kids in skis

More
10 years 2 months ago #20794 by boss
kids in skis was created by boss
Has anyone got advice on suitable smaller skis for teenagers(small 45Kg)and still growing. my daughter has very limited paddling experience but is keen to get onto the river to learn to paddle, I will be with her at all times. she wants to paddle spec ski in a year or two when she has gained some skills.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #20796 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic kids in skis
Biggest problem you will have is she is still growing. An adjustable stable ski is a must. Also get a ski that you can sell for almost as much as you paid for it when she decides to stop or move on to a tippier ski.

I have seen it too many time where people put their kids into skis that are way to advanced, they fall out often and eventually give up, never to do it again. Or another trick is to take them out in a 30knot gale and think they will love it!

My suggestion is something like a Epic V8, she will be able to paddle it from the get go, have fun and when she starts getting up to a crusing speed of over 10km/hr she can upgrade.

Stability is everything! don't be fooled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

• woollymammothhunter
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #20832 by woollymammothhunter
Replied by woollymammothhunter on topic kids in skis
Hey Boss. I started my kids around the age of 6 or so in the Stealth Junya. Nice flat bottom and narrow enough for smaller arms to get around to paddle. Very stable and confidence inspiring. We paddle on flat water here in Brisbane and it wasn't long before they were chasing boat wash for their own amusement. Eldest grew out of hers at age 13 (her legs got too long) but the wife still paddles it ok. It is rated up to 75kg paddlers. The Knysna Guppy was the other one we looked at.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by woollymammothhunter. Reason: ETA

Latest Forum Topics