New model 2018 EPIC V10

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30964 by TC SURF SKI downunder
I am hearing rumours of a totally new V10. Anyone got any more info?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30965 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
shorter, wider, more rocker........ next week?

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30966 by TC SURF SKI downunder
Thanks Tony. Being such an iconic ski - not just for Epic - I am sure it'll demand a close look.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #30996 by JLB
Replied by JLB on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
Epic Australia posted some pictures of an for me unfamiliar boat with V10 stickers on so guess thats the new one. check it out on their Facebook page

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #30997 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
can't find any images at epic australia FB page - can you copy & paste on forum JLB?

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #30999 by supsherpa
Replied by supsherpa on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
I can't see it either unless it's this head on pic.

www.facebook.com/EpicKayaksAus/photos/a....7648/?type=3&theater
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by supsherpa. Reason: missed a word

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31001 by portmanm
Replied by portmanm on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
Managed to paddle it for about 20 minutes in Sydney on flat with some chop. I'm a ex-V10 Gen2 paddler, so was interested to know more.

As all Epics, well finished, seat, footplate & bailer all top knotch - easy setup.

Personally, I found it more stable than current V10 Gen2. Shorter boat, more responsive. You can see there's a lot more rocker, would love to try in big downwind conditions.

Jumped in new V12 on same day, same conditions, again faultless, definitely faster than the V10, being a ex V12 paddler too, really enjoyed it - but I'd struggle in big conditions on this weapon.

I think Epic will sell lots of both boats. I'm 183cm, 92kg, paddling for 6-7 years, class myself as advanced intermediate paddler, prefer downwind conditions.

Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31005 by JLB
trying to reply with some links but get the message that its considered as spam

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31006 by [email protected]
Please try again

If it doesn’t work email them to me and I’ll post them for you.

Thanks

Rob. (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31007 by JLB
Here is one of the pictures
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: supsherpa

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31008 by [email protected]
Here's the pic from JLB:

The most obvious change is the handle on the nose.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h, supsherpa

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #33757 by EK Sydney
Replied by EK Sydney on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
Here's a short review of my year paddling the new Epic Gen3 V10, from the perspective of someone who just loves getting out a cracking a few runners.
I get asked a lot about a blog review Posted a year ago, and this is a bit of a detailed follow up.
We're Epic dealers in southern Sydney, so not unbiased punters, but I hope it's a fair reflection of what I think this ski has to offer.
expeditionkayaks.blogspot.com/2019/03/a-...n-gen3-epic-v10.html

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
5 years 2 weeks ago #33758 by uk gearmuncher
Replied by uk gearmuncher on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10

EK Sydney wrote: Here's a short review of my year paddling the new Epic Gen3 V10, from the perspective of someone who just loves getting out a cracking a few runners.
I get asked a lot about a blog review Posted a year ago, and this is a bit of a detailed follow up.
We're Epic dealers in southern Sydney, so not unbiased punters, but I hope it's a fair reflection of what I think this ski has to offer.
expeditionkayaks.blogspot.com/2019/03/a-...n-gen3-epic-v10.html

I'm trying one tomorrow but you give the impression it is LESS stable than the G2 ? Is that true ? (others say the opposite).

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #33759 by EK Sydney
It’s a different stability. The Gen2 was rock solid on flat water but not quite so predictable in the bounce. This is the opposite.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
5 years 2 weeks ago #33761 by uk gearmuncher

EK Sydney wrote: It’s a different stability. The Gen2 was rock solid on flat water but not quite so predictable in the bounce. This is the opposite.

Ah hell. Now I'm confused. So if you paddle chop to small waves, you'd opt for the G3 in terms of stability ? Why is the G2 more stable on the flat - the lower rocker ?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #33762 by EK Sydney
 Mate, if you are trying one tomorrow, just make sure you try get out in some waves. Not a lot of point in me trying to define the stability differences in a couple of sentences. Your idea of what is stable might be completely different to mine. Best of luck with your test paddle.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #33766 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
Let us know what you think UK. I owned a gen 2 V10 and it was stable as all heck on flat water but a shocker as it got rougher. The new boat feels even more stable on the flat and a lot more manageable on runs. Most comfortable boat I've ever sat in. If it wasn't for the 3 mortgages, 3 kids at private schools and the wifes Range Rover to pay for, I'd buy one tomorrow. Great review EK, I think you've summed it up perfectly. We were loaned a demo boat for the weekend and 2 mates forked out the cash on the basis of that weekends paddling.

• uk gearmuncher
  • Visitor
5 years 2 weeks ago #33779 by uk gearmuncher

Dicko wrote: Let us know what you think UK. I owned a gen 2 V10 and it was stable as all heck on flat water but a shocker as it got rougher. The new boat feels even more stable on the flat and a lot more manageable on runs. Most comfortable boat I've ever sat in. If it wasn't for the 3 mortgages, 3 kids at private schools and the wifes Range Rover to pay for, I'd buy one tomorrow. Great review EK, I think you've summed it up perfectly. We were loaned a demo boat for the weekend and 2 mates forked out the cash on the basis of that weekends paddling.

Ok, I had my first paddle in a G3 V10 tonight for a couple of hours. I decided to start simple with flatwater today, estuary/harbour chop tomorrow and then tentatively in the surf over the next couple of weeks before I have to hand the boat back.

Tonight didn't start well. Having been used to a V8 pro, I struggled getting into it and lamented the lack of carry handles. The first 30 minutes was awful. A few brace strokes and only able to operate at 50% of max power on a river. I was virtually on the phone to the demo to tell him to come take the boat back and order me a V10 Sport. However, I realised that due to the new cockpit I hadn't set my footplate as far away as I should do. I beached it, whacked the adjustable footplate out to virtually its maximum (I'm 6ft 3) and tried again. Night and day. Back to paddling at 100% and miles of smiles (albeit on flatwater). I liked the tight feeling cockpit. The key thing I started to realise is that the primary stability isn't that hot but if you just roll with it and accept it, the secondary stability was pretty decent. I should have known this feeling from racing narrow SUP boards. I look forward to progressing things.....

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #33781 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic New model 2018 EPIC V10
I suppose stability is all relative. Not a bad effort after one paddle. What could you do after 50 paddles. The big question is, do you buy a ski for the 10% of paddles where you're challenged or do you buy a ski for the 90% of paddles where you feel comfortable. Buy 2 ski's I suppose. 

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #33783 by [email protected]

Dicko wrote: I suppose stability is all relative. Not a bad effort after one paddle. What could you do after 50 paddles. The big question is, do you buy a ski for the 10% of paddles where you're challenged or do you buy a ski for the 90% of paddles where you feel comfortable. Buy 2 ski's I suppose. 

After paddling for years on a Fenn Mako Elite, I changed to a series of "intermediate" aka "more stable" boats including the Think Evo II, the Carbonology Zest and finally, for the last year, the Fenn Swordfish S.

My main focus (in case anyone didn't know(!) is downwind paddling and my goal is to crack my Personal Best time on the Miller's Run.  So probably 80% of my paddling is in rough water, and probably 70% or more downwind.  Quite a bit of our racing is lap courses, but it's seldom flat.  

In the last couple of years I've only done a handful of races where a faster (tippier) ski would have been an advantage.  I had the good fortune to be on a Fenn Elite S for one of them and, sure enough, I found myself in the next group, slaughtering my peer group for that one.  

But:
  • If there's any chop, I feel at no disadvantage on a lap course and often find myself beating guys on faster boats because their stroke is compromised by their instability
  • I smashed my Miller's Run Personal Best this time last year just after I got my Swordfish S
  • I came within 8 seconds of that time a couple of weeks ago in the Swordfish S.
  • I feel that I'm still improving stroke and downwind technique, partly because I feel so bullet-proof in the Swordfish S that I seldom brace or feel tippy.
But having said all that, I'd love to have a go on the 3Gen V10.  I believe there are two in South Africa (but I don't think either of them are in Cape Town).  I owned red tip 2G V10 but we weren't compatible and I found myself uncompetitive in our paddling group in most downwind conditions...  (There was one glorious reverse Miller's with strong wind and long clean waves where I smashed all of them by miles, but the regular Miller's Run is much more technical.)

So for me, it wouldn't make sense to have, say, the Elite S as well as the Swordfish.  I'd be forever debating which boat to take in marginal conditions!  I also think that that would compromise the intimate relationship and feel that you develop paddling one boat long term!

my verbose 2c!

Rob

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dicko

Latest Forum Topics