhappy with the fact that, after driving an incredibly fragile boat into a submerged, semi fossilized tree, the ski sustained damage? And that this was the manufacturer's fault?

I think that if you drive into something it is for your account to sort it out, unless you hit another boat where it is clearly that party's fault eg a boat loses control on wave in front of you, goes sideways and you cannot avoid a collision.

Only in the case of delamination, bubbling or clear structural defects in a short peruiod after purchase should there be a call for a replacement...

Just my opinion.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2853 by PLoni Paddler
Replied by PLoni Paddler on topic Re:Paddler Etiquette
The point I was trying to make,is that if you enter your own kayak into an Adventure race and it gets a scratch unintentionally, you don?t get it replaced with new , normally.

Just like if your car gets a ding in the car park you don?t get a new car...Rubbing is racing and $hit happens.
This sport is an adventure sport, not Lawn bowls.

At very best the repair damage bill may be paid for by person who caused the damage.

Take responsibility for your own decisions and actions. When you enter an event, you take onboard the risk that your craft could get scratched during normal racing and training (i am guessing its low water in the Murrey?). The paddler offered repair and this was not good enough for the boat owner. Things got out of hand and went too far, by about $3500. Boat builders do amazing repair work and this is where things should have ended...

I hate to seeing good people being exploited intimitidated and taken advantage !!! Karma will catch up !

Happy bowling!

More
15 years 2 months ago #2855 by Couta
Replied by Couta on topic Re:Paddler Etiquette
Totally agree - take personal responsibility - for your safety and for your gear. This does raise the question of insurance...any comments on what cover you can get and what the costs are likely to be? And what is covered in an implied manufacturers warranty?

More
15 years 2 months ago #2860 by mad62
Replied by mad62 on topic Re:Paddler Etiquette
I have to agree. If you dont want your brand new ski to get damaged or marked, Dont put it in the water. While its very nice having a lovely looking item with no marks or scratches, it is a piece of sporting equipment. It's designed to be used and normal use will create wear and tear. If unfortunatly you sustain some "ugly" damage to it, cop it sweet, get it fixed and get back on the water.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2863 by PLoni Paddler
Replied by PLoni Paddler on topic Re:Paddler Etiquette
JUST RANG MY BOAT INSURANCE CO. THEY NO LONGER COVER SUCH CRAFT...WORTH FINDING OUT ...I AM IN AUSTRALIA btw.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2864 by [email protected]
Here in South Africa insurance will cover a ski for theft or damage incurred when the ski is not being paddled. ie they cover it if it comes off your car on the highway.

I understand that's pretty much the deal with any sports equipment.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 7 months ago #7602 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re:Paddler Etiquette
Hi

I agree with the fact that as soon as you put your boat in the water for the most case you are taking the risk. I say "most" because I think it has a lot to do with what kind of person you are. I personally would feel quite bad if I, through my own lack of skill and no fault of the other person, banged into a nice new ski coming into the beach. I have to say I would want to contribute to having the ski repaired. It's a bit different if you are a poor teenager.

I would not expect any replacements if a submerged rock did the damage.

Kind of have to make the same decision for an upcoming mainpeak event. Take my fenn with a kick up rudder down a river or take my newer lighter boat with a shallow understern rudder.....May be tempting fate here.....

Latest Forum Topics