Stellar SR vs Epic V10 Sport

More
8 years 9 months ago #24129 by TaffyMick
Spot on mate ;)

Have brought this observation up with a few people in the past. When I was looking at the V10S about 18 months or so ago my first paddle was on a 1st gen Performance layup. A week or so later I tried the Ultra layup. This felt a lot more unstable (to me) and was tested in the same conditions as when I paddled the Performance layup. Thought I was imagining it or having a bad "balance" day. Tried the Performance boat again and no, felt much more stable in it than the Ultra.

A couple of weeks later I purchased a 2nd gen Performance layup V10S which felt more stable again. Moral of the story...try before you buy. And to quote Oscar's mantra "stability before ability".

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24131 by Hammy
Replied by Hammy on topic Stellar SR vs Epic V10 Sport
Guys - thanks for your fantastic responses. Taffy M that wasnt rabbiting at all - very clear and logical. I will contact Stellar. Very interesting Red P. I too have pondered the weight Vs stability thing. Being 50, fat and lazy :sick: I have wanted to go light (like an excel lay up) for all the non-water stuff. Im sure someone famous once said "no such thing as perfect, just the perfect compromise". No hang on - I said that :whistle: ! But you are correct ...It is all about individual boat construction and suiting individual people, considering I felt more stable in a 13.5 kg Flow Superstar than a 16kg V10sport. Maybe I just have to pick really heavy paint Red P! Or put up with the extra carrying weight for better paddling enjoyment. Afterall - still 3.5kg lighter than sea kayak! Thanks again. Hammy

More
8 years 9 months ago #24133 by JonathanC
Totally agree on the difference the construction/weight makes to stability. I demoed a Stellar SES in the Advantage construction then bought a second hand SES in the Excel, lighter construction. Wow, in the Excel construction the SES is dramatically less stable, but what a pleasure lifting it on and off the roof of the jacked 4wd and carrying it to the water! Worth the odd swim just for that and oh the joy of paddling a light, fast boat onto a downwind wave.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24140 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Stellar SR vs Epic V10 Sport
If you are swimming you are in the wrong ski!

More
8 years 9 months ago #24143 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Stellar SR vs Epic V10 Sport
If you don't have the odd swim; you're not challenging yourself. Some people don't want to be challenged which is fine. However those of us trying to improve need to push our limits at least a little. That's not to say everyone should start out in a V14. I had the odd swim out of my Bluefin when I first started. I don't think that means it was the wrong boat.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro, zachhandler, Watto, ShaneS

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #24148 by JonathanC
Thanks Atlas, I love the SES and the challenge and how much it's improved my skills. And those new found skills have translated to me enjoying the old V10s even more on the huge days. The 'odd swim' is fine by me. When I first started paddling the SES I used to average 3 swims per downwinder, now I'm usually dry at the end, huge sense of accomplishment.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by JonathanC.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24151 by Fuyang Guy
Afraid I'm with Ranga on this one.
in offshore conditions, you should be challenging yourself, but not about staying upright. Challenge yourself to go faster, link runs, beat your mates. Think up as many personal challenges you want. Staying upright should not however be one on them.
Challenging your stability should be done in controlled conditions in a skinny boat, or offshore, by adding but pads to your stable ski. That way, if you do get into trouble, you can dump the but pads and paddle home in your stable, safe ski. Safety first.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24175 by Flowmaster
I,m in to keeping the V8 for the minister off finance, but thinking off putting the SR on the multi annual budget, for, well actually now. It's off topic I know, sorry, but , you guys think, someone ok. in a v8 might do ok in the sr ?

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #24176 by Simon Haywood
Flowmaster, I've owned both model V8(ultra spec) and I've owned both model SR (excel spec) I currently own a SR (full carbon). The SR is a step up instability over the V8 but manageable and is definitely faster...Your best bet is go a try one! I'm sure you'll love it.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Simon Haywood.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24178 by TaffyMick
Same as Simon.

I got rid of my S18S and SEI and consolidated on a 2015 SR in Excel layup. This ski meets all of my requirements. It is that good and I have paddled them all...V10s, Swordfish, etc.

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #24179 by pappasurfen
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by pappasurfen. Reason: doublepost

More
8 years 9 months ago #24180 by pappasurfen
This: www.nordickayaks.se/en/squall.php

I´ve tried a few narrower models in flat-choppy conditions but the Squall has all the stability at 48cm that I need when it gets bigger. Its still a fast enough boat for flatwater.
Might be hard to come by depending on where you live.

NK Squall

More
8 years 9 months ago #24182 by Flowmaster
Thanks people, I think I stay with the steller option, the SR sounds good, if it was just me, I would go for it it 100 %.
The misses wel... she's ok in the v8 on flat days, stays home, when it's happening, and when it's seriously going down, I'm in the v8.
So, thats it, me thinking more like going faster etc.

She's happy, so it's just a male thing for sure

JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #24198 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Stellar SR vs Epic V10 Sport
Was recently out with a mate in sloppy windy conditions. He's only been paddling for a couple of months, is a strong bastard, swimming background and cardiovascularly fit. He was paddling his V8 and I my Stellar SEI, a longer, lighter, sleeker, faster boat. Punching into 25-27 knot chop it was all I could do to stay beside him and that was fine by me. Once we turned to go with it (we did just two ins and outs) he was waaaaay out the back. The runs were messy and pretty nondescript - windy chop - and sure, skill made a difference. However the SEI would jump onto whatever was going much more readily being both lighter and longer. This is not an Epic/Stellar shoot-out or comparison - what I'm saying is that faster is not just being narrow-gutted and less stable, there are other factors at play. Flow master, your time will come in some sleeker, faster boat and it will be deep joy.

I'm absolutely with JonathanC in terms of stepping up to the challenge of a more demanding boat, but recognise that there is a point where being out of one's depth is dangerous or counter-productive (not enjoyable). Having said that, some of my most fulfilling moments in one adventure or another have invariably been unpleasant experiences in some form at the time. But I had committed to them, followed through and survived them and - yay I done did it - personal triumph!!

It's a learning style thing and we all get our jollies in different ways. Vive la difference.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Watto.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24200 by Flowmaster
I agree,
actually have the SEI for myself and ok into bigger conditions by the week, comes a time, I don't need the V8 for the better days. The v8 is getting old, repaired heavy and therefore, I was thinking going for the SR to replace the V8. So I think, I would do ok, not sure about my wife however. There might be a demo possibility I hope, cause there is one agent over here, gonna give him a call

JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 8 months ago #24222 by Hammy
Hey Pappasurfen. I would be interested to know more about your impressions of the Squall. Particularly on stability Vs say a stellar SR or V10 sport if you have that experience. Also on build quality, long distance comfort, etc. Tq

More
8 years 8 months ago #24223 by topswimmer
sorry to butt in.
I currently have the Squall (i'm only a novice) so read into this what you want.
After paddling the V10sport i would say the Squall is very slightly more tippy. I havent paddled the new SR but i find my mate's SEI slightly worse on primary stability than the Squall but much better secondary

More
8 years 8 months ago #24231 by Hammy
Hi TopSwimmer - Many thanks for input. Can I just clarify, are you saying the Squall secondary stability is worse than the SEI? Probably rules it our for me...didnt enjoy a SEI trial at all. Tks H

More
8 years 8 months ago #24232 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Stellar SR vs Epic V10 Sport
I keep bringing this up, but I have a mate who has owned v10 sport, stellar SE carbon and glass, SR in advantage layup, SEI carbon, think ion. He now paddles a kayak centre zeplin and it is EASILY the fastest ski he has owned. Stability is no longer an issue.

After 10 years of paddling next to the guy this is the only ski that I struggle to pass him on and when it gets lumpy he passes me right back.

They are really hard to find but if you are a larger man and struggle for stability, give one a go.

I have 2 mates with zeplins. The other owns a green7, swordfish, fenn elite and a carbon v10. If you asked him which ski he will never sell I reckon he'd say the zeplin. It's his go to ski when it's really ugly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Watto

More
8 years 8 months ago #24233 by topswimmer
i know it sounds strange but thats how i found it.Bear in mind im only a novice so its all relative! What i will say is that the Squalls primary stability is amazing & thus makes it a snap to remount.Trust me on this i've had plenty of opportunity to practice.
The Squall is a great boat but my skill level still needs work to match it!

Latest Forum Topics