Suggestion for getting good footage of waves?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #21142 by wrybread
I've been using a helmet mount for my GoPro2, and its ok, but I'm interested in hearing other people's tips. Mine boil down to:

- if you're filming waves shoot in 1080P, which gives you the "field of view" option in Settings, then set that to "narrow". That lessens the fisheye effect, which lessens the amount that GoPros flatten waves. Unfortunately it also makes you much more likely to miss the shot.

- if you're using a GoPro2, get a dive housing, whcih almost completely got rid of the fogging issue I was having. If using the stock GoPro2 housing, store it open in a sealed bag with a sock full of rice.

- I use a helmet mount. It works, but its jerky and I really really need to remember to look down the line more.

- I use a fog insert, but since switching to the dive housing its mostly unneeded.

- The best thing I've found to reduce water sticking to the lens is spitting on it. I didn't have good luck with Rainex.

I've seen some footage shot with a GoPro on a pole. Is there some clever way to mount that to a surfski?

Here's some footage I shot the other day, in all its craptacular glory:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #21149 by [email protected]
This is the camera mast that I use. Attached with Velcro, reinforced with duct tape, it really is very steady.

Here's the original article with pics of the mast:

Summertime Paddling Video

And here are my latest videos shot with the mast:

My next project is to make the mast lighter (current version weighs nearly a kg) without sacrificing stiffness.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.