Bucket width

More
5 years 11 months ago #26679 by dannyboy
Bucket width was created by dannyboy
Looking for input from experienced paddlers who have moved uto more "elite' level skis as skill has improved.

As you progress to a less stable ski the length increases and beam decreases. Since beam decreases can one assume the bucket width also decreases?

I have wide hips and fit well in a S18S but a V8 is way too tight in the bucket. Is Stellar known for having wider buckets?

Say as i improve I want to get into a Stellar SEI since the beam is less will bucket be too tight? i know best thing is to sit in the ski but I suppose my question is as follows:

Is/are there ski manufacturers who over their product line provide a wider bucket?

If not where does that leave bigger guys who have improved and wish to get into an elite level ski? Are we stuck at beginner/intermediate level skis? When I sat in the V8 it had been suggested to add a pad to a narrower bucket to get my hips in the wider area but this would change the whole stability of the ski would it not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #26680 by Aurelius
Replied by Aurelius on topic Bucket width
One thing you may want to do is provide a hip measurement. That way, other forum members who own the type(s) of ski you're considering will have something to compare to.

My hip width is about 16" (40.64 cm), and I had no problem fitting in the Stellar SEI. The Stellar dealer told me that he has had some very large customers buying their elite skis, so I'm assuming from this that Stellar's buckets are not on the narrow end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #26681 by dannyboy
Replied by dannyboy on topic Bucket width
Hip width right at 16.25 (41.27 cm.) Nice to know you fit an SEI. SEI being 3 in. less beam than the S18S I thought the bucket would be less width as well. Maybe not. I'll have a sit in an SEI next week.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by dannyboy. Reason: addition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #26682 by Aurelius
Replied by Aurelius on topic Bucket width

dannyboy wrote: Hip width right at 16.25 (41.27 cm.) Nice to know you fit an SEI. SEI being 3 in. less beam than the S18S I thought the bucket would be less width as well. Maybe not. I'll have a sit in an SEI next week.


With hip measurements so close to mine, you shouldn't have any problems with the SEI. Unfortunately the SEI's bucket put a lot of pressure on my tail bone. I didn't notice it right away, but after paddling for about half an hour it became so painful that I wanted to get out. That's the main reason I ended up buying the SR instead of the SEI. You may be fortunate and not have this issue.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to try out the SEL as well. This is the ski I'm thinking of eventually upgrading to, and I'd love to hear what others think of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #26683 by dannyboy
Replied by dannyboy on topic Bucket width

Aurelius wrote:

dannyboy wrote: Hip width right at 16.25 (41.27 cm.) Nice to know you fit an SEI. SEI being 3 in. less beam than the S18S I thought the bucket would be less width as well. Maybe not. I'll have a sit in an SEI next week.


With hip measurements so close to mine, you shouldn't have any problems with the SEI. Unfortunately the SEI's bucket put a lot of pressure on my tail bone. I didn't notice it right away, but after paddling for about half an hour it became so painful that I wanted to get out. That's the main reason I ended up buying the SR instead of the SEI. You may be fortunate and not have this issue.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to try out the SEL as well. This is the ski I'm thinking of eventually upgrading to, and I'd love to hear what others think of it.


Curious if you tried a seat pad in the SEI. i'm thinking one of those adhesive pads sold at paddle shops. May help the tailbone?

I have been told they raise your COG and will reduce stability but can a height change of only a half inch or so really make that much of a difference in stability??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #26686 by Aurelius
Replied by Aurelius on topic Bucket width

dannyboy wrote:

Aurelius wrote:

dannyboy wrote: Hip width right at 16.25 (41.27 cm.) Nice to know you fit an SEI. SEI being 3 in. less beam than the S18S I thought the bucket would be less width as well. Maybe not. I'll have a sit in an SEI next week.


With hip measurements so close to mine, you shouldn't have any problems with the SEI. Unfortunately the SEI's bucket put a lot of pressure on my tail bone. I didn't notice it right away, but after paddling for about half an hour it became so painful that I wanted to get out. That's the main reason I ended up buying the SR instead of the SEI. You may be fortunate and not have this issue.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to try out the SEL as well. This is the ski I'm thinking of eventually upgrading to, and I'd love to hear what others think of it.


Curious if you tried a seat pad in the SEI. i'm thinking one of those adhesive pads sold at paddle shops. May help the tailbone?

I have been told they raise your COG and will reduce stability but can a height change of only a half inch or so really make that much of a difference in stability??


I tried a seat pad, but it didn't solve the problem. What causes the pressure on the tailbone is the relatively large radius at the intersection of the seat bottom and seat back. That curved portion presses directly against my tailbone. If the radius were smaller, like it is on some skis, there would be nothing pressing against the base of the spine. Discomfort from the seat pressing against the tailbone is a common complaint among kayakers. I don't know why manufacturers aren't listening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #26691 by RedBack
Replied by RedBack on topic Bucket width
Sometimes the issues experienced with tailbones are a consequence of posture, rather than just seat design.
As a paddler's technique improves, their posture typically changes as an adaptation to the different movement patterns and improvements in core strength.
By the time a paddler is ready for an elite-level ski, their position, posture and connection points in the boat are often quite different.
Because of this, a boat that might be uncomfortable when you first start, could feel very comfortable when you get back into it after a year of being coached.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #26718 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Bucket width
I learned a lesson this past year on this issue. Not only do you need to sit in the ski but spend some time there if you can or cannot test paddle it.
My tale; I am fairly wide in the beam 6'2" x 195 lbs. and sat in a Stellar SEI and SR at the dealer's when I did not have time to paddle (I was on a business trip with very little time). The bucket on the SEI was too narrow and my wide hip bones hit the sides of the bucket. The SR (Gen. 2) was snug, but I fit and I ordered the boat. Once I got it initially I had trouble dropping into the bucket even just wearing paddling shorts, but it was OK once I get down to the bottom of the bucket. I was tipping over if I did not drop in quickly. The boat was fine re. stability (once in.) During the next couple of months I lost some weight, and while the entry problem diminished, as my time paddling increased the discomfort on my hipbones increased. I simply could not go past 30 minutes. Even using a thin pad did not help enough, and I wound up selling the boat. I live in a very remote area of SW Colorado re. testing a ski, so for those of you with a wide beam, be cautious. Since I just paddle for exercise when not on an SUP I ordered a Stellar S16S, and will just have to accept not being too fast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Protected by R Antispam