Fenn SURGE - new, small, surfski

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30957 by [email protected]
Fenn have been releasing some teasers onto their Facebook page.

They're launching a new ski called the SURGE.

Length: 582cm
Width: 42.5cm
Seat width: 37.75cm (compared with the Elite S: 38.5cm

Layups:
Carbon vacuum (10kg)
Carbon Hybrid (11kg)

The post says, "Less volume than the "ELITE S", ideally suited for flatter conditions & has been raced/tested in moderate downwind conditions. More info. & photos to follow soon!"

And this is where speculation kicks in!

It appears that this is a top-end racing boat, for smaller paddlers and smaller or flat conditions.

The Elite S dips its nose quite readily in our downwind conditions with any but the smallest paddler, so I suspect that the Surge will be a wet boat downwind.

At any rate, there will be one in Cape Town towards the end of the week, and it will be raced at the Seadog on Friday. I'll be lurking with my camera...!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30960 by Kiwi Dave
Looking forward to the intel Rob ... don't forget to include a picture of you under deep cover in the sand dunes :D

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31002 by portmanm
I'll be interested in feedback from Fenn Spark paddlers on the surge. Plus whether the bucket is a little wider. Being bigger, it's the Elite S or Swordfish S for me but if I get an opportunity to test drive, I'll post something.

Matt.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31003 by [email protected]

Plus whether the bucket is a little wider.

I don't think so - the SURGE cockpit is a very snug fit on me... High rails.

I had a chat with Travis Smith from Fenn yesterday and I'm hoping to turn the conversation into a short article. But he said the SURGE is not intended to replace the Spark; it has quite different characteristics. For one thing the nose has more volume than the Spark - but it also has less rocker.

Definitely designed for flatter conditions. It hasn't been tried in big conditions yet...

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #31004 by [email protected]
Couple more photos of the SURGE... Mark Keeling racing it last night. He came second, beating Dawid Mocke and coming in behind Kenny Rice.

Rob

Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics