GoPro Hero4 Silver vs Garmin Virb

More
8 years 5 days ago #26112 by SurfskiEstonia
Hi, guys!

Which one would You buy from these two?

The aim is to film myself in a slalom kayak in the surf and also film my surf ski paddling technique on the flats.

The picture quality is better on the gopro, but the virb has an inbuilt speed indication, which is kinda neat :)

Any input appreciated :)

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 days ago #26113 by Rubys Dad
I've got experience with the Virb Elite and have to say that I really love it. I used it without a waterproof case at first and had no issues but added one to ensure that I wouldn't have any issues in the long term. Price point on one of those is worth it for the data tracking and so on, in my opinion. The software for the video lets you tailor the data you might want to capture on the screen. Image quality is excellent in my opinion and the ability to slow down the video for analyzing stroke technique I found quite helpful.
They also can use any of the GoPro mounts with the included adapter which is nice for some applications. Imagine pitch and yaw as part of the video....
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
8 years 5 days ago #26115 by wesley
I have been using the 1st Generation Garmin Virb Elite for years for all my paddling videos. Editing is easy and you have all the graphics you need. It will also interface with your Gamin watch 920XT or my Garmin Fenix 3 if I like. You can pick up the 1st Generation for less than 200.00 if you can find them. I have a Go Pro that I bought 2 years ago but have not used it prefering to use the my Virbs. Remember only the Elite version has the graphics in the 1st generation. I am told video quality is better on Go Pro but for our purposes the Virb is all you need. My videos come out super and can be found on SurfskiRacing.com if you want to look at them.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
8 years 5 days ago #26116 by Simon Haywood
I too have been using action cameras to record some of my paddling...I'm no expert - still teaching myself both paddling & filming!

I started with the Hero 2 in a housing - it's ok - I'm still having issues with fogging despite all efforts - Couldn't recommend that camera
I've got the Garmin Virb Elite (in a housing) - better in all aspects than the Hero 2 - Just had it replaced under warranty - New unit and firmware superior again. Easy in house software for editing too with the abilty to add heart rate and cadence...Heart rate strap - having reliability issues with transmission (a work in progress)
4 months ago bought the Garmin Virb XE...Better again - smaller, lighter and no need for a housing - this results in better raw footage.
This footage is shot with a Garmin XE mounted on my head: vimeo.com/159665825

This footage is shot with a Garmin Virb Elite (1) mounted a pole rear of ski & Hero 2 mounted on the Helmet:

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
8 years 5 days ago #26118 by Ranga
Use Wahoo heart rate strap, Garmin rubbish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Haywood, Watto, SurfskiEstonia

More
8 years 4 days ago #26119 by Punches

Simon Haywood wrote: This footage is shot with a Garmin XE mounted on my head: vimeo.com/159665825

This footage is shot with a Garmin Virb Elite (1) mounted a pole rear of ski & Hero 2 mounted on the Helmet:

I've got a 1st gen Virb basic in a dive case with no gps and I sync a FIT file from my Suunto Ambit to get all the nice on screen speed graphics using the Virb Edit software on OSX. I'm pretty happy with it and I've got a remote control attached to my paddle for taking stills. The second generation Virb X/XE has a shorter battery life more like the GoPro. By the time you've uploaded on Youtube or Vimeo there will be little difference in quality from either brand.

Now I just want to hijack the thread so apologies in advance. Simon, the footage you've shared using the Virb Elite and the Virb XE shows distance and time continuity for the Virb XE but not the Virb Elite. Is this just an editing issue or does the firmware for the XE handle the FIT file differently when it's downloaded? I'm keen to know as the time savings in editing could be significant.

Cheers,

Peter

Currently own Fenn Elite S, Renegade Double
Previously owned Epic V8, Think Legend, Stellar SES

More
8 years 4 days ago #26120 by Simon Haywood
Peter, In short - just editing - I'm still mucking around to get the correct layout and format for my films - We are going into the off season here - So it's on the to do list along with ski modifications and refurbishments...
The files are in the .gpx files which are recorded along with the footage. if you have the appropriate sensors you can get allsorts of data...I have a Vaaka Cadence sensor & Garmin heart rate strap synced to both the Garmins (Virb Elite & XE) - both have GPS (built in) so the track comes on the same file - it's just a matter of attaching the graphic/gauge to show on the footage when editing.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

The following user(s) said Thank You: Punches

More
8 years 4 days ago #26121 by Punches
Dang, I was hoping it was better. So do you have to join the video files together before overlaying the gpx file(s?) and then trim the video after that step?

Currently own Fenn Elite S, Renegade Double
Previously owned Epic V8, Think Legend, Stellar SES

More
8 years 4 days ago #26122 by Simon Haywood
Peter, when I make a movie...I'll bring all the footage and data in at the beginning of the project so it syncs correctly. Then divide the clips into smaller parcels for ease of editing and go from there.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

More
8 years 2 days ago #26131 by SurfskiEstonia
Thanks for Your replies :)

Rubys Dad, I looked into the image quality question and the difference is not as big as I thought in the beginning. It's gonna be my first action camera and I don't have any other mounts, so I was thinking is Garmin's suction cup reliable to be mounted on a carbon kayak surface?

Wesley, Your SnowRow2016 video is the angle I'd like to film. Also really appreciate Your website - have read all the reviews and consulted the chart far more times than I can remember! Coming back to the camera, the price is not that much of a question - I'd like to buy something that would serve me a couple of years and the functionality comes before the price. I also have a Garmin watch and that remote record button is a great feature.

Simon Haywood, that Huki video is very nice. And the dials on the screen make a really big difference..

To sum up my thoughts and purchase the Virb XE, would it be true to say, that for those who use this camera with a surf ski setup, the Virb's metrics indicators make up for the slight, but noticeable difference in video quality of the GoPro and NB! the convenience of an LCD screen, which I think You would agree, makes fixing the angle more convenient? Also, if You have any experience with the Garmin suction cup, please comment on this too :) THANKS!

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
8 years 2 days ago #26132 by Simon Haywood
Sorry SSE, I have no experience with the garmin suction mount, let me know how you go - I use the RAM suction mount with my (GoPro hero2) which is pretty good - although I've had it break suction a couple of times when mounted right at the front of the ski shooting backwards (vimeo.com/148493429) The footage was too foggy to use in that video - typical of my Hero 2 in a housing (Yes, I'm using the antifog strips!).
My rear mounts are custom made - couldn't find anything I liked.
Most of my skis are carbon - I can't see that has any relevance to it's suction better or worse.
As for image quality of the footage - I think is mainly in the editing and uploading - for instance free to use youtube downgrades quality from the original a lot...I now use Vimeo Pro (but that has a cost) - The Huki video (vimeo.com/159665825) was a 1gig file and took several hours to upload was shot in 1080/60frms and was loaded in the 2nd highest quality...My file copy is alot better quality straight from my hard disk than watching the net version.

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Latest Forum Topics