Carbonology Boost LV

More
4 years 1 week ago #36351 by Rod
I I paddled a Carbonology Cruze for two years and was very pleased with the build quality, characteristics and not least the local dealer. Last year I "upgraded" to a Boost LV . The ski is great apart from one issue: the footwell is always full of water. The bailer doesn't work for me. Unlike the Cruize , which has the same system that kicks in at around 4km/h, the Boost LV doesn't start draining until 8-10 km/h . Unfortunately this is far beyond my cruising speed.
The dealer fitted a spring loaded "golf ball" system to close the drainage holes but it just delays the problem, and my feet are constantly in cold water (I live in Sweden and the water is always cold).
A friend suggested plugging the holes and fitting a De Brito bailer instead it I'm not too sure. I don't think my weight is an issue as I weigh 75kg.
Appreciate any help. It's a pity as it's a great ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #36359 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
Are you sure the bailer is opening fully? On boats with bailers, the drainage only works efficiently with the drain fully open(unless you are at speed). It sounds like something is stopping the bailer from opening fully.
On my v10 if the drain is open it will drain at low speed. Partially open it drains at 12kph. Slower than this and it simply fills with water. 

More
4 years 1 week ago #36363 by Rod
Replied by Rod on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
Thank you for taking an interest in my plight. Carbonology skis are fitted with a scupper Venturi bailing system. The two drainage holes are permanently open. Water is sucked out by the pressure difference created when the ski moves forward. I've tried decreasing the diameter to increase the pressure difference but to no avail.
Many thanks.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #36368 by jmden
Replied by jmden on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
That is not a bailer, then. But simply scuppers/venturis with venturi covers. 
I have the same system in a FENN. Adding carbon 'bullet's made a big difference. Just used some 3M 4200. 

www.oceanpaddlesports.com/store/Bullets-CARBON-p79286407

www.surfski.info/forum/search.html?query=bullet&childforums=1

That is really weird that your other boat had the same system and worked much better...what's the difference?
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by jmden.

More
4 years 1 week ago #36371 by Rod
Replied by Rod on topic Carbonology Boost LV
Thanks. The Cruze has the same system,  and both skis are fitted with bullets as standard.  Not sure why it works well with the Cruze but I'm beginning to think that it's because the Cruze is an entry level ski and the system is dimensioned thereafter. The LV is more intermediate,  and probably the higher speed (8-10km/h) to drain it is all part of the package. Pity. It's a nice ski. Thanks once again for suggestion.

More
4 years 1 week ago #36373 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Carbonology Boost LV
My Boost LV came with some kooky one way valve arrangement in the venturies that minimised water coming into the cockpit when the boat was stationary. Although it did do it's job; it also really slowed down the water draining out while moving. This was completely unacceptable to me as I use this ski in very rough conditions. I cut the valves out after my first paddle. It now drains quite well. Not as well as a De Brito bailer but similarly to the Fenn skis I've owned.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod

More
3 years 6 months ago #37451 by jollywino
Replied by jollywino on topic Carbonology Boost LV
I am having the same problem with my new LV - if one removes the one way flow membrane, can it be replaced later ?

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #37452 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Carbonology Boost LV
It would be extremely difficult to replace those little silicon valves after they are removed. It appears to me that they are fitted before the veturis are glued over the drain holes.
My paddling waters rarely get below 10º C so I would never need such an arrangement. I therefore got my side cutters out and completely removed the framework that holds the silicon valves. I found that they acted like strainers and sometime trapped small pieces of weed which would completely block the drainage system.
My Boost LV now drains at about 7 or 8 kmh (water speed). If I paddle with a fast current I sometimes can't paddle fast enough to effect good drainage but it's very reliable otherwise.
FWIW: I weigh 76 kgs.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Atlas.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37453 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Carbonology Boost LV
I finally popped the silicone diaphragm out of the plastic cage this summer in my carbonology feather. Drastically improved drainage. Doubt i will be able to get it back given how tight the bullet is positioned to the venturi hood. 

Somewhat related: I finally realized why all elite SOT k1 drain poorly. These are low volume skinny boats, the therefore the bottom of the hull is necessarily quite deep  in the water to displace the weight of boat plus paddler. The deeper the venturi is, the greater the water pressure it has to work against. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: XV2PS

More
3 years 6 months ago #37489 by jollywino
I removed the silicone diaphrams before a 20 knot downwind over the weekend and the drainage was dramatically improved. Even thought it's great to have them in to keep water out when one isn't paddling,  the improved drainage is far more important (to me) and means I won't replace them. Out of interest, I did try and replace them and found it relatively easy (using a small allen key)

More
3 years 6 months ago #37490 by Mats.walstedt
Hi guys 

Here's a quick way to put the silicon valves back in place when you need to. Would be even quicker with two hands :) 

I am using a thin wire covered with plastic that is easy to shape. There is probably a small risk of damaging the valve but it has never happend to me and working with CS skis I have done this hundreds of times. 

Good luck 

The following user(s) said Thank You: zachhandler, Atlas

More
3 years 6 months ago #37491 by zachhandler
Very slick thanks! Snorkel valves are pretty cheap to buy if needed, just have to get the right diameter. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 6 months ago #37493 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Carbonology Boost LV bailer
Very clever indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Current boats
Previous boats

Latest Forum Topics