V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen

More
9 years 4 months ago #22595 by 1xsculler
How does the 1st gen V10S compare to the new (2nd gen) V10S?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22634 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen
There were actually 3 gens (though only the seats were different b/w the first, wider seat, and the second, narrower seat). These two had the same hull, I'm pretty sure. The current (3rd gen) has yet a different seat and cockpit, but also a different hull:

- The cockpit is longer on the current generation, by a couple of inches.

- The seat is narrower and, for my bottom, the most comfortable Epic seat yet - a touch wider than the V10 seat and more upright position, flatter on the bottom.

- The foot plate mounting is better vs. the previous generation Epic skis - gives almost 1/2" more foot room for the same cockpit width.

- There are paddle cutouts now.

- The drain is the new type.

- The layup is heavier (my V10 Sport of the previous generation was 5-6lb lighter than the same layup current generation).

- The internal stringers are different: thick foam type on the current glued to the hull vs. thin cardboard-style with carbon reinforcements glued to the hull.

- There is less rocker in the new versions.

- Less "rake" in the bow too (catches more leaves than the old one)

- Leash attachment point is standard now, if I'm not mistaken.

- The vent plug is different

- The foot strap is attached differently now, eliminating the annoying rubbing points on the outside of your feet.

- Front and rear handles

- More stable on flat water (don't know in the rough)

- $200 more?

That's what I can remember off the top of my head...

More
9 years 4 months ago #22635 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen
I have raced and do race both versions and love them. They are quite different skis and feel very different but still very stable. The new one is faster than the older one, but we are talking about minutes!
The new bailer is super fast at draining which could take time with the older fixed ventury, this will help with speed as well. And as mentioned before the cutouts are a nice addition.
All being said if I was given the older one I would not be disappointed.

• rhainan
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #22636 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen
I find the new generation noticeably more stable. The seat of the new boat is more comfortable for me.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22661 by PeterS294
Replied by PeterS294 on topic V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen
I agree with rhainan. I had the previous generation V10S performance. I find my new generation V10S (also performance) to be much more stable. Kocho did a great job of listing the other differences.

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #22663 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen

PeterS294 wrote: I agree with rhainan. I had the previous generation V10S performance. I find my new generation V10S (also performance) to be much more stable. Kocho did a great job of listing the other differences.

+1

But do not forget the extra point for the tie-back, securing Gopro camera cable anchoring...

• kobicohen33
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #22664 by kobicohen33
Replied by kobicohen33 on topic V10S, 1st gen vs 2nd gen
+1
I agree with PeterS294 and rhainan,
But do not forget the extra point for the tie-back, securing GoPro camera cable anchoring...

Latest Forum Topics