Seat fit and more rotation using elastic

• Oops
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #25437 by Oops
Recently I have been testing something to improve my hip rotation and get more power from my legs. The surfski seat seems somewhat restricting to me. Sitting in a well with little wiggle room. When I would use my leg to pull my hip forward it was basically using my weakest leg muscles to go up hill while the push/power stroke used my strongest to go downhill (ramming my bum into the back of the seat).

My idea is to assist the weaker muscles and combat the upward slope by using an elastic. It also give the power side more stroke distance.

I use a 26 mountain bike tire around the waist and attached to the foot strap. If I want a little more pressure I put a few twists in the tube. What this essentially does is pull your hips forward and gets your back from being constantly stuck on the back of the seat. It allows better rotation and better use of your legs to improve your speed.

I see this as a benefit to flat water paddling. I have not used it in any substantial swell nor have I fallen. At the moment it is a one shot deal meaning if you fall out you'd waste more time setting it back up. I can see a simple way to making a simple hook that would make it easier to get seated.

I invite you to try it and let me know what you think. Because it has the potential to restrict your exit on a dump please have your pfd on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 6 months ago #25440 by photofr
Might want to add a quick release to your system. I haven't tried it, but I can see where it could help - and if nothing more, it may help with posture (at first). But again, for safety, place a quick release so you can live to tell us more about it.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 6 months ago #25442 by Kayaker Greg
What speed increase have you seen by fitting elastic straps to your waist and pedals?

• Oops
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #25444 by Oops
Replied by Oops on topic Seat fit and more rotation using elastic
@ photofr - All I have to do is add a hook to the foot strap and the tube would be free to come off easily. It will be easy to hook back up if you tip. Thinking a 24 in. tube will fit me better then.

@ Greg - I have not tested it for speed as of yet with my Garmin. What I can say is my stroke is more fluid and I am getting my legs action into the stroke easier/less cumbersome.

I will do some tests this weekend and let you know. And a few pics.

More
8 years 6 months ago #25450 by Kayaker Greg
Personally I don't think you will be doing your technique any good relying on elastic to pull yourself forward, you would do much better to concentrate on establishing the connection between your paddle in the water and the force driving through your foot plate than trying to pull one side and push the other into the rear of your bucket, the rotation should come mostly through the thoracic spine but I realise the there are others that like to do things different so good luck and thanks for sharing your ideas.

More
8 years 6 months ago #25453 by Fath2o

More
8 years 6 months ago #25454 by Ranga
Just a quick note you should never be pushing the back of the seat under any circumstance. The concept is to push the foot plate forward not the seat backwards, for obvious reasons, unless you want to go backwards!
It is called rotation.
You should be able to paddle under full power without even touching the back of the seat, as sprint kayakers do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

• Oops
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #25465 by Oops
Replied by Oops on topic Seat fit and more rotation using elastic
Pushing the plate forward... That is an interesting way of thinking about it. I will try to keep that in mind. I was just trying to find a way to use my leg strength more in a stroke. I guess I shouldn't try and just work on rotation.

The"pros" get the training on form. No matter how many clinics I go to the nuances of my stroke don't get clarified.

Thanks!

More
8 years 6 months ago #25470 by Ranga
Rotation is everything!
Should not be pushing back on the seat, you should be driving forward with legs to help you rotate on your axis and pull the blade through the water with straight arms, this being the power part of the stroke.