New Epic V5

More
8 years 3 months ago #25259 by Spacehopper
Replied by Spacehopper on topic New Epic V5
This is also a racing dinghy:

You might note the numbers on the sails in the second pic, 70,000 boats, rather more than all the surfskis ever produced. And this is only one of many hundreds of classes slow, cheap, accessible, multipurpose boats raced around the world, produced through the 1960s & 70s. Of course the snobs are back on top in sailing now and participation is nosediving. Take the hint...

Any guesses where most olympians come from...? The skills they learn grinding out hard fought victories over massive fleets of slow boats is what makes them good and they return to this sort of racing in their spare time in many cases. Top ski paddlers are amazing athletes, but the pool of people they're competing against is miniscule. Would be fascinating to see a Molokai contested in 100 supplied V8s, but I appreciate that to paddlers such an idea is as unconceivable as time travel... :S

I don't know if the '3000 orders' claim I saw somewhere for the V7 has any truth, but if it does do you really think that most of them won't be raced and that it won't alter the sport significantly and for the better?

Accessible kit = more paddlers & more varied paddlers (ie women and kids) & bigger events & better social scene & safer & stronger clubs & stronger sport & stronger manufacturers. If it means paddling a few km/h slower on average, I'm happy with that. Sean Rice et al are fast, but a ten year old on a bicycle is faster... :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #25260 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic New Epic V5
There do exist races in which the V5 would certainly be competitive. Around my area many paddle races have a "recreation" class, typically for boats 14' or shorter. Also, a lot of our adventure races are held on rivers that can be quite shallow and rocky. If you have a strong bike and run leg, a V7 or V5 can keep you in the hunt for a podium while not causing you the grief of damaged carbon/kevlar/fiberglass.

As a second boat, the V5 makes a lot of sense. A friend who is a very competitive paddler on his V10 wanted something his wife and children could paddle without spending the $3000 for a V6 or V8. The kids are young and prone to doing fun things like running boats right up onto rocky beaches and banging into other boats. The V7 was the obvious choice for him because he could use it as well without feeling trapped in a barge. His decision was validated the first time he ventured into open water. He realized quickly that his flat water V10 skills were no match for the waves of Lake Erie. He switched to the V7 and was able to have fun and learn without being dumped repeatedly. The V5 would have arguably been the better choice if it was available at the time.

I found the V5 to be every bit a surfski when I paddled it. I was able to concentrate 100% on stroke mechanics in conditions that would have been difficult for me in my V10S.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 3 months ago #25261 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic New Epic V5
If that's a Dinghy, I WANT ONE !

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 3 months ago #25274 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic New Epic V5

Spacehopper wrote:
I don't know if the '3000 orders' claim I saw somewhere for the V7 has any truth, but if it does do you really think that most of them won't be raced and that it won't alter the sport significantly and for the better?

One things for sure, if you are an Epic agent, you would be having to fork out quite a bit everytime a new model is released if you want to keep 1 or more of each one in stock plus have a demo boat, which for these boats would be a given I would think.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #25282 by Spacehopper
Replied by Spacehopper on topic New Epic V5

AR_convert wrote: One things for sure, if you are an Epic agent, you would be having to fork out quite a bit everytime a new model is released if you want to keep 1 or more of each one in stock plus have a demo boat, which for these boats would be a given I would think.

Yep, that's a fair point. Proof of the pudding will be in the actual selling. Locally the V7 seems to have created a lot of interest and I think all the boats our local dealer had for sale went pretty quickly. If anything I wonder if the V7 will reduce the market for V8s and force their secondhand prices down?

photofr wrote: If that's a Dinghy, I WANT ONE !

:lol: Have a talk to these guys... www.breizhskiff.com/

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #25318 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic New Epic V5
I will go out on a limb and say that Boyan on a v5 would beat most SS.I readers in a downwind race, regardless of what we were on. Check out the video. This think looks like a blast.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by zachhandler.

More
8 years 3 months ago #25320 by merijnwijnen
Replied by merijnwijnen on topic New Epic V5
I may be wrong, but in that video the V5 looks like planning some of the time. And out of displacement mode, long and narrow is not necessarily an advantage. So given the correct conditions and a skilled paddler, speeds may be considerable. The optimum boat for 50 knots of wind is probably not an elite ski, at least not for most mere mortals....

Seakayak, flatwater racing and a surfski on order.
Looking for other ski paddlers in South East Netherlands (Maas / Waal)

Surfski: Nelo 560 on order :-)
K1:Kirton Tor
Sea kayak: NDK Explorer HV

More
8 years 3 months ago #25322 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic New Epic V5
I agree with your planing idea. I imagine it is a pig on flat water when it is in displacement mode, at least if you are used to long skinny boats. But once up and going on a wave, the maneuverability must be great. But is the v5 a surfski? based on that video I would say yes.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #25353 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic New Epic V5
Think of the Stellar S14S , now there is an rotomoulded alternative with the V5... imo, surfski or not, this should be huge ... just think about all the ugly recreational SOTs or short&wide PE-Kayaks the V5 will surely "replace", esp. for those many WE paddlers in lakes and moderate rivers.

Weight will be 21kg, the Stellar S14S is 12kg in Excel layup. Weight is an issue for me when buying another "SOT" for the family. I just got a V7 for winter paddling and family use (23kg, now that is heavy when used to a ski weighing 10kg less). So I'd be leaning towards a S14s as an aditional fun boat.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Uffilation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29038 by PharmGeek
Replied by PharmGeek on topic New Epic V5
Sorry, totally new to this forum...and found this thread upon googling for info about v5 vs. v7.

Could not help but attempt to "jump in" here, as I am pretty much a rec. paddler so far...my first kayak was 2.5 years ago, bought an older used poly P&H Capella 166...I rented all the local SOT barges and quickly realized that I hated them...well "hate" is a strong word...had a blast on ALL of those day trips with friends, but at some point in the day getting A to B, I did dislike them...

I am kind of a "nerdy" person...once I start getting into things, I like to learn more about it. Sort of "geek out".

I have not sadly had time to take any lessons or get certified in sea kayaking, but that is on my list of things I want to do...for the time being, I am a full time working dad, wife full time working, two kids ages 4 and 6...very little time for recreational pursuits...but the kids are getting older each day and we are getting them out on the water this season on the boats we have (bought a SOT this year that can bring along both kids comfortably, Viking profish reload, also a fun fishing kayak for me, STILL too slow for me....ive really really had much more fun camping and day paddling out of my sea kayak (and my wife has one now too wildy T170)....

I learned of surf skis through a kayak related fb page, and it just looks like a freaking blast. Also looks like a fun way to stay fit....this is where it interests me...I hate going to the gym...and I LOVE kayaking...and these entry level options look like much more fun vs. me buying any other disappointing SOT's that are just SLLLLLOOOOWWW...when some of you talk about the v5 going slow, I do realize this is a very racing oriented crowd, but compared to most any non-surf ski SOT on the market, the v5 would blow the doors off of anything...

I am "land locked" in central Alabama, have rivers and big lakes to paddle...but do get to the gulf to paddle...and would love to get the kids out on the ocean paddling with "ol' dad" (I am 34 years old, 155 lbs), and these "entry level skis" look like very nice alternatives to buying wildy rec SOT...

Im still learning the ins and outs of my sea kayak, I took it across a bay in the gulf, and did fine, but felt pretty uneasy at times as I need more training....I feel I could paddle one of these skis more confidently in those conditions (nothing crazy mind you)...I can self rescue in my sea kayak, but it is not a matter of merely popping back up....I have learned (err began to learn) to roll and can do it "most of the time", but not yet comfortable and not yet feel safe relying on that....on my list of things I will continue to look into.

I am not really sure why I would buy the v5 over the v7, cannot believe they are the same price....but suspect if I can find one used either way, I will be satisfied as a starter boat. I wonder for an entry level person like me would I realize much a difference between the two..I feel very stable in my 22 inch wide sea kayaks, am pretty light person....so suspect with some practice Ill be able to use either of these no problem...and would be fun to involve kids too on these....

What else in the SOT category can you put a kid on anyway that is not absolutely a barge?

Ok, now I am rambling...I am still pretty new to kayaking...one thing for sure, it has become an obsession...a good one....the racing thing has me interested....the exercise/fitness part combined with paddling has me very interested...durability of these entry level skis also has me very interested....fact that my kids will one day maybe enjoy a much better alternative to rec SOT's has me interested.

Not sure how much of a market is out there for people that think like I am about it.

I plan to travel next weekend and demo some of these for starters...otherwise, all this talk is just talk.

OK, don't kill me, I am pretty much a noob beyond measure for this page trying to learn from those that walked similar paths.

Regards!

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
6 years 9 months ago #29042 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic New Epic V5
Welcome!
Relative to your current level and needs, I suspect that the V5 will feel a bit slow but very VERY stable. The V7, on the other hand, may challenge you slightly and provide far better glide, and... much better for the kids.

It's important to note that kids don't usually have balance issues. It's even more important to note that kids must never use a large paddlemblade or a large kayak.

So go ahead... try them both, but be sure to try the V7. There are now no less than 5 plastic surfskis from different manufacturers - readily available to you.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
6 years 9 months ago #29046 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic New Epic V5
Both boats look life fun. All I can say is the plastic boats are nice and durable but, heavy and more difficult to transport vs a somewhat less durable and much lighter composite boat. Personally I don't want to deal with anything over 30 lbs.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29053 by PharmGeek
"Somewhat less durable"

I am land locked mostly in central AL...

Let's put weight aside for a minute....I am assuming the poly versions I can beat around with quite a bit less concern.

This has been a point of confusion for me as I looked at sea kayaks in the past couple years...I stuck with poly not just because cost but because I knew I would see many scrapes and bumps

This v7 for example is unlikely as durable as my RM sea kayaks I have used but still I assume quite a bit more durable than the say v8...

But when I asked people about say T170 wildly vs a composite equivalent - people seemed to report downlplay the durability differences.

As a newb - this was always confusing - I keep assuming the poly is heavier and can take more abuse...

If that really is not true I would potentially scrounge and buy light first

More
6 years 9 months ago #29056 by PharmGeek
also - what are the other manufacturers?

I am aware of epic rotomolded models - also recently have became aware of the Nelo 510 (total newb - had not know of that company before either)

Stellar doesn't appear to have an RM model.

I am unaware of the others that are RM candidates.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29057 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic New Epic V5
Have a Look at this older thread on thermoplastic surfskis www.surfski.info/forum/35-surfski-innova...kis-racing-skis.html posting No.1 + Videos here www.surfski.info/forum/35-surfski-innova....html?start=40#27699
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Uffilation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29060 by PharmGeek
That was a big help! Thanks!

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #38186 by BoLu
Replied by BoLu on topic New Epic V5
I really like your answer, but,couldn't you do it at the beginning?if a forum presents a topic, those who find it with search engines expect an objective opinion from those who consider it competent.if the competency is exclusive to racing, it simply shouldn't be posted in the forum because you don't have the objectivity to talk about non-racing boats.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38376 by TimG
Replied by TimG on topic New Epic V5
I have owned both the V5 and the V7. Just want to say I think they are just as durable as any roto boat out there. The V7 has about the stiffest hull I have ever seen on a plastic boat that long, pretty impressive really. Have not had my V5 that long but it seems very tough. Just to point out one reason (mine) that someone might want the V5--I got a 19ft Sprinter van and found I could fit a 14 ft kayak inside! So I sold my V7 and bought a V5. So now if I want to take a quick paddle I can just slide it in the van and go. I do still have my Epic 18X for longer paddles but the V5. is a lot of fun for quick short paddles.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38380 by BoLu
Replied by BoLu on topic New Epic V5
I was interested in the v7 for the locker, but, the ten kilos of difference for those over sixty years old, I feel, therefore, I looked with interest the v5 performance lighter than the models, but, with the locker.

Latest Forum Topics