Surfskis for the taller paddler

More
4 years 4 months ago #35791 by [email protected]
Just had this message from a friend in Oz:

Hi mate, I have a friend who is 6’5 and needs to know which ski he can fit into. Any idea of the longest cockpits? Fenn’s are too short! Just fits in carbonology but is still short. Any help would be great

I know that Epics can go pretty long - any other skis out there he should try?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35792 by mrcharly
There is a big guy in my kayak club - not sure of his height, prob 6 3, or 6 4. He look very lean but weighs about 95kg. His problem in boats is leg length. I know he paddle a nelo, one of their + size boats.

A quick gander at the nelo website shows that they do different sizes in skis as well, and provide the footrest to well sizes.  Here is a link to the 560 (which I guess is for an advanced paddler, a stab 2 on the ocean sounds challenging)
nelo 560 L
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

More
4 years 4 months ago #35797 by Dicko
I am 6'4" but have long legs. Currently I paddle a gen 3 v10. Still have small amount of adjustment left. The gen 2 v10 was also good. Think ski's are usually ok. Gen 1 stellar SEL was ok. Gen 2 was too short. Newer Fenn's were ok as well. Gen 1 epic v12 was no good, gen 2 ok. Can't think of any other boats I've paddled. If I fit them almost anyone will fit them.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35803 by Mats.walstedt
Hi!
I am 6’5 and has never had any problems paddling the Think kayaks range.
I fit into all of their modells and the last couple of ski's they released has even longer cockpits than before, including the Zen, Evo ( 3rd gen ) Ion (2n gen ) and Uno/Uno max. I have at least 5cm empty space infront of the footplate in my current Uno. 

M  
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Mats.walstedt.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35804 by jtresfon2
I'm 6ft7 and 110kg. Started with a custom made Fenn XT back in 2006. I struggle with both length and width of most surfski cockpits. Can just fit into a Fenn Bluefin with the footplate on the longest setting but zero room for adjustment. Hand's down the best surfski for the bigger paddler has to be the Custom Kayaks' Zeplin. Intermediate ski that's super long at 6.6m and has a big nose with lots of volume but is a super stable ski in any conditions and also an epic downwind ski. All the bigger guys in CPT that have tried it still rave about it. I eventually killed my first one (glass) after many years and now paddle a carbon version. Not common but definitely an option. Have also paddled an Epic V10 Sport on the longest setting and have an Epic V7 for river paddling. 

Regards
Jean.

• 2025129534211990@facebook
  • Visitor
4 years 3 months ago #35808 by 2025129534211990@facebook
Replied by 2025129534211990@facebook on topic Surfskis for the taller paddler
I have had issues finding a ski that has enough leg room.

The Think and Nelo ranges do the trick. My current ride is the Nelo XXL.

New ski dealers from both Fenn and Epic have told me that I'd have to have seat modifications on a new boat.

Next time I'll pay more attention to boat volume as little people weigh less :-)

More
4 years 3 months ago #35835 by Karel
Hi,

Does anybody know if a tall (6feet5inch, 196cm) paddler would fit in the Knysna Rythm/Classic/MKII ?

Thanks!
Karel

• 2025129534211990@facebook
  • Visitor
4 years 3 months ago #35836 by 2025129534211990@facebook
Replied by 2025129534211990@facebook on topic Surfskis for the taller paddler
Had an unfortunate return to shore the other day (picture attached of Burton Wedge ski remnants).

Would love to hear from anyone that can help me buy a secondhand spec ski close to Sydney, Australia for legs measuring 1200mm or BOS jig >9. Private message will do the trick.

Thanks in advance and happy new year all!
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics