Epic surf ski ergonomics

More
7 years 11 months ago #26666 by Aurelius
The Epic V7 isn't the fastest ski I've ever owned, but I can't help but be impressed by how comfortable a ski it is even after four hours of paddling. No ski I've ever tried has even come close in that regard.

What I'm curious about is whether the seat shape is the same for all Epic skis. In a couple of years, I may want to upgrade to a V10/V12/V14, but only if it's going to be as good a fit for me as the V7 is. Unfortunately the only local Epic dealer refuses to stock them, so I'm unable to try them out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26672 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Epic surf ski ergonomics
I believe their are some differences. Example: 2 years ago i bought a V10 Sport ultra layup. I sat in a V10 sport but it pinched a bit. the local rep was able to get me the V10Sport with the wide bucket. Not sure about Gen 2 but I imagine that since beam is different boat to boat the more advanced such as V12 would have a more narrow bucket. Best bet is to ask Epic directly !!

More
7 years 11 months ago #26673 by Simon Haywood
What I'm curious about is whether the seat shape is the same for all Epic skis. In a couple of years, I may want to upgrade to a V10/V12/V14, but only if it's going to be as good a fit for me as the V7 is. Unfortunately the only local Epic dealer refuses to stock them, so I'm unable to try them out.

Aurelius, I've owned 5 Epic skis (both models V8, V10sport (g1), V10(g1) & V12) they are all a bit different IMHO. V8 & V10s very comfortable - V10 too tight(hips) for me but good leg length & V12 was too short in the leg but OK in the bucket width -weird. I own a few Stellars they're all different too - no short cuts you need to spend time in the bucket and see if it's the ski for you.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 11 months ago #26675 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Epic surf ski ergonomics
I think some manufacturers design the hull and then fit whatever shape seat bucket naturally fits inside. This then makes all the seat shapes different. I believe that Think works the other way, too, i.e. they design the hull to accommodate a cockpit shape that they've had success with. For example, I'm told that the Uno Max Gen 3 has the Evo2 seat and footwell.

Also, from my experience, different layups of the same model might also have slightly different seat shapes due to the difference in layup thicknesses. I've had three new generation V10's - black carbon, Ultra, and GT. The seats were very slightly different in all of them. In the original carbon ski, I was comfortable for hours, but in the others, I'm squirming after about 1-2 hrs in the bucket.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26676 by Aurelius
Replied by Aurelius on topic Epic surf ski ergonomics

Simon Haywood wrote: What I'm curious about is whether the seat shape is the same for all Epic skis. In a couple of years, I may want to upgrade to a V10/V12/V14, but only if it's going to be as good a fit for me as the V7 is. Unfortunately the only local Epic dealer refuses to stock them, so I'm unable to try them out.

Aurelius, I've owned 5 Epic skis (both models V8, V10sport (g1), V10(g1) & V12) they are all a bit different IMHO. V8 & V10s very comfortable - V10 too tight(hips) for me but good leg length & V12 was too short in the leg but OK in the bucket width -weird. I own a few Stellars they're all different too - no short cuts you need to spend time in the bucket and see if it's the ski for you.

Strange that they would all be so different. I've read that Epic designed all their skis to fit one person: Oscar Chalupski. If that's the case, the ergonomics should be the same for all of them.