Roof Transport

• leebee
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24677 by leebee
Roof Transport was created by leebee
About to buy a Stellar SR, 19.5 ft. long. I have seen prior discussion on roof mounts, and am wondering about the stability/safety of having only ca. 3 ft. between the bars, even with front and rear have tie down lines. Previously on a boat this long, my supports on a trailer were ca. 6 ft. apart.
On the actual cradles I am a big fan of the Oak Orchard Kayak's "wings" which are shallow V shaped and 12" long in the support direction. Use of a 1/2" closed cell foam on the contact area has worked very well for me on some very "fragile" kayak/skis.
Finally, a couple of tricks on taking a long trip; I run a 3" wide strip of blue painters tape around the hull and support wing, followed by duct tape. This really keeps the boat from moving. Then I use the regular strap, which now does not have to be really snug as the tape is holding the fort and the strap is insurance. Finally, I take the loose end of the strap with a wrap of duct tape a few inches away from the buckle to keep it from loosening. I've driven over 1000 miles with this and never had anything loosen up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24679 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Roof Transport
I really haven't had any problem with most of my boats on 3' wide roof racks - except for carrying our 24' tandem OC2. That's what motivated me to order my first Goodboy V-bar cradle (goodboykayaks.com/). At roughly 7' long, it gives long boats excellent support on shorter rack separations. I still use front and rear tie-downs, but I've been many thousands of miles with my long boats with no issues.

• leebee
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24682 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Roof Transport
Thanks very much for the information. It look like a better way to go than the wider supports with the closer distance.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24683 by supsherpa

More
8 years 6 months ago #24685 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Roof Transport
I still think "happy paddler's" solution is brilliant! Using an
aluminum ladder to lengthen your roof racks. Wish I had thought of it.
Although, I do use a 20' extension ladder to create a portable
saw table for cutting base boards and crown molding.
Be creative and good luck.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24686 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Roof Transport
I still think "happy paddler's" use of an aluminum ladder to lengthen
his roof racks was a brilliant idea! Wish I had thought of it.
Check it out and good luck!

More
8 years 6 months ago #24687 by steve
Replied by steve on topic Roof Transport
While we are talking about roof transport I have a question for anyone transporting long skis (or doubles or OC2's) here in Aus especially. I had an "interview' with an 'official' re the overall length of the craft and its overhang. For us here we can have 1200mm overhang at the front of the vehicle. On the rear we are also allowed 1200mm before we have to use a red flag / light. So far so good. But there is another rule that says the rear overhang (distance behind the rear wheels) is to be less than 3.7m or 60% of the cars wheelbase. For most vehicles the WB is 3 to 4m so ROH has to be less than 60% of 3 - 4m ie 2m. The best I can do with 7.8m OC2 (and ski?)is to have approx. 1m hanging to far passed the maximum allowed distance. Short of buying a stretch limo or a hearse what does everyone else do? Its fine I guess to fly under the radar but could be ugly if something goes wrong or the "Man" pulls you over.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24704 by steve
anyone want to comment? The local "law" have been a bit busy with us last weekend

• leebee
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #24705 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Roof Transport
This brings up a point I wondered about on roof transport, since for most cars, and especially ones like my Subaru Outback, the center of gravity of the boat is normally well to the rear of the car, if the ski should not be mounted backwards (stern forward). As long as the rudder is secured, I think this would help equalize the overhangs.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24712 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Roof Transport
Steve, here in Western Australia our rode traffic code states

11 . Size and projection of loads

(1) A vehicle and its load must not exceed a size limit set for the vehicle in Part 7 Division 2 of the Vehicle Standards.

(1a) In the case of a vehicle other than a motor bike, the load and equipment on the vehicle must not project more than —

(a) 1.2 m in front of the vehicle; or

(b) 1.2 m to the rear of the vehicle.

As a traffic copper of over 10 years in my time in the police here most traffic coppers applied the road traffic code within the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.

If the code were consistently applied within the letter of the law, offences such as carrying a certain amount of fluid in your washer/wiper bottle can be pointed at as being ridiculous.

Unfortunately in any job you have "those people" and in this case they don't see the damage they do to the overall good work Police do by being overzealous in their application of these rules.

I will however caution those that get stopped that although they will never admit such a thing exists, be aware of the attitude test, this is where if the copper thinks you are genuinely contrite and apologetic and his caution will have the right deterrent effect he will leave it as a caution. If however you start to question his judgement, argue that the law is an ass, or otherwise appear that he should have better things to do with his or her time, then the attitude test is failed and you'd be surprised at the amount of code infringements can be found ;)

In WA we have a commissioners instruction that tells coppers not to infringe drivers carrying bicycles on the rear of their car that obscures number plates. I'd imagine that was due to an approach from a bike lobbying group. I think our States Canoeing peak bodies could be doing more to represent us when it comes to the policing of carrying kayak/ski on roofs and the wearing of PFD's (in other states).

I will add that if you are in a regional area and the local police are giving you a hard time, make an approach to the Officer in charge of the local police. Someone like a surf club captain or club president would be ideal and tell him or her about your concerns. Most OIC's of police stations are keen to keep the community onside and often do not have a traffic enforcement background so are often just as bemused at heavy handed traffic enforcement in the community. They have the ability to pull the traffic guys into line and tell them to focus on the real issues on our roads like drivers on mobile phones etc.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24719 by steve
the cog for my canoe (OC2) is just behind the front rack. Unfortunately the bow is about level with the front bumper (Fozzy) so if I move the canoe forward to 1200mm overhang limit all the canoe weight is on the front rack....not good unless I do something to widen the rubber pads on the rack a lot. And I have still got too much behind

More
8 years 6 months ago #24721 by steve
Thanx for response.
Looks like the WA road rules are pretty similar to NSW. I tow our OC clubs trailer with +14m OC6's and a couple of us went through a bit of negotiating/lobbying to legalise the towing here in NSW. Was gazetted etc for NSW only & the dimensions etc vary in other States so potentially it's tricky/special permits etc. Have logged over 30,000km towing around Aus and I still have not had to justify my load as I guess everyone assumes it is legal: its pretty extreme at just over 19m long (19.5m is max) and Rear Overhang is around 7m...just gotta be carefully not to take corners too tight and watch the swing of the tail end.

I appreciate exactly your comments about treading carefully if pulled over. Had issue with an officious type person outside Mackay when a group of us were towing north for Hamilton Is regatta. One guy had to move canoes forward on trailer to reduce length (could not turn corners) and another who was using a big 4WD had to get another vehicle.

The problem I am raising here is the way we carry our skis/canoes etc is exactly the same as originally for my OC6's. If something went wrong (and a couple of near OC6 disasters made some of us do something) then we would not be insured/registered and in deep poo personally and the Club. Would be great if someone could do some lobbying to get exemptions for us....kinda in the interest of the manufacturers as well? (how is it in other countries?)

PS for the record, bicycles obscuring number plates is a money making offence in NSW

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24746 by sv607
Replied by sv607 on topic Roof Transport
been using this setup for years now. the T bar works great

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by sv607.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24826 by gallagherwilson
Replied by gallagherwilson on topic Roof Transport
Anybody have problems with other drivers damaging the ski due to rear overhang. I currently have an SUV and the ski sits about 8' about ground, so only a semi or large pickup would hit it. I'm looking to move to a smaller car, and the ski would likely hang 3-5' over the back, exposing it to damage from other vehicles. Every happened to anyone?

Current boat: Epic V12 Ultra lay-up
Old boat: Think Evo II

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 5 months ago #24827 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Roof Transport
Rare, but it does happen.
Just recently, an RV broke a surfski in 1/2.

Most incident seem to happen in parking lots. For this reason, take a simple precaution and park with your rear near trees / bushes. Yeah… you may have to walk a little more.

Years of carrying my surfski on a compact car… and never a single problem. Today, I'd use a flag though… mainly because people do not look any more: they rely on computers more than eyesight. :)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics