is there a new fenn swordfish coming out ?

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23644 by JohnK
HI Jagter,

I bought an Elite S recently and don't have a leash attachment point, this mus be a late although welcome addition by Fenn?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23645 by jagter

JohnK wrote: HI Jagter,

I bought an Elite S recently and don't have a leash attachment point, this mus be a late although welcome addition by Fenn?

Must be new. I checked last night. Both his Swordfish and Elite S have the leash points. That probably means that is a new shape swordfish, so now I must just take it for a spin and compare it to my old shape one.

These skis are about a month old, straight from the Fenn factory.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23667 by [email protected]
So... Had a go in the new Swordfish in classic Seadog racing conditions (ie howling southeaster - 26kt, gusting to 35kt, 5 laps in Fish Hoek Bay!)

I can report that the bucket is just over 41cm wide. It's not by any means too wide - I found it just right for my backside, I fit perfectly in it.

The downwind leg of the course was at a slight diagonal to the wind and waves, so you had to catch a run and work right a bit. The boat has what seems to be the standard elliptical rudder on it (slightly smaller, thinner, different shape than the Epic rudder) and I had no hint of a broach at any time.

The ski catches the runs very readily. It's maneuverable, I was working the runs, turning right and then back left again to link them.

It's extremely stable - perceptibly more stable than my Zest.

It's nice to have a lower hump forward of the seat, the seating position is very comfortable.

It seems quite low volume - not sure whether it's any less than the current SF. Going into the wind, it cut into the waves and water came over the deck on occasion. Going downwind, it dips its nose quite readily and I found myself leaning back a lot. The cutaway at the back of the bucket makes this very comfortable to do.

I weigh about 86kg at the moment... Heavier paddlers could probably get away with it, up to a point, but I prefer a little more volume in the nose.

I think anyone who likes the the old Swordfish will love this one.

About to go paddle it on the flat in Hout Bay.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tony h, crallan, Atlas, mikatahiti

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23669 by mikatahiti
If New model is just over 41 wide seat, does it mean that the old model was 39?

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
9 years 2 weeks ago #23670 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic is there a new fenn swordfish coming out ?

robin.mousley wrote: So... Had a go in the new Swordfish in classic Seadog racing conditions (ie howling southeaster - 26kt, gusting to 35kt, 5 laps in Fish Hoek Bay!)

Ah so you did the Seadog race? I chickened out when a shark was spotted 45 min before and the white flag went up! Thanks VERY much for bringing it all the way for me to use it on Thurs. That was a special treat for me! My impression of the new one was that it was beautifully finished, light and stable but the conditions were dead flat so I couldn't compare it with the old one downwind.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23671 by MaxB
Thanks for the info Rob. Got any pics?

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23672 by crallan
Mine is 42 so perhaps I have the wide arse version? Excellent!
Thanks Rob!!

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikatahiti

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23673 by mikatahiti
Thanks Crallan

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #23674 by Kayaker Greg
So the 1st version old Swordfish is the narrow bucket 400mm version, the alternative old wide model bucket is 420mm, and the new Swordfish is 410mm bucket, I reckon we call it the Goldilocks model. But too wide for me.

BTW, only dressmakers use cm. :silly:
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
9 years 1 week ago #23677 by crallan
Dressmakers and Fenn. Que music. And it's pun-time!! I'll start with 'fit like a glove' to get us going! :D

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

• AlanW
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #23680 by AlanW
Replied by AlanW on topic is there a new fenn swordfish coming out ?
Rob,
from your paddles so far, how would you rate the new swordfish compared to the evo II?
thanks
Alan

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #23681 by [email protected]
The Swordfish has less volume than the Evo II so that's an obvious difference. For me at 86kg (or thereabouts) water was coming over the nose going into the wind on Friday (hectic, proper 27-30kt SE conditions) and it was dipping its nose downwind more than the Evo II.

I'd say it's appreciably more stable than the Evo II.

I paddled the SF on the flat on Saturday in Hout Bay - almost flat calm conditions, but small bumps reflected off the cliffs every now and then. It seemed to be very responsive to the slightest wave going in our direction ie I found it easy to accelerate onto the runs. No-one else was on an Evo II unfortunately so I can't say whether it seemed easier to jump on the runs in the SF than the Evo II.

I can comment on the build quality... The boat is a carbon hybrid layup. It's extremely light, less than 13kg. There's no give in the deck at all - very stiff. The rudder hatch has been nicely recessed and there's a new pattern hatch.

One of the other guys on an old shape SF commented that it looked like a "great upgrade". Quality stuff.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by [email protected].
The following user(s) said Thank You: msw580, Fath2o, crallan, Atlas

More
9 years 1 week ago #23690 by Fath2o
Thanks to Rob and the rest of you gentlemen. It's obvious to me now that the SF does not have enough volume for me and I would be better off with an EVO II or similar.
Thanks again, saved me from a potential costly mistake.

• MatthewC
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #23693 by MatthewC
Replied by MatthewC on topic is there a new fenn swordfish coming out ?
Fath2o

What do you weigh? I am 136kg and the Carbonology Zest carried me beautifully. Only reason I haven't bought one yet is I want to try a V10 first. If balance is an issue the V10 sport also claims to carry up to 136 kg.

Luckily for me my problem is not really balance after many years of racing K1's. The swordfish was not so much an issue of volume but more bucket width.

More
9 years 1 week ago #23694 by Fath2o
MatthewC

I'm 100+ kg. The zest looks like a nice boat, but my options are a bit limited here in California. I became real interested in the SF after hearing/reading the reviews and then seeing several for sale on the secondhand market. I have three skis and can't justify a new one. The V10S is a good option but the lack of rocker concerns me. I have an old V10 and it doesn't work so well for me in the larger close interval swells we get here.
I have a lot of experience with the low volume XT, but, avoid using it in big downwinds for fear it might nosedive, pitchpole and possibly buckle or break in two. I love the way it surfs though.
Finally got to paddle an EVOII. A bit more lively and nimble than my EVO and a narrower catch. Plenty of volume for me just a tight fit for my calves. Meanwhile I'll just keep looking and enjoy reading about all the new boats. :)

• MatthewC
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #23696 by MatthewC
In another thread I see you recommend Oceanpadlesports. Also looking at your profile you are from California. Are you close to them? I see they are a Carbonology agent. It might be worth approaching them for a trial in a Zest.
www.carbonologysport.com/agents.php

More
9 years 1 week ago #23697 by Kocho
At 136kg, I have my doubts that you would even fit in the V10. I am 90kg and fit well in the seat. There isn't much empty space around my bottom. A 95kg tall guy felt it was too restricting at the hips. What's worse though, is that I think I already load the V10 as much as it should be loaded - both the stern and the tail are in my opinion already deeper than they should be under my weight. Good for tracking, not good for turning.

The V10 Sport floats me a bit higher and there is more room in the seat too. More stable too, and that could be a factor for a tall guy. Yes, not much rocker, but it is more maneuverable than the V10 for me - the tail floats higher and swings sideways during turns more easily.

The above is for the current gen V10 and Sport.

MatthewC wrote: Fath2o

What do you weigh? I am 136kg and the Carbonology Zest carried me beautifully. Only reason I haven't bought one yet is I want to try a V10 first. If balance is an issue the V10 sport also claims to carry up to 136 kg.

Luckily for me my problem is not really balance after many years of racing K1's. The swordfish was not so much an issue of volume but more bucket width.

• MatthewC
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #23699 by MatthewC
Thanks Kocho

I still live in hope. I'll let you know. The interesting thing for me is the Epic site claims 136kg capacity for the V10 sport and 145 kg capacity for the V10. Probably due to the additional length. Studies show the heavier you are the more beneficial water line length is.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26448 by supsherpa
Tony,

Did you end picking a ski? I'm going through the same process at the moment? I have the V10sport in perfomance and am looking for the upgrade.

Thanks,
Mark

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26449 by tony h
Greetings Mark, have had the hybrid Swordfish for over a year & it is a lovely ocean craft - fun to paddle, comfortable, lively, surfs well! I haven't paddled the v10 sport in the same time period as it feels comparatively bulky & sluggish. We have local 9km TT out & back thro' decent surf which I have done over 40x in most of the elite & intermediate level skis I have owned - my fastest time is interestingly in the SF, so it has good speed in messy conditions. For me enjoyment dissipates when I am not stable so this has been a satisfying purchase.

Have been looking at a faster ski for flatter conditions - after paddling the K1 more & the shorter SF - my one preference has been a shorter ski than the traditional 6.4m elite ski's out there.
Ordered the nelo 560 after considering another v14, v12 2G (still unavailable), SES 2G (quite different to 1G & a lot to like), vajda NEXT (really like this one) & elite S (great ski but still seat issues for me)................

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by tony h. Reason: additions

Latest Forum Topics