Wetsuit issue

More
3 years 5 months ago #37604 by Epicpaddler
Wetsuit issue was created by Epicpaddler
Yesterday I caved in and broke out the wetsuit. It was about 50 degrees and blowing 20-30knots. Water temp is about 60 degrees F. One thing I noticed that really bothered me was how much the wetsuit restricted my leg drive. Not in the sense that I couldn't do it, but the tight material stretched across my legs was causing significant fatigue on my quadriceps. I had to stop periodically and hang my legs over the sides to relieve the pressure. I paddled again tonight with just Epic paddle pants and didn't have any issues. Anyone else who wears a wetsuit have this issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37605 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Wetsuit issue
It probably depends on the fit of the suit and what kind of neoprene was used. Some neoprenes are stretchier than others. Different suits also fit different body proportions...or not. And in my experience, every brand mislabels the sizes; what they call my size according to their charts is at least one size too small. Not merely snug but constrictive. This seems to be a universal complaint. The one exception was an odd set of NRS Farmer Janes which were so ginormous I could have fit two of me in them. They had to have been a factory mistake!

I've been wearing an O'Neill 2mm full-length-leg Farmer Jane with either a rash guard or a 1mm shirt under it on top, depending on time of year. The Farmer Jane has not felt too tight in the leg, and I have biker's legs.

Then again, I have not worn my drysuit while paddling the ski. When I used it for sea kayaking, the entire thing felt roomier, especially in the shoulders. But they are deliberately cut very baggy in the first place, unlike a proper-fitting wetsuit.

Maybe you just need to try on some other wetsuits, possibly in a bigger size.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37610 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Wetsuit issue
I did not notice that sort of restriction with my size medium NRS Farmer John, however I did feel that it was hard to sit upright as the back of the suit was trying to make me lean back and it was like puling a rubber band along my back.

I have no such restriction with my Vaikobi vest and seperate bottoms or with my Kokatat drysuit which I find easy to rotate in and more comfortable generally.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
3 years 5 months ago #37628 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Wetsuit issue
I was also wearing an NRS farmer john. Guess  we are all built different and what works for one person may not work for another. I'm hesitant to dry a drysuit again, but maybe the technology has improved since my last experience. It felt like wearing a zip-lock bag. It was warm, but I sweat so much I was immediately drenched underneath. Are the newer ones any more breathable-- IE can handle a high exertion load? Even in the coldest days of winter paddling I sweat in my wetsuit. I usually stop and rest my legs over the sides to cool off.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #37630 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Wetsuit issue
I recently purchased pair of neoprene bottoms from a new player, GiantFish.us .  Love them, super comfortable, nice cut and work well. No leg restrictions due to the material and cut.  Kind of pricey, but quality is awesome.  Owner Scott Darling super responsive and helpful at answering any questions.  Worth checking out.

Chris
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by ccchappell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spitsbergen

More
3 years 5 months ago #37662 by agooding2
Those look nice, did you get the thicker or thinner ones?

-- Andrew

More
3 years 5 months ago #37669 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Wetsuit issue
Hi Andrew
I actually ordered both weights, but had to send back the heavier ones due to fit.  I have a 35.5" inseam, and very thin chicken legs...I'll just say it before some else does!  :)  So I really need a Large , but need the length of the XL.  In the medium weight  with thinner material works okay but for the thicker not tight enough to work correctly, so sent them back.  Giant Fish will be coming out with a Large Tall in the spring and I'll order another set of each in LT.

I have used the mediums in air temps 40-50, water temp not sure...but starting to get cold.   Have worked nice for me as next step up in warmth from the Vaikobis which I wear often.  The Giant fish are neoprene through out so give the next level of warmth, but not restrictive like my NRS ones I used to use.  Toyed with just getting the thicker ones in L, but would not overlap my booties so kind of defeats the concept :)  They did look great though, exactly what I'll want in late winter, early spring when water is cold.

Like I mentioned before, the owner Scott Darling is super responsive for any questions.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: agooding2, spitsbergen

More
3 years 5 months ago #37672 by manta
Replied by manta on topic Wetsuit issue
I don't need to wear a wetsuit to ski paddle but do for SUP surfing.

Wetsuits need time to settle. A new wetsuit will be plenty tight but over a few weeks with putting on and taking off it will stretch out to suit you. 

Wear it in the water and run around a bit. The suits needs to get properly wet and water logged and then dry a couple of times it also helps with the settling of the suit. I always buy my suits a little tighter because of the settling effect.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37674 by CrabStick
Replied by CrabStick on topic Wetsuit issue
Neoprene is tough to beat in very cold water but for Autumn or shoulder season (or Australian Winter) paddling I'm very happy with Enth Degree Aveiro paddling pants. Really comfortable stretchy windproof thermals with fleece against skin. Nice wide and high waist band. No feeling of movement restriction. Seem to be durable but have only used about a dozen times.
I often get waves breaking over me on the way out and have to do the rest of paddle wet but these keep sand out and stay really comfy and cozy. I now need to try their vest as my neoprene one chafes a bit much.
It's amazing how much warmer your hands and feet feel if you look after your core

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
3 years 5 months ago #37675 by agooding2
Thanks Chris, I have Vaikobi tops and bottoms, an NRS farmer john and a semi-drysuit. 

Those pants might be just the ticket in between the Vaikobi and the drysuit as I find the Farmer John restrictive.

-- Andrew

More
3 years 5 months ago #37679 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Wetsuit issue
I reached out to Scott at Giantfish. Hopefully, the 3mm pants will be the paddling solution I need. It's got to be hard to balance warmth, flexibility, and performance. 

Latest Forum Topics