Is leg drive on old style fixed footwell possible?

More
6 years 1 month ago #31968 by mickeyA
My old style fixed footwell skis (Twogood, Findeisen, Fenn Tarpon) all have a separate seat bucket from the two foot wells, all separated by the deck of the boat. None have bailers nor adjustable foot plates. They all force my knees higher than newer cockpits, even the ski that might be too long for me. It seems impossible to get the same leg drive I can get on newer, adjustable skis, where my driving leg can literally straighten out. The old style is a far cry from low/no hump on newer footwell (epic v10Sport g2) where back of knee touches boat when fully depressing knee during leg drive. Lowest point of knee on old style has to be 4 inches/ 10cm higher than new style. No way I can straighten driving leg. What’s the deal, the new technology just that much better? Old style skis obsolete? Same leg drive not possible on old style? Different technique used in yesteryear? Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #31971 by PSwitzer
Yes, the technology is that much better. And the old style fixed footwell, feet-above-butt cockpit position is obsolete because who in their right mind would choose that over a nice comfy modern ski?

That being said, folks paddled those old school skis very fast for decades so yes it is possible to get good connection between the hull and the water even with your feet locked in above your butt. Even if you don't straighten the leg, you can get good lower torso/ hip rotation. Try it sitting on the floor with your knees high.

But really, who cares? The boats are so much more comfortable now that it's a moot point. There's a reason even the old cranky guys are paddling the new skis now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.