advice needed on Stellar SEI and Swordfish S

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #25501 by sv607
am thinking about upgrading and getting a Carbon Swordfish S or Stellar SEI in Carbon. i heard the Swordfish S is better in the rough water over the Stellar SEI is this because the Stellar SEI is more twitchy . i know my current swordfish drains much faster in rough water than my friends Stellar. but the stellar seemed to be a faster ski. have people who have been out on the Swordfish S i heard its got a lower hump. thus fixing the dead leg. any advice would be great..

thanks in advance

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by sv607.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25502 by Ranga
Drains faster because it has less water in it, simple maths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607

More
8 years 3 months ago #25506 by Simon Haywood
Sv607, I haven't paddled Swordfish S, but did have the old model Swordfish (briefly - didn't like it that much and sold it)
The SEI - I've had/have both Excel & Ultra (carbon) ...My balance has done a runner on me too (to quote Ranga) and I prefer my SR Ultra...I found very little difference as far as twitchyness between Excel & Ultra - The Ultra is stiffer and feels like it runs better down the wave and pushes through and definitely looks better!...I'm selling my SEI Ultra if you're interested (it's on geartrade) - It's in 'Showroom' condition. I fixed the drainage by installing a Anderson bailer - If you get to Perth you can try for yourself.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:

More
8 years 3 months ago #25507 by Madpaddler75
I have paddled the swordfish S and it is a big improvement comfort wise for me. I could not paddle the old swordfish due to a stabbing pain in but cheek after 7km. I have demoed the swordfish S and no problems after 12km. Aparrently the angle of the foot plate has been changed which they believe was the cause of alot of leg problems.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25510 by portmanm
Hated the old Swordie, dead leg after 30 minutes. New SWordie S is awesome, spent 1 week in one & completed The Doctor (26km) in great downwind conditions, very comfortable. Can paddle my wifes Stellar SEI Excel all day, just as comfortable, regular 20+km downwinds in big conditions. Both drain fine for me. I'm now paddling the new Stellar SEL Excel, love it - less stable than above boats.

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
8 years 3 months ago #25511 by Ericspin
Portmanm, I have been watching your posts regarding the SEL as I am interested in one myself. I wonder if you might make a comparison between the SEL bucket compared to the V10 or the THINK EVO II. I paddle the EPIC boats in comfort. but I am beginning to believe the position of the EVO II may be aggravating a piriformis condition that I have as a result of OC1 paddling. ANyway, wonder if you might make some comparison.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25512 by red_pepper
Epic cockpits typically fit me well, and I find the SEL G2 to be very comparable. It's a really good cockpit design.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25513 by portmanm
Hey Eric (ericspin), I've paddled Epics for last 4 years, most recently had V10 Elite 2gen - for bucket comfort I can paddle the V10 and SEL 2gen all day, actually I can probably paddle any Epic or Stellar bucket all day without any seat padding. I chose the new Stellar SEL 2gen over my old Epic V10 because I found the SEL picks up runners more easily and I find it more maneuverable, especially in downwinds - I've broken all my PBs in this new boat. I've only spent about 2-3 hours in THink buckets (Evo II & Ion) so can't compare, don't remember any issues with comfort, just weren't the ski's for me.

Hope that helps in some way, Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607, Ericspin

More
8 years 3 months ago #25514 by Ericspin
Guess I'm going to have to paddle one of these SEL. Thanks for the response. Just the kind of info I'm looking to hear.

• Scott S
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #36027 by Scott S
Replied by Scott S on topic advice needed on Stellar SEI and Swordfish S
Not sure the original question was answered here. Swordfish S vs Stellar SEI in hybrid and carbon. Is there much difference in stability and speed comparing the two?
 I’m looking to step up from a Stellar SR G2. Mainly paddling in a large bay with  wind chop up to 4 foot.
Any feedback appreciated.

• Scott S
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago #36028 by Scott S
Replied by Scott S on topic advice needed on Stellar SEI and Swordfish S
Not sure the original question was answered here. Swordfish S vs Stellar SEI in hybrid and carbon. Is there much difference in stability and speed comparing the two?
 I’m looking to step up from a Stellar SR G2. Mainly paddling in a large bay with  wind chop up to 4 foot.
Any feedback appreciated.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36135 by Tinus
I find the swordfis S difficult to remount and the SEI 2ndg to be very easy to remount. I have a 1st gen SEI and that drains very slowly but the 2nd gen has twice as many venturi's so it drains much faster :) 
The new Fennix Swordfish S has a different bucket than the swordfish S and I found that to be much more comfortable and a little easier to remount too. The Fennix version is a bit more instable according to some  but to me it felt much better because the seat was so much more comfortable. The SEI feels more stable and is easier to remount but I couldn't really say if it is faster because I paddled in very different conditions. I don't think there is much difference in drainage between the latest models of both skis.

Nelo 560, 600
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott S

Latest Forum Topics