4/3 wetsuits

• Yankee Paddler
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #21647 by Yankee Paddler
4/3 wetsuits was created by Yankee Paddler
I am thinking about purchasing a 4/3 wetsuit for winter training on the water. They seem to be pushing these things for SUPs. Has anyone used these wetsuits for surfskis? I am a little concerned about the back zipper, I am not sure how easy it is to use or will the zipper damage the back of my bucket? There are some companies that advertise front zippers but I'm not sure how that works either. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21652 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic 4/3 wetsuits
Not sure where your paddling but a 4/3 is a super thick suit for paddling Even in the softest neoprene it will be quite restricting and with that thickness you will most likey fry. I paddle in the Pacific Northwest and I find a 3/2 almost too hot on a 40° day. My 3/2 should keep me warm, or at least functional for an hour in 48° winter water. If I'm not in my ski by then it's time to call the coast guard. It should keep alive for several more hours. I would love it if someone made a 2/1.5 that had water tight seams and a good seal on the back/zipper. It make such a difrence to how warm a suit is. Get the softest neoprene you can afford. My 1.5mm O'neill Technobutter top is as stretchy as a .5 mm hydroskin.

There are no perfect cold water ski paddling cloths. For me a good neoprene suit sucks just a little less for me than my drysuit. Mostly it's the MUCH better swimming and easer remounts in neoprene tha wins.... Only by a little though.

Back zippers are fine and don't interfere with the bucket.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 6 months ago #21653 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic 4/3 wetsuits
I don't paddle in a wetsuit, just doesn't get that cold around here.

But I reckon a triathlon type wetsuit will probably be the best, it allows for easy movement for swimming, so should be plenty flexible enough for paddling. You get all sorts of versions. Long sleeve, short/long and pullovers or shorts only.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21654 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic 4/3 wetsuits
Surfing suits are designed for arm movement as well as you need to paddle quite a lot while surfing. Surfing suits are as good as a tri suit or better for paddling. The trouble with tri suits I they have a lot of thick neoprene In places you don't need it like on the thighs and chest for floatation while swimming. Try finding a tri suit that's just a 3/2, there usually 2/3/4/5 in odd places at least for a paddling suit. Quality of neoprene and thinness and few seams are what make a suit flexible, good tri suits are quite expensive as well. Look at something like an O'neill Psycho 1 3/2 mm ( every major manufacture has something similar ) . It has very soft neoprene and has nylon skin all over. Having a skin side on the torso is a bit warmer in the wind but PFD's kind of stick to it and bind.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 6 months ago #21655 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic 4/3 wetsuits
Aah I see. Didn't know that.

Sounds like there is a market for a paddling oriented suit. I know that many custom suit makers aren't much more expensive than an off the shelf suit. So maybe that's also a route worth considering.

More
9 years 6 months ago #21656 by uk_exile
Replied by uk_exile on topic 4/3 wetsuits

More
9 years 6 months ago #21673 by mtnsutton
Replied by mtnsutton on topic 4/3 wetsuits
Personally I use a farmer john suit. No arm restriction. When it gets cold I add a semidry top and a fleece sweater. Warm enough until it gets to where my hair starts to freeze! By then the toes and fingers are numb anyway. Maybe it's a little cold to be out then anyway but the water is still a balmy 50F (10C)ish.

Creativity Cures Complacency

Latest Forum Topics