OCEAN SURFSKI coming to Perth - test paddle!

More
8 years 5 months ago #24934 by OSS
Hello to all who asked if we would be coming to WA soon.

We plan to come for THE DOCTOR, arrive on the 25th Nov and leave on Sunday, the 29th Nov. We will be staying in Sorrento, close to the SLSC and Hillary's boat harbour. We plan to bring 3 skis (OSS1, OSS2 and OSS3).

If you are interested in a test paddle, please contact us, best per email: "info at oceansurfski.com". We will also announce more details soon here on this forum and on our fb site "facebook.com/oceansurfskis".

We are looking forward to meeting you in WA soon.

The OSS team

New, innovative, different!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24936 by Simon Haywood
You should bring the OSS4 to Perth as well - I'd certainly like to try one...I've bought a few skis over the last couple of years.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Simon Haywood.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24937 by OSS
Hi Simon,

The OSS4 is our most stable ski - reading through your ski list, I assume it wouldn't be for yourself?
Come and try the OSS3 (OSS2 and OSS1), you will be surprised how stable fast skis can be.

Cheers

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24938 by Uffilation
Hi OSS, from the supermario fb site I see they are made in China? Now that chilled my excitement a bit, no offense intended tho.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Uffilation. Reason: them typos

More
8 years 5 months ago #24939 by Simon Haywood

different!
- Yes, that's a different approach to sales!

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24940 by OSS
Yep, we approached 5 boat builders in Australia, got quotes and saw that it is simply not possible to offer these skis at reasonable prices if build in Australia. We would need to charge at least $1000-$1500 more per ski (same in EU). We asked in SA but the answer was that nobody can do what we require.

So we went to China but in contrast to other manufacturers, have an Australian QC person there (with 30 years of QC experience in surf boards, ski, etc) at location taking care that we deliver best products.

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OSS. Reason: added text

More
8 years 5 months ago #24941 by Watto
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Haywood, Goldcoastkiwi

More
8 years 5 months ago #24948 by OSS
Okay, we get the message, we will do our best to get an OSS4 to WA!

Cheers

The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon Haywood

More
8 years 5 months ago #24949 by Fuyang Guy
Saw a 1 and a 4 over the weekend, the paint jobs looked great.
I see Kanghua are making them for you, with some familiar looking outfitting.

From what I have seen, their quality is a little better than their understanding of intellectual property rights.
Maybe they are improving, but to be honest, it would not surprise me if they started offering "Ocean Model" KSS1-KSS4 alongside their "Epic Model" K12/K10/K10L/K10S in China.
chinakanghua.en.alibaba.com/productgroup...919051/Surf_ski.html
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonny250, AR_convert, Uffilation

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24950 by Uffilation
Hi OSS,

"innovative - different" would just have been more sexy together with "we built where we design"

I don't have problems with built quality from there as that depends on the QA and also think that workers should prosper wherever on the globe, but prefer "built where designed" out of respect for such entrepreneurs, which means I am willing to pay the extra buck. I am aware that you took the risk to bring 4 skis at once on the market, need to focus on your ROI while competing against the big names that already produce in China and whose marketing folks are not shy of phrases as "First thermoplastic ski on the market" or "Fastest whatever on the water" which are usually atomized by 1min. of googling. I am not in such a position, so you can skip my post here.

But being innovative&different at some point, when your skis sell like hot cakes, could mean to built up in-house manufacturing expertise and step by step, layup by layup, model by model, bring manufacturing back again, improve processes, train own workers and become competetive over "outsourced know-how and production".

IMO, innovation comes from cross-fertilization between the mould shop and designer's desk and the chance to directly cast new ideas into shape, literally. Having products made of modules that the competitor also has 'cause his product is made by the same worker on another mold 2 meters away while your product cures, that is not being "different". There are companies that outsourced production and bring it back now for that reason. All depends on if you are building up a company, or if one just wanted to materialize one's dream ski, then one can also remain a "designer's desk with distribution", that is also great, but not different. I have nothing comparable on the table in this arena, so actually, I am just trolling?

Looking forward to see reviews/opinions popping up after your demo day and > big success with it.

Cheers!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Uffilation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24951 by AR_convert
Good onya for having a crack at establishing another brand in what is becoming a crowded marketplace.

Fuyang Guy wrote: I see Kanghua are making them for you, with some familiar looking outfitting.

If that is indeed the same footplate/rudder pedal system I think it is, maybe Ocean Surfski should remove the

"All components including footrest, rudders and steering system are designed from scratch, incorporating feedback from paddlers all over the world paddling all kinds of surfski in all kinds of conditions."

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by AR_convert.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24952 by Uffilation
@ar-convert ...
the internet ... marketing's tool and marketing's nightmare ...

More
8 years 5 months ago #24954 by OSS
Hello Fuyyang,

would be interesting to see what the "familiar" looking outfitting is. If you have a close look at the image (footrest) then you would realise that this is a newly designed footrest from scratch. Just FYI.

Regarding IP, I personally produce products in several countries and the important fact is to have your IP secured in the product specific, commercially important countries, not in the "manufacturing" countries. IP is about where you can sell skis, not about where you can manufacture skis. FYI, we do have IP secured.

My best,
OSS

More
8 years 5 months ago #24955 by OSS
Hello Uffiliation,

It is always easy to "advise" companies how to do things better - I know that from experience, I worked as a business consultant myself.

If you have any insights which might help us with production (we would love to make the skis in Australia and being competitive on the world stage), please contact us directly. We have a few more projects in the pipeline and your experience is more tan welcome.

Cheers
OSS

More
8 years 5 months ago #24956 by OSS
Hello AR_convert,

I was hoping to get in contact with you, I read many of your reviews, comments, etc.

Rest assured, all components are 100% designed from scratch (by Felci Yacht Design in Italy), no copies, no parts from other skis. Maybe best if we meet in Perth so that you can see it all in reality instead of judging from some pictures.

In fact, I would love to have you a test paddle on our skis and get your feedback!

My best,

OSS

More
8 years 5 months ago #24959 by Fuyang Guy
Hi OSS, Glad to hear that you have your IP covered.
Agree 100%, the actual footrest and the manner in which it is attached to the sliders are new/different.
Further, it is very possible that the skis I saw, on display at a local race, are outfitted using different components to the ones you had designed, and are planned for use.
but, to satisfy your interest, I will list the familiar components shown in my first, and a second photo I took.

1 - The aluminium slider is not new, it was used on Epic skis for several years and is used on other skis currently. in fact, if you look closely at it, just behind the slider release pin (which again has been used for years) you will see that there are in fact the 2 holes that other manufacturers use to attach their foot boards.
2 - The rail, has been around in exactly the same format for years, right down to the angled end, and the hole that the rudder line goes through.
3 - That exact bung has been around for years.
5 - the rudder line adjuster is also not new.
6 - The plastic pieces at the end of the rail were on Epic, and are currently of Nordic kayaks and others
7 - The plastic part holding the bungee on the front of the cockpit are also well used.

And again, it is quite possible that the skis I saw are prototypes and do not have the newly designed components.
Attachments:

More
8 years 5 months ago #24960 by AR_convert

OSS wrote: Maybe best if we meet in Perth so that you can see it all in reality instead of judging from some pictures.

In fact, I would love to have you a test paddle on our skis and get your feedback!

My best,

OSS

Would love to, always love paddling a new ski and happy to write up a review for what its worth.

Upon reflection regarding the footplate, I guess if the materials used to make up the footplate are the same then design changes may go unnoticed. The eye tends to catch the familiar shapes of the rails, spigots, etc and one could easily assume it is a particular brands stock footplate.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24962 by Uffilation
OSS, yeah I know that sounded like one of 2 old guys of the muppet show, sorry for that one, was just that innovative&different that got me hooked, would have tons of ideas, but my job has me in tight wraps on that regard. It is clear that you know what you are doing.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24965 by OSS
Hello Fuyang Guy,

Let's stick to the facts - you definitely did not take this picture at the local race (Lion Island) as all our skis (in deed all prototypes!) had been converted already!

One could get the impression some people here in the forum are desperately trying to find weak points of OCEAN - what a great compliment! Looks like competition takes us serious, yay!

But as we all know, in production of any products, one usually uses "of the shelf" parts if these have proven to be good for use, durable, etc. This happens not just in the surfski industry but in any other industry. We all know that the wipers of your car are not designed by your car manufacturer, same for the breaks, the little fans for your AC, etc...actually most components in your car come form suppliers and still you drive a "brand"....

In our case, yes, we did not re-invent the rails, bungs (which will change) and not even the screws to tighten all attachment points.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24966 by Uffilation
OSS, don' t take it too serious ... not competitors, just paddlers reacting to marketing statements? ... and "innovative - different" is one that teases reactions. Your skis are of exciting design and should sell like hot cakes, at least for the looks of it ... come corresponding reviews, the more

Ps: Fuyang city, that's where the factory is, right?

Latest Forum Topics