Wahoo Tickr HR Belt

More
4 years 8 months ago #34714 by [email protected]
I've had plenty of trouble (slow to connect, sometimes giving incorrect readings, not working at all when very wet) with the Garmin HR belt, when used with my Forerunner 910XT.  

Some time ago the Wahoo Tickr HR belt was recommended to me, so I bought one online at takealot.co.za.  I used it a couple of times and it died.  I checked inside and there was dampness and corrosion.  So I returned it and had it replaced (and was delighted by the service from takealot).  

The new one lasted half a dozen paddles, when it too died.  This time I couldn't replace it because takealot had no more stock and they gave me a refund instead.

I went onto the Wahoo Facebook page to tell them that the waterproofing on their product needed to be improved - and in response they sent me a new one free of charge from Europe.  Yippee!

This time, before using it, I opened it up and applied o-ring grease to the o-ring to make absolute sure that it wouldn't leak.

Once more I was well pleased with the performance - it links with the 910XT instantly and reliably.  It also broadcasts HR on bluetooth so it will connect to your phone or other device too.  And it seems less prone to stopping if you take a wave in the chest.  I love it!

But...  Alas, half a dozen uses and...  dead again.  Again it had moisture inside.  I dried it out but it was deader than a doornail.

Wahoo international have just sent me another one, but now I'm reluctant to use it in case I kill it again.  

Questions:
  • Has anyone else used the Wahoo Tickr HR belt, and if so what has your experience been with its robustness?
  • What can I do to waterproof the darned thing?  

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #34716 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt

What can I do to waterproof the darned thing?  

Hi Rob, hey head north to Pelican Point Namibia where they get about 8mm of rain annually. Leave it there, it will be fine.

When you get back purchase either a Garmin Tri HRM (quick look at local deals here in Australia  Garmin triathlon HRM ) or a Scosche , both reliable, long lasting and accurate. I own both, happy to share data.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Watto.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34717 by [email protected]

Hi Rob, hey head north to Pelican Point Namibia where they get about 8mm of rain annually. Leave it there, it will be fine.

Hahahaha!

Thanks I'll check those out.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 8 months ago #34726 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
My one has worked for years, just replaced battery once a year.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34727 by Wiid
Replied by Wiid on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
I use a Garmin HRM Run. Its cheaper than the TRI and has the same waterproofing. Water rating: 5 ATM.
All my other Garmin ones die after about 6 months. This one has lasted and its battery is replaceable. On the instructions it recommends submerging and washing the unit after 7 uses. So its ment to go under water :D

More
4 years 8 months ago #34728 by Hacker Mike
Replied by Hacker Mike on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
Hi Rob

I am on my 4th one. In terms of performance they are the best I have used. However, they seem to have developed a quality issue. The very 1st one I had (when they first came out) lasted for a long time. The following three have all failed in less than a year, with two of them only lasting weeks. I suspect that as demand ramped up they exported the manufacture to someone who has been using inferior parts. For example the stainless steel contacts have rusted. I suspect low grade SS has been used. 

A real pity as the do work well when they work.

M

More
4 years 8 months ago #34729 by [email protected]

My one has worked for years, just replaced battery once a year.

How vigorously do you rinse it?  Do you shower with it on?  

I tend to keep HR belts with my PFD, which I dunk in a basin of water to rinse after paddling.  I can only think that it's this that causes the unit to leak - although it's supposed to be IPX7 waterproof.  

I've just received the (fourth) replacement this morning (great customer service - but I don't want to kill this one too).

Rob

More
4 years 8 months ago #34730 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
Wild, the Garmin Run unit itself is largely waterproof however if you take a swim or get significantly immersed they fail to work effectively, that is heart rate measurement fails to read or reads erratically. Have used my Garmin Runs (have a batch of them collected over the years) multiple  times paddling without issue however once you're really wet the contacts are unreliable. This in itself not a huge issue - not like losing your speed/distance data.

Rob, stored with (in open air) or in your pfd? Left all my wet kit inadvertently in my Mocke bag in the car for a day or so recently and sure enough the Garmin Run HRM (an oldie) had internal corrosion.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34731 by Wiid
Replied by Wiid on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
yep, simple physics. EM waves don't travel very well under water and the low power ANT+ signals don't have enough power to make it through a few mm.

I've been using my unit for about 7 months and clocked about 1200km on it. Drops a beat or two going through the surf but recovers within a minute or two. Best unit so far.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34732 by [email protected]

Rob, stored with (in open air) or in your pfd? Left all my wet kit inadvertently in my Mocke bag in the car for a day or so recently and sure enough the Garmin Run HRM (an oldie) had internal corrosion.

Hey Watto,
I usually loop it around the shoulder strap of the PFD and then hang the PFD up to dry - so the HR belt is effectively hanging in open air until it's dry.

Def going to coat the o-ring in vaseline and see if that helps - and I'll avoid showering in the thing and avoid dunking it in water...  bit of a hassle.  

Rob

More
4 years 8 months ago #34739 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
Hi Rob, No I do nothing special with it, shower with it, rinse it under the tap, drop it at times. Even had the strap come loose and it fell in the cockpit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #34769 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
I'm no chemist but apparently Vaseline is no good for O rings. Silicon grease is supposed to be much better for them.
BTW; my Garmin tri HR strap has given me no trouble in about 3 years of heavy use. Literally hundreds of hours swimming, riding, running and paddling. It is regularly submersed when I swim in the sea (I use a different HR strap in chlorinated pools) or fall off my ski. To rinse it after use I often leave it in a bucket of water overnight.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Atlas.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34770 by [email protected]

I'm no chemist but apparently Vaseline is no good for O rings. Silicon grease is supposed to be much better for them.

I think you're right!  Happily I happened to find a tube of o-ring grease (came with an underwater camera housing), which hopefully has a more compatible formulation!  Duly slathered, I've used the belt twice so far, keeping my fingers crossed.

Rob

More
4 years 8 months ago #34772 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Wahoo Tickr HR Belt
Rob, try maybe using TiZip lubricant, it's for TiZip waterproof zippers. I have those on my drysuit and with occasional application of the lube they don't leak.

Latest Forum Topics