Does Gorge Downwind festival have clinics or similar for nonracers?

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #38724 by Arcturus
Would there be any benefit for nonracers or paddlers new to surf skis in attending the festival? (I don’t mean this year, since it is so late already, but next year.)

The festival description says there are daily shuttles all six days, and some clinics. It also says the venue offers a range of difficulties from beginner to advanced. 

The chance to try downwind paddling in a place with somewhat predictable conditions and shuttles is very appealing. But I am worried about feeling out of place as a nonracer. I do care a lot about technique, and it would be great to get another taste of downwind surfing.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Arcturus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #38725 by [email protected]

Would there be any benefit for nonracers or paddlers new to surf skis in attending the festival? (I don’t mean this year, since it is so late
already, but next year.)

100%
This year, the organizers are severely constrained because of covid, but usually:
  • There are shuttles running continuously so that you can paddle whenever you like.
  • There are paddling clinics run by multiple coaches
  • The manufacturers have demo boats that you can try
So yes, absolutely.  In fact Carter Johnson, the organiser and race director told me that a surprising number of people don't even do the race - they're just there to paddle their brains out during the week.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arcturus

More
2 years 9 months ago #38726 by Arcturus
Sounds fantastic. Nice to know I’m not the only one who just wants to paddle my brains out! Getting to demo other skis would be a treat, too, since I live in a ski desert.

I’m about two very long days’ drive from Hood River, so this is a doable journey with some advance planning.

Latest Forum Topics