First Post - Fenn Bluefin vs Fenn XT

More
9 years 3 months ago #23115 by Agent009
Hi guys!
I have been reading this forum for a while and have finally created an account.

I'm based on gold coast (qld) and am looking to buy my first ski. It will be mainly used off the beach, playing around in the waves that break close to shore.

After a bit of reading I have narrowed my choice down to Fenn Bluefin or Fenn Xt.

I'm 182cm tall and 80kg. Any feedback on which ski I should go for and why?

Thanks so much!
Agent009

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23119 by Agent009
Sorry, also considering the fenn LS (spec ski)

More
9 years 3 months ago #23123 by Scode
A lot will depend on your experience and ability. If you're a raw beginner definitely go for the Blue Fin.

My partner has just got one and it's an awesome ski. With hardly any experience she is coming out to sea with me and feeling good and comfortable. We tested an XT and a friends Swordy and while she handled the XT she is much more at ease on the BLue Fin and is really loving coming out in the ocean. If we had gone for the XT I think she would only paddle on very flat days or on a lake.

I can't comment on the LS but would think it would be tipperier the both skis mentioned here.

Cheers

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #23124 by Agent009
Thanks Scode. I'm definitely a beginner so the bluefin is leading at the top of my list.

I'm just cautious because the type of skiing I plan on doing (beach entries, close to shore in breaking waves) a spec ski may suit me better. I've read the Hayden Fat Boy may suit me but I don't think these are around anymore? I also see that Fenn has the Fenn Tarpon which is a spec ski and apparently a bit more stable than the Fenn LS.

Hmmm decisions...,
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Agent009.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23125 by markjlyon
Just a quick +1 on the Blue Fin--I use it in the surf all the time, and I'm very balance-compromised. Great boat. At 5'10, 155 pounds, 30" waist I had to pad out the cockpit quite a bit to get a secure fit in the boat--the bucket is big.

I like the Fenn XT too, but it's quite a bit tippier than the Blue Fin, without seeming to be significantly faster.

I tried a Fenn LS recently on flat water. It's quite a step up from the Blue Fin in terms of balance skills needed, but felt great with its narrow catch.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23126 by Agent009
Thanks markjlyon. I was more worried about the bluefin not breaking in the surf (as opposed to its surfing ability). I don't want to spend $3000+ on a ski only for it to get a crack/fracture in the waves. Obviously a ski like the Fenn Tarpon is made for that type of stuff so could probably take more hits?

More
9 years 3 months ago #23127 by markjlyon
I hear you. I'm sure a spec ski would be better in the surf, both in terms of durability and performance. But I've taken some pretty serious wipeouts in my Blue Fin, and it's holding up pretty well. I have a hybrid carbon/glass ski. Nice and light (27 pounds), but surprisingly strong. My plan now is to get an Epic V10sport for normal ocean paddling, and save my BlueFin for the surf missions.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23128 by Agent009
Thanks again! That's reassuring to hear. I've been looking for a second hand bluefin but they seem to be hard to come by. May have to order a new one through oceanpaddler website. Although a spec ski probably suits me better, the weight of the things (18+kg) is putting me off

More
9 years 3 months ago #23129 by markjlyon
No problem.

I believe you can get a Fenn Spec ski in lighter layups (based on conversation with the folks at Ocean Paddlesports here in California). So that might be worth investigating.

But I have been pleasantly surprised by the durability of my Blue Fin.

More
9 years 3 months ago #23194 by Agent009
Will probably go with the fenn ls. Going to test paddle both the ls and bluefin and as long as the ls isn't a lot less stable I'll go with that.

Latest Forum Topics