Compressed nerve

More
8 years 11 months ago #24456 by kwolfe
Compressed nerve was created by kwolfe
Hi everyone. Just bought a used Epic V8 with Epic mid wing carbon paddle about 3 weeks ago. I also have a paddle board but I will say that the surf ski is an absolute blast.

I have been on the paddle board or surf ski for probably 5 out of the 7 days for the past few weeks (5 miles per outing) and noticed an issue this past week. When trying to do military press in the gym at lunch, my right arm was noticeably week. I had also noticed that after a few sessions, that the skin on my upper arm felt a little bit numb. Not totally numb but just a little off.

Good for me that I have a best friend who is a PT. He said that chances are I have some inflammation which is causing a bit of compression on the C5 nerve which would explain the deltoid weakness.

I am trying to work on my technique, emphasizing on power through torso rotation instead of the shoulders. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of issue in the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #24461 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Compressed nerve
Wouldn't you know I would mess up my first post. I should have posted this to the General Forum I guess. Sorry!

By the way, here is a pic of the new (to me) v8. Guess my car stands out a little at work.
Attachments:

More
8 years 11 months ago #24463 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Compressed nerve
I went to a Physio with what I thought were shoulder issues but actually turned out to be posture issues.

When we paddled we try to get our weight forward, but some of us end up throwing our head forward too. Like this....

The effect is to put a lot of load on the C6 vertebra. If you look at the nerves that branch from that area you see that although you get pain in that area it may actually be because of the spinal alignment.

I was given some mobility exersises to do that involved pulling my chin back/in as far as I could, look up to the ceiling, then rotating my head like it was on a pole. Within a week the pain had gone and now I know the cause I make sure I keep good posture, even sitting at my PC.

Always looking for the next boat :)