de Brito bailer replacement for earlier version

More
2 months 1 week ago #40932 by jodiec
This may be of use to a number of paddlers who have the previous (pre-2022) generation of de Brito bailers that are no longer in production. I have been chasing one of these for almost a year. I know brands like Nordic Kayaks, Think, Nelo, Stellar and others were using these bailers at one stage.

ZSS Paddling Equipment (Australia) is advertising a replacement option for this bailer on their site with an upgraded winglet system which allows a two setting lock-out similar to the current version.

They can be found here if anyone is chasing a replacement. www.zss.com.au/product-page/debrito-bailers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40972 by Really clever username
What are the differences? My gripe with the original one is that the replacement gaskets are garbage. They squeeze out even if you are careful with screw torque, have no shape memory so they immediately and permanently imprint (and if the sides get squeezed out they immediately and permanently pretzel), and reportedly last no more than six months.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40974 by mrcharly

What are the differences? My gripe with the original one is that the replacement gaskets are garbage. They squeeze out even if you are careful with screw torque, have no shape memory so they immediately and permanently imprint (and if the sides get squeezed out they immediately and permanently pretzel), and reportedly last no more than six months.

Did you find an acceptable replacement?

My bailer leaks all the time now. Gasket is damaged.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40975 by Really clever username
I got some 3mm EVA foam sheet from Amazon last week. I haven't tried it yet, but it is firmer than the replacement gasket I ordered from Nelo, but not as firm as engine gasket material. Also, if you crush it it doesn't stay crushed, which is better than the stock foam. I'll try to remember to post something when I actually install and test it.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40979 by Ranga
EVA? don't waste your time.

Neoprene is a far superior material. Not the only material but easily found.

No matter what you use if you don't leave the bailer open whilst not in use it will never seal properly. Leave the bailer open so the seal can relax and expand after being crushed when in use. Also don't expect it to seal 100%, they are not designed for that, skis are not submarines. If you want a much better sealing bailer get an Anderson but that will slice you up if you rub against it! They seal in a very different way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
1 month 5 days ago #40983 by M.v.E.
I am using EVA foam for my De Brito Bailer for many years now. In my experience it´s far superior to the original material. Even after 6 months of usage there is no substantial leaking.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

Latest Forum Topics