Epic Mid Twist paddle

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #40717 by Epicpaddler
Anyone try Epic's new mid twist paddle yet?

Mine was delivered a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #40722 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Epic Mid Twist paddle
Had a chance to try the new Epic mid twist paddle today. It was flat water on my Epic v10g3. First thing I noticed was paddle blade felt smaller than my Epic small mid wing. I know it's about the same square inches, so it was just a reaction. Second, the paddle really favors a proper technique, which should help me in the long run. The catch is great, but if you don't plant the blade completely before applying power it gives a nice "kerplunk" sound letting you know to slow down. After paddling almost 8 miles I noticed a light tension in my wrists, which I don't usually get. I think the twist concept is sound, and I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pereira

More
1 month 17 hours ago - 1 month 14 hours ago #40858 by Selkie
Replied by Selkie on topic Epic Mid Twist paddle
I got my first chance to use the Epic Twist paddle today on a 6-hour touring trip with a chance to switch and compare with my Epic S/M wing. I knew nothing about this paddle. I had not read the promo info or any reviews. Right from the first few strokes, I felt a better catch. This got better the longer I paddled. Those who know me will be aware that I use skis for ocean touring distances. I am not looking for a faster blade. I have loved the Epic s/m wing for its no-fuss forgiving nature and efficient performance. Despite the dedicated racers claiming a wing can only be used in the aggressive high-angle stroke, I have not found that to be true for me or any of the paddlers who accompany me on long trips. This ability to change the angle allows less overall fatigue.
What I found so far with the Twist paddle after a 6-hour paddle is that it rewards best for the correct higher angle, but still forgiving at a lower angle. Looking at the innovative shape and how it enters the catch, it is obvious that it has benefits. Early days, but I think I prefer it to my much-loved conventional wing. This was unanimous amongst all who tried the Twist today.

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021
Last edit: 1 month 14 hours ago by Selkie.

More
1 month 16 hours ago #40859 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Epic Mid Twist paddle
I’ve got over a hundred miles on mine. I’ve used it in all kinds of conditions. Recently, I compared it the small mid wing epic paddle I used to use. I like the mid twist better. It favors a strong technique, but is forgiving and easy to adapt too. It does seem more efficient.

Latest Forum Topics