New owner - crack questions

More
4 years 1 day ago #36541 by FL_Dave
Hello all.  I just discovered this forum a week or so ago, just before buying a secondhand Epic V8 (performance layup).  I am new to surfskis, but have some experience kayaking.

My used V8 has a couple of seemingly minor cracks at the underside of the bailer,  and in the seat/bucket area.  I am not concerned about appearances so much as I don’t want the areas to worsen, or allow water ingress. 

looking at the attached photos, would these areas be concerning?  Would the use of superglue  be sufficient to fill the areas, or would grinding away the gelcoat and re-filling with new gel oat be warranted?  Again, just looking to seal and keep the  areas from getting worse. 

the small crack in the seat doesn’t feel deep, but there is the slightest dip in the spot. 

I appreciate the help. I’m looking forward to getting the ski in the water. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BigFish
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #36553 by BigFish
Replied by BigFish on topic New owner - crack questions
They are all very very minor and could just be ignored. The ones around the bailer are very common and you can just stick any sort of glue over it if you're worried - I wouldn't bother. The ones in the seat and hull are from where something has pushed against it and the structure inside has deformed and cracked the paint on top - again I wouldn't bother fixing it but if you want to you can bang a bit of glue over it.

Remember Epics are made with two skins and a core in the middle. So for the boat to sink both skins would need to be punctured. If just the outer skin is damaged a little bit of water can float around in the core making your boat heavier - but the core material is closed cell and the water won't go too far. Here I am 99% sure neither skin has been compromised and it is just cracked paint.

More
3 years 11 months ago #36558 by FL_Dave
Replied by FL_Dave on topic New owner - crack questions
BigFish, 

I appreciate very much your response.  I’ve read some pretty awful accounts on here of surfskis being damaged.  Despite it being used, this V8 was what I consider to be a big purchase, and I’m deathly afraid of damaging the ski!  

I went on the inaugural paddle a couple of days ago; it was eye-opening.  I didn’t fall out, thankfully, but I can see I’ve a ways to go in mastering my paddle stroke!  Additionally, I found myself pushing on the rudder pedals too much when trying to incorporate my legs in the stroke.  Again,  it will  take some time on the water, I’m sure. 

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. 

More
3 years 11 months ago #36559 by mcnye1
Replied by mcnye1 on topic New owner - crack questions
Does the FL in FL_Dave stand for Florida?  If so:
1.  If you have any doubts, contact Bob at Mid Florida Paddle Sports.  He is an Epic dealer in the Orlando are and does a great job on repairs.
2.  Please join the Florida Competition Paddlers Association.  This is a great group that holds about 15 recreational races each (normal) year.     

More
3 years 11 months ago #36561 by waverider

FL_Dave wrote:

I found myself pushing on the rudder pedals too much when trying to incorporate my legs in the stroke.  Again,  it will  take some time on the water, I’m sure. 

Unless you have extra large feet requiring the taller footplate, with your heel on the bottom the balls of your feet should be below the steering pedals so they are just operated by your toes.  Adjust the pedal angle so they are either in line with the footplate, or even slightly away from you if you still find your toes pushing on the pedals.

It will take quite a while to get it all just set up right with correct leg lengths etc so it is perfectly comfortable. This also changes along with your paddle technique evolution

More
3 years 11 months ago #36563 by FL_Dave
Replied by FL_Dave on topic New owner - crack questions
mcnye1 - yes, I’m in SW Florida. I’ll keep Bob in mind for future repairs, but hope that won’t be for some time!  I’ll also look up and join FCPA; it would be nice to paddle with some folks, and though I’m not quite ready for competition, it would be fun to give some races a bit of a go.

Waverider - unfortunately I DO have rather  large feet (14), so that may be part of the problem, but I also think I need to change the angle of the steering pedals (they were  angled slightly toward me).  You’re not kidding about the time required to get everything dialed in; I also acquired a used paddle with the ski, a Z&J Sport that seems a bit short for me (it’s 210 cm maxed out, and I’m 6’1”). 

Thanks again for all of the comments and help. I’m excited to improve bit by bit, and have fun doing so. 

Latest Forum Topics