loose paddle lock

More
3 years 3 months ago #37950 by tve
loose paddle lock was created by tve
I've run into a problem yesterday, which is that the joiner/lock on my gara odin came loose. I mean the side that is supposed to be permanently attached to the left paddle, not the one that opens and closes. Doe anyone know how that is supposed to be bonded (hot glue?) and more importantly, if I glue this back together how do I get the orientation right so the feathering angle markings are correct? Any advice appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #37953 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic loose paddle lock
I'd contact your supplier first.  Structurally, that is the strongest of the 4 glue joints.  None of them should ever turn loose.  Gara is high quality.        

Gara used a high quality (they are not all the same) hot glue on the blade I replaced.  I've done a few blades and handles over the years.  

It's really not that easy.  If it's your first time clamping, heating, cleaning, marking and reattaching two old parts, you are going to have your hands full.  You may not need to remove it, depending on how you got it loose.  But you really should visit someone that has done composite work.  Composite work may seem easy, but it's very unforgiving if you miss one tiny detail.          

How did it come loose?     

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #37956 by tve
Replied by tve on topic loose paddle lock
I was separating the two parts after paddling the way I always do (i.e. open lock, and pull apart while rotating a bit back and forth) and noticed that the joiner was rotating on the paddle shaft it's supposed to be bonded to. After pulling the other paddle out I noticed that I could easily rotate it by hand and once I got home it took no effort to slide it off. The joiner is smooth inside and the paddle shaft has what seem to be blobs of glue.
My suspicion is that it needs some fresh hot glue. I have a temperature controlled hot air station, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I don't know how hot I can make the composite, though, and the orientation is also a bit tricky.

I did contact Michele, from whom I bought the paddle, and she forwarded to Gara. I was hoping to find a quicker answer here...
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by tve.

More
3 years 3 months ago #37957 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic loose paddle lock
Ok, that's the easiest one of the 4.  Your original post said "the left side, not the one that locks", so I assumed you meant the shaft with the numbers for length.  

That little thing should be very easy by comparison.  Get a hot glue gun (a good one, from a woodworking supply house, not an Ace Hardware POS) and some good glue.   The guy at the woodworking supply counter will have some good glue.  Home Depot or Ace hardware glue is homeowner stuff, probably from Chinese slave labor, low temp garbage. 

You  could epoxy that thing on and be fine.  That's probably what I would do.  20 min. Epoxy from Ace hardware will do. 

The trick to aligning the marks is to lay the paddle across 2 parallel surfaces.  That will give you zero feather.  Mark that and you are ready to fasten.  I used my truck bed rails, worked fine.  Just be sure to lay the paddle equally on each wing surface. 

I'd get all that hot glue off then epoxy it.  Heat it up only hot enough to melt the glue.   High enough heat will delaminate the shaft layup.    

downwind dilettante

Latest Forum Topics