Surfskiier dies on Lake Ponchatrain near shore

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #37151 by MCImes
www.nola.com/news/article_e3de9fe4-d7f9-...9e-3b48cb43aec7.html

The news article is pretty light on details, but sounds like he tipped over, could not remount, was not wearing a PFD, and went under water for some reason.

He was paddling a V9 performance (per the pic of the recovered boat) so not like he was in an elite boat or in cold water (the lake is a toasty 86*F right now). Possibly an overly ambitions beginner? The article says he was even close to shore. Considering how close it sounds like he was, I wonder if he had a medical emergency or something...

Let this be a reminder to everyone! Practice remounts in the worst conditions you paddle in. Wear a PFD even if you dont 'need to'. If you're not a great swimmer, wear one 110% of the time (and wear one anyways even if you are!). Like the Gorge safety meeting says, if you cant remount, dont go out!

Wearing a PFD is an easy insurance policy against bad decisions or bad luck, which we are all prone to sooner or later.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by MCImes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #37153 by zachhandler
A horrible tragedy no matter what the circumstances and I imagine there are people on this forum who knew him. 

I would assume he did not have a leash either if it took 2 hours to find his body. 

Very sad and my condolences to those who knew him. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics