Spec ski vs ocean ski

More
9 years 6 months ago #23059 by mickeyA
IF you could choose any ski for a 'round-the-cans ILSF surf ski race, which would you choose?

Here's the deal, you can choose ANY craft you want (I know this will never happen in an official ILSF race, but humor me). Any of the numerous spec skis (Dolphin, Hayden...), or ocean skis like Epic V14, V12, V10, V10S, V8, huki, Stellar, Fenn XT, glide, bluefin, swordfish, elite, even a K1. You get the picture--you can choose any boat that you think will win the race.

Importantly, weight must be 18kg/39.7 lbs., I.e. glass. Waves would be moderate (seems like every Aussie surf ski champs youtube video I've recently viewed has same intermediate waves)--not huge, not flat.

Out through the breaking surf, sharp turns around the buoys (will faster ocean skis turn sharp enough?), and surfing breaking waves with steep faces (will spec skis handle these better?) back in to the beach.

I know Clint Robinson races both types of races (open ocean and ILSF), so I know his opinion would be interesting since he knows the ins and outs of each type of craft.

Bottom line: If ILSA ski races suddenly dropped the "specs" and allowed open dimensions (but same weight), what would the successful skis resemble?

Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.