Glass or carbon Zeplin

More
7 years 3 months ago #27658 by Dicko
Glass or carbon Zeplin was created by Dicko
I am in the process of buying a Zeplin and was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with the Zeplin in carbon layup.

Is there a noticeable difference in performance between the vac bagged glass and carbon?

How is the weight? Was it close to the 14.5 kg advertised.

I have paddled an older mark 1 in glass and a mark 2 in glass. Was hoping to get some input before deciding which boat to order.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #27659 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Glass or carbon Zeplin
Hi Dicko, long time no see. Thought you'd be all over this difference.

Not the Zeplin, but my experience between the Carbonology Flash in the hybrid and jumping on Gary's Carbon for a race, even though there was only a 1kg difference was amazing. Carbon rewards every bit of energy you put into it. Having said that, My hybrid glass/carbon is still going really strong 4 years later.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #27660 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Glass or carbon Zeplin
I am paddling an elite SL in vac bagged glass at the moment and I really enjoy it.....but as it gets lumpier and colder I will need a more stable ski. The SL is a handful to remount.

I have 3 mates who paddle Zeplins and without question everyone of them loves this ski. After seeing the Zeplin beat most of the swordfish's in the last couple of races I thought I'd have a go in one.

Anyway in the 20knt downwinder we did, I had decided by about half way that this was the ski I was going to grow old with. What a great boat to paddle. Goes where you point it. Catches every run you want it to. The bigger it got, the better it went. It is the ugliest boat on the market, but when you sit in it, it has a really nice look and feel about it.

The carbon boat is only a $1000 more , but because of the trouble getting them into the country, I just want to be sure it will be robust enough to last a while and it still weighs 14.5 kg as opposed to 16 kg in glass. It is a big boat.

I can see this boat becoming my main boat in the next few years, so need a little confirmation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #27664 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Glass or carbon Zeplin
Hi the carbon is definitely worth it. A mate has paddled his for years without problems. My only advise is get a white gel coat as the black carbon gets very hot. Enjoy

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

Latest Forum Topics