Double Surfskis: Boost vs XTS vs Zest

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #40248 by Davidw
Hi
I'm in the market for a double, primarily for my wife and me to paddle but I'd also like to do some decent downwinds on it.
I'm looking at locally available boats which means Carbonology Boost or Zest or Fenn XTS.
I've paddled them all separately but briefly, not long enough to get a good feel for their capabilities or to make comparisons. I'd like some opinions on the following please:
Speed: the Zest and XTS seem fast enough on flat water. I didn't paddle the Boost for long enough to tell.
Stability: paddled them all with the wife. Fine in very moderate conditions. Not sure how we'd do over 12-15 knots.
Downwind: haven't paddled any of them. I won't be doing downwinds with my wife. Rather with a competent mate.
I'm a reasonably competent intermediate paddler. My wife purely social.
Please share your thoughts and opinions
Thanks
David W
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Davidw. Reason: More info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #40249 by [email protected]
I've paddled the Boost X double quite a bit in raging conditions - and I love it. It's so stable that I feel bullet-proof in the wildest seas, yet it is very quick downwind. It's maneuverable too in the waves and I found that I could throw it around like a single, changing course rapidly to chase the next run in whatever direction.

I've paddle the Zest X double a couple of times in flat or small conditions. It's quicker than the Boost on the flat, not that the Boost is a slug, and it picks up smaller runs so easily. I'm dying to try it in the bigger stuff. I paddled it once with a mate whose stability isn't legendary and we wobbled - and took a swim.

I've only paddled a older XT double and found it quite a barge. I believe the newer Fennix XT S doubles are improved - but I haven't had the opportunity to paddle one.

If you're looking at Carbonology I think the choice would be Boost for fun, Zest for racing!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 3 months ago #40250 by Davidw
Thanks Rob

Fun is definitely the priority. I'm not going to win any races and I'm finding that I'm no slower on more stable boats, especially as I enter my first year as a Grand Master paddler.

My gut feel is that the choice is Boost or XTS. I spoke this morning to a dealer who sells both. He really enjoys the XTS and reckons it's a bit faster than the more stable Boost on the flat and also great downwind. But he's a much better paddler than me.

I also paddled the old XT double and honestly thought it was a bit of a dog. The XTS seems much better. I now have regular access to it and paddled it again today with the wife in light downwind conditions. We managed to get her on her first run ever despite her nervousness.

Now I need to pry the local Boost X out its owner's hands for a few hours.

I probably can't go too far wrong with either... decisions, decisions... :)

More
1 year 3 months ago #40251 by [email protected]
Ha - Grand Master for me too this year...

That's great that you can try before you buy. I think you're right, pretty much can't go wrong with either...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 3 months ago #40255 by Davidw
After some more testing with the Boost and XTS:

I can't really tell if the Boost is slower as some I've spoken to have said; I'd need a flatwater TT or race to test it. It certainly doesn't feel slower, but I think the XTS may be a bit faster on the flat.

The Boost is more stable. It's a bit wider and I think flatter than the XTS and carries its width further back.

I think the Boost turns a bit better, maybe because the rudder is a bit further forward than on the XTS.

The seats in the XTS are deeper and rails higher so its a bit drier.

The XTS has a finer bow with a deeper V, so it slaps less upwind.

The biggest difference for me is the seating position. The Boost feels like your feet are below your bum whereas the XTS is the opposite and feels like you're leaning back slightly and paddling uphill. The ergonomically better position in the Boost makes it feel like I can put more power into my strokes. It also makes the boat markedly more comfortable to paddle and the end of the day that makes the Boost my choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], Atlas

Latest Forum Topics