Drone shots over open water

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24468 by foundwood
I made the attached video to act as a product introduction for the Epic V7 surfski. I am an Epic expert based in Wilmington, NC, and when I receive an inquiry on a particular hull I like to have a video of the boat being paddled. I try to describe the features and benefits of the surfski so the person has a good idea of what to expect from the product before scheduling a demo session or making a purchase.

Cutting to the chase: I thought lining up a drone with an experienced pilot was going to be simple. Not so easy after all. Most, if not all pilots do not want to fly over water in any case. The ones who will expect to be compensated for the risk. If you do find someone for the right price, then they will not fly close to the surface. And finally, drone shots over open water are beautiful, but completely useless if you end up being the size of a pencil eraser in the final footage.

My brother is an experienced RC plane pilot, and I convinced him to split the cost of the latest and greatest DJI phantom with a built-in camera and 3-axis gimbal. We practiced over dry land. We trained with sessions on the water. He could see me in his monitor and either hold the craft steady, rotate around me, or trail and pan. It took him months to develop the skills and confidence.

I had a new V7. Drone and pilot were cleansed of all anxieties and mechanical and software glitches. Spare batteries were purchased and charged. Now all we needed was a high tide, clear skies, and an early morning sunrise. Finding perfect conditions tacked on another six weeks. Here is my resulting edit:

And now for my brother's:

Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by foundwood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #24476 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Drone shots over open water
super cool. good production value. make more!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics