Got a original Uno, should I get a Glide or V14?

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22548 by gnome
My Uno is still like new (fresh water helps)its glass and only 13.5kg.
I only use it for flat water races and training.
Is there really any point to change to a V14 or Glide in the 12kg models?
Are they reaalllly any faster over a set log distance. I tend to just grind away with my paddling. Flat out sprint are a thing of the past for this old bum.
Or should I ignore the hype and advertising?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22556 by Kayaker Greg
One of my club mates has an Uno and just last week he was saying his next ski would be a Glide as another club member who moved to the Glide was noted as improving his downwind surfing so much. I have paddled neither so take that for what its worth, just passing it on.

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22561 by gnome
Thanks Kayaker Greg.
My plan is to hopefully get a better faster (faster over distance, not just flat out quick sprinter) boat. For flat water, dead flat water plus up current and down current.
So down wind ocean condition are not my number one goal.
But if there isn't any real gain I will keep the Uno as its still like new.
Cheers
Gnome

More
9 years 5 months ago #22563 by Metro
The original Uno (as opposed to the Uno Max) was considered a very very fast flatwater boat. If it fits you and is in good shape I would stay with it. I doubt you would find either the Glide or V14 to be any faster across the flat. The V14 "might" be able to match the Uno and I suspect that the Glide would be slower.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22564 by Stew
Gnome, you're curious, and the only way to satisfy that is to go and try them all back to back. Then you'll know what's best for you. What works for one paddler, may not work for another. Go have some fun on a few skis.

In regards to pace of the Uno, it's fast! Lots of guys think it's even faster than the Uno Max, so if flat water paddling is your objective, you could already be on your ideal boat if the ergonomics are helping you paddling efficiently and comfortably.

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22566 by gnome
Hi guys
Thanks for the input.
All points are taken on board.
Im just curious and as any wanna bee, the search for something better is always the dream. Reality, that's another story.
The talk about for the V14 is it's supposed to be faster than the V12 etc. The Uno I think is the same as the V12. The Fenn elite sounds to be the same too. So with both the v14 and Glide getting all the hype in regards to being better faster than their older siblings. One can only hope its real fact and not just another advertising plugs. To keep selling new products?
As to trying them out, I would need to have them for a couple weeks in my territory to really know. Though that won't happen. Plus as I've experienced before. Paddling the dream boat in a short trial, the excitement of what I was paddling made for a good time trial. Later in my courses my time were slower. Some were caused by the craft wasn't as good as the old boat in say shallow or following river currents. In the end the dream boat was harder to keep up to speed. Which I think was because it had too much rocker. Yes it was great at top end flat out speed but the long grinds it was just too hard to keep it at speeds. ie no natural glide. That's what I noticed, don't know if it is true. But in the end that boat went and I went back to my older boat and the times improved.
So that's why I hope to hear from real users and get some feedback before I pull the trigger.
After all they cost a crap load of cash. I don't want to waste money for the sake of it and not find something better.
Cheers

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22567 by Kayaker Greg
Yeah, there's always plenty of hype around new skis :laugh: Its a mine field, I'm surprised we're not all paddling at least 2km/h faster than we were two years ago with all the new skis out there.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22568 by gnome
Agree there.
I recall all the advertising from even the Millenium days.
Each newer model was supposed to be 2 3% faster than the previous.
Your right we should be, though my engine isn't.
I still would love to see a top paddler who has no connection to any company paddle all the ski's and see if a difference can be found.
Maybe its like buying cars.
If its a 2litre engine and the car weighs one tonne. Then it will go so fast and use X amount of fuel. Or so many cars use the same parts from the same supplier. ie the brakes etc.
My point is
Are we fooling our selves with the ski info and just love a name cause its advertised so well?
If a ski is 6.4 long and 42cm side and x rocker then the boat will have a natural glide speed of x and if the other company makes a ski by the same dimensions then that ski will do the same.
Put a bigger engine in it then it will go a bit quicker for longer?
But saying that we have a couple mid packers that have changed skis and they are quicker. Maybe there training a lot more (On the quiet) since they got the new toys just to convince themselves the $$$$ were worth it and we just assumed its the ski, no the engine?

More
9 years 5 months ago #22569 by insalt
I can't comment on your exact choice of boats as I have paddled none of them but what I have found in owning several ski's and multisport boats in the intermediate to elite class is there is not as much difference between them as some people lead you to believe. While there certainly are differences you need controlled conditions and lots of data and probably an elite paddler to measure it. If you could measure all of the elite boats together I doubt that you would find more than a couple of percent between the lot of them. In your senario it will cost you several thousand dollars to upgrade for a negligible advantage at best. (Having said that I've found it impossible to resist the temptation, hence a garage full of kayaks)

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22571 by gnome
Hi Insalt
Yes the temptation
I have skis from really stable ones for the rough days all the way through to the fast ones. The differences are small but the quirks of each boat fit my personality. its taken a while but im pretty set now. Except the hunt for a faster one to help me with my poor ability. Do they exist, probably not.
I have 3 sprint boats the same thing there hunting for what fit me.
Plus im a white water river paddler first. Having been doing that for 35 + years
I rarely have less than 12 river kayak at one time. They all do things differently and excel in certain areas. The days of one boat does all is over in that arena. Now you have boats that suit particular features in rivers. That way you play really hard and the boat doesn't let you down. Take the wrong boat and you have a crap boring day.
So yes I understand the, is the next boat better idea very well.
Yes it's an obsession. Could be worse could be booze or drug.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22583 by insalt
Yep you've got it bad alright.
In your case you definitely need to just buy It!!
Glad there's someone out there worse than me.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #22585 by AR_convert
For flat water time trialing I would stick with the Uno, it is the fastest and most comfortable ski I have paddled on the flat.

At one stage I considered buying one just for flat water but went the K1 route instead.

Wesley over at surfskiracing.info has owned and time trailed many boats over hundreds of times to come up with a flat water comparison chart and the Uno still rates as one of the fastest. He rates the V14 marginally faster but for the money I wouldn't think the difference worth the cost.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by AR_convert.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22587 by Kocho
Doesn't he rate the VanDussen Mohikan (sp?) fastest for calm water and suck water? There is a ski version of it...

More
9 years 5 months ago #22588 by Metro
The Mohican is a very fast flatwater ski. It is also surprisingly stable for its speed. I think it is the perfect unrestricted marathon boat. If you are in the US, it is definitely worth checking out. Van Dusen of course is one of the best designers that we have.

For pure speed, it is impossible to overlook the Carbonology Atom. It is the fastest ski that I have paddled. The Nelo 560 is probably faster in the right hands, but is remarkably unstable!

Now, back to the question at hand, one ski that always got mentioned along with the Atom, Nelos, etc. for speed was the original Uno. So, if you have one hanging in your garage you perhaps no point looking further!

More
9 years 5 months ago #22599 by AR_convert

Metro wrote: The Mohican is a very fast flatwater ski. It is also surprisingly stable for its speed. I think it is the perfect unrestricted marathon boat.

I guess it's the cost of getting skis from the US to Australia that prohibits importers from bringing in boats like the Mohican and the Huki skis. I love the idea of being able to fit a K1 seat to the Mohican bucket.

Metro wrote:

For pure speed, it is impossible to overlook the Carbonology Atom.

Agreed, but it is a handful for all but elite/very experienced paddlers and over marathon distances I would think the Uno would be easier to maintain a higher average speed. I did a side by side test with the Atom and Uno one day and found the Atom faster in repeated flat out sprints, but the rocker of the Atom versus the Uno makes the Uno a better distance flat water boat.

The Carbonology Switch which borrows the Atoms design cues and makes it more stable and reduces the rocker also making it a fast flat water ski but as they are not well known there's not a lot of reviews around comparing them. I would still put the Uno ahead on flat water cruising speed though. The Switch is more of an all round ski (like my current Flash).

If I had the money I could justify at least 6 skis!!!

Always looking for the next boat :)

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #22600 by gnome
Well sounds like I should stop dreaming of a wonderful fast future and keep what Ive got and be happy. Well I am happy, though I doubt I will ever stop searching. Cause the boat will fix my problems :).
Actually one thing did come to mind after posting earlier.
The Millenium question.
If I happen to find a good 10kg carbon one.
How do they rate against a 13kg Uno?
Ive always been curious as the legends are still being spread about how fast they were.
Really? Or just an old wives tale?

Latest Forum Topics