Thanks Epic. Now, which next boat?

More
8 years 7 months ago #24664 by Fath2o
Interesting notes on the EVO 11. Not much room for my calves. Not terribly uncomfortable, but very noticeable on short paddle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24667 by Kocho

Fath2o wrote: Interesting notes on the EVO 11. Not much room for my calves. Not terribly uncomfortable, but very noticeable on short paddle.

That's an interesting observation too. In the Evo and in the Eze my legs are forced closer together, where in the V10 and even more so V10 Sport my legs can spread-out more. As I age I find it a bit more difficult to keep my knees together during a full rotation, so my rotation range gets a bit more limited due to this too.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24675 by Skiwalker
To add to Kocho's Evo11 bucket width comment. I have an Evo11 and my hip width is 37.5cm/ around 14.5in which is similar to Kocho (sitting and measured bone to bone). I find the fit very comfortable actually but I wouldn't want it any narrower. And i wear thickish neoprene shorts which would add a bit also. As a simple guide, I'd recon 38cm/ 15in would be max - very close to Kocho's views on it.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Skiwalker.

• leebee
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #24676 by leebee
Replied by leebee on topic Thanks Epic. Now, which next boat?
As someone just getting back into surf skis after 15 years away from them, the design basis has changed from fish to Swede form and often the seat is a bit narrower for us larger guys so running a "butt" test is critical. At your size you really want to sit in anything you are thinking of buying. I am 6'2" x 90 kg. but my hip bones are wide and as an example seem to have issues with most "intermediate" boats. I wanted a Stellar SEI which looked perfect re. the stability-speed trade off, but with no wet suit it simply was too narrow. The Stellar SR just barely fits wearing a thin swim suit and my by default be my choice. I used to paddle a 19" wide ski and had to pad the cockpit.
Also at your height if you have a long inseam (above 35") you may have another fit issue.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24678 by Kocho
It is a bit tricky to measure hip width precisely and I don't claim my measurement is perfect. But another factor is how low and how far forward the hip bones are positioned relative to the bucket. In the Eze if I put a fairly thin (1/4" thick) seat pad, it elevates me enough to be considerably more comfortable and the seat is just about perfect (since the pad gets my hip bones just enugh higher and further back in the seat to avoid my current rub points and also fills-up the problematic dip on the bottom of the seat that makes me slouch too).

Skiwalker wrote: To add to Kocho's Evo11 bucket width comment. I have an Evo11 and my hip width is 37.5cm/ around 14.5in which is similar to Kocho (sitting and measured bone to bone). I find the fit very comfortable actually but I wouldn't want it any narrower. And i wear thickish neoprene shorts which would add a bit also. As a simple guide, I'd recon 38cm/ 15in would be max - very close to Kocho's views on it.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24688 by Skiwalker
This discussion illustrates just how difficult it must be for manufacturers to design a ski. One size certainly doesn't fit all and this sport demands a good fit. Pity the sport isn't big enough yet to justify 2 or 3 sizes per model.

1.Fenn XT
2.Think Evo 2
3. ...

Latest Forum Topics