Where to Paddle Near Pittsburgh

More
7 years 11 months ago #26522 by kwolfe
Hi Everyone! I'm heading out towards Pittsburgh this coming weekend an was wondering if you folks new a couple of good places to put in. I'll be staying around LaTrobe so would like to be around 30 minutes around that area.

Thanks
Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26523 by drjay9051
These folks may be of some help

www.ventureoutdoors.org/kayak-pittsburgh/

• rhainan
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #26548 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Where to Paddle Near Pittsburgh
Latrobe is about one hour away from paddling near downtown. A couple of us surf ski paddlers plan to paddle from the Aspinwall or Millvale launch on Saturday or Sunday morning. Feel free to drop me a note if you wish to join us.

The closest surf ski friendly paddling to Latrobe is Keystone State Park. Its less than a mile long but deep enough for rudders and often sees some performance boats on the water. The park is about five miles north of the town. There are a couple of kayak launches in or around the town but the water is almost always too shallow.

You can also check out the Bush Recreation Area on Loyalhanna Lake. Its about 30 minutes away.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26552 by kwolfe
I really appreciate the help! Going to have to see what my girlfriend has planned for us but I might just drop you that line. I would love to paddle the downtown river. Regular lakes are OK but the extra scenery would be nice. Thanks!