Beginner/intermediate ski for light paddler.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30348 by Marieski
Hello everyone. I’ve been missing for a while and I’m a bit out of touch with newer model boats. I am helping a young friend to get into ski paddling. We are using my V7, my Swordfish and my Fenn Spark. The 2 problems are the V7 is too kayaklike (I got it cos it’s plastic and has a trailing rudder, but it just doesn’t have enough roll) and hence too big a gap to the Swordy; and he’s 178cm but only weighs 60kg.

Suggestions for a beginner/intermediate boat which is low volume, both in the cockpit and in buoyancy?

If there has been a recent thread on this topic, feel free to direct me thence.

Cheers, Marie.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30349 by BrettD
I would think epic v8 pro or think eze would do nicely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marieski

More
6 years 4 months ago #30350 by Hiro
Hello Marieski,
This amazing tool has been developped while you were away. Check it.
surfskicomparison.com

More
6 years 4 months ago #30351 by Fath2o

More
6 years 4 months ago #30353 by Marieski
Thanks everyone.

Yep, absolutely amazing tool, Hiro. Saves me lots of pencils and backs of envelopes. Very illuminating being able to assess windage and bucket sizes, rocker, all kinds of stuff! Thanks.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
6 years 4 months ago #30354 by Canario
Hi!
For a 80 Kgrs paddler I would recommend the new Think Zen. In my humble opinion the XT is an old design that Fenn is even not promoting in the events. The Eze is just recreational. The Epic V8 Pro is another good option. Hope this help.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30357 by feeny
I have a v8pro and it's pretty damn good in all conditions.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30362 by JonathanC
Yep V8 Pro here as well, can’t really go wrong with this boat IMO. I’m 64kg and 173, sure the seat is a little big but it’s so stable I haven’t bothered padding it yet. I can achieve good leg drive unlike the V8 or my old V10S gen 1.
Can confidently take it out in ANY conditions and have fun, for really flat water or clean small downwinder I have a first Gen Ultra Stellar SES, in those ideal conditions the Stellar is amazing, everything else the V8 Pro is so much more enjoyable.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33212 by 10215251009367314@facebook
I bought the Carbonology Boost LV over the Epics & Fenns. It's designed for up to 90kgs unlike the Epics which will take 120kg+ gorillas. I'm 173cm & 75 kgs. Super stable and pretty quick at around 9.5 kmh for me anyway. I'd been paddling a Gibbons GR3 spec ski for a year and found it to be very tippy by comparison. The Boost LV drains really well and has the lowest profile nose so not effected by the wind like the Epics and to a lessor extent the Fenns. Turns well and super responsive. Bucket is 42cm wide & very comfy. Nice looking ski as well. Hope this helps.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33222 by Epicpaddler
I have an Epic V8pro too, Great first ski. Not too fat, can handle anything, and reasonably fast. Can't keep up with the v14's but I end up middle of the pack in local races. Anyone could paddle one. 

• eh.haole
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #33244 by eh.haole
Replied by eh.haole on topic Beginner/intermediate ski for light paddler.
The Stellar SR felt pretty good at 70-75kgs. Boring traditional reassuring volume/hull profile in a not-slow class

More
5 years 3 months ago #33253 by Possum
Update on CS Boost LV: After 2 weeks can report absolutely no buyers remorse (had planned to buy the Vault). The ski is bullet proof, loads of fun, still pretty quick and I feel I can take on anything. Have been out in 50kmh+ winds & storms on The Broadwater Gold Coast and had an absolute blast. It handles all sorts of ridiculous washing machine slop and choppy waves yet I still haven't gone for a swim. Wouldn't even try going out in those conditions in my Gibbons GR3 spec ski. Now ready to tackle a serious ocean paddle something I thought was way beyond me. Stay tuned........ 

More
4 years 11 months ago #33905 by Possum
Update on Boost LV. Did my 1st ocean race after only 6 outside paddles. It was the 12 Towers event on the Gold Coast. Crazy conditions and I took a few "not a good idea" calls the night before and morning of the race. Well I took a deep breath and did it. Fell off 3 times. If it wasn't for the stability of this ski I wouldn't have even made it out to the off shore start line. Last week I did a 12 km flat water marathon event after competing in the 16km K1 and 10km ocean ski races the day before. Finished at the back of the field but averaged 10.9 kmh and 11 minutes better than last year on a Gibbons GR3 spec ski. So glad I bought the Boost LV.

Latest Forum Topics