most fun downwind ? - EVO II or EPIC V10S (II) ?

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20678 by Fath2o
I don't race and just like to paddle and ride waves.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Fath2o.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JamieMc
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20682 by JamieMc
Evo2 for sure. Paddled both.
Although it will depend on your stability. 10s is a bit more stable.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by JamieMc.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20683 by AdamV10L
Jamie, I don't think you have paddled the New V10S.
I know an Epic rep that will be happy to let a Think rep try one. :)

New V10S my choice for fun.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20684 by Fath2o
Interesting. Stability not an issue (for me).
The rocker profiles are so much different and , I would think, make quite a difference in the way they handle downwind with conditions being equal?
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Fath2o.

• gnome
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #20687 by gnome
Had a Evo 1, now have a Zeplin.
If your 85kg plus and have longer legs than 80cm inseam. Great ski.
For me the Zeplin is much better. Similar speed. Stability very close but the Zeplin does not have the constant twitch that the Evo had. The Zeplin has a more continuous feel to it's stability, very settled.
Way dryer ride too. Drains better and nearly all the water goes.
Best thing for me is the Zeplin is way stronger.
The Evo I had (the old orange and Grey version, glass) was poorly made. Not enough material in it. Very fragile. Looked good. Would it last long in the ocean, nope. :((.
So far and it's early days the Zeplin is standing up real well.
Yes the Evo looks better and to me the Zeplin looks more like a home made kayak as the finish is a little rippely and is finished not quite as well. But I go for a strong boat than a pretty boat.
The Zeplin was way cheaper too.
By the way speed it's not bad. Stuff all difference between it and may other ski's.
I still sit on 12km/h over 5/6 ks. The Nelo,Green7, Fenn Elite Uno 12.3. Sprint boat 12.5km/h for same distance.
After all these years and all the new boats that are supposed to be 1 or 3% faster than the previous boat I see no change in my speeds.
Even looking back to the year 2000 boats, if you do the maths on the so call improvements I should be over 10% faster, with all the new models over the years. Not one differnce in speed for me. Others might have had improvements in their times and good luck to them. I don't believe the hype anymore.
Just go paddling and have funnn.
Cheers
Gnome

More
9 years 11 months ago #20689 by Fath2o
Gnome thanks. Yeah I was real keen on the Zeplin after Rob's
review. Only problem is I'm in the states and there's only one I know of on the west coast. A Kevlar EVO 1 is my extreme condition downwind boat. Just finished making the drain bigger. Now drains 5 gallon bucket of water in 45 seconds vs 2:45 minutes. Although my evo is very well constructed, it is still extremely light and I worry about it coming apart miles offshore. I'm considering re-enforcing the seam.
The two boats mentioned above (EVO II, V10s) are for sale second hand locally, and both fiberglass. Thinking a fiberglass boat would be stronger and safer, not sure about that though? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
(my other skis: old carbon V10 & XT)

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #20696 by Kocho
I have the Think Eze (and before briefly had the Thunk Evo II). I paddled the V10 Sport for a couple of years ('11 model, second generation with the narrower seat, before the current one). Now, along with the Eze I also have the new V10 (not sport). All in the fiberglass "Performance" layups.

My two Epics, previous and current gen, are much better built than the two Thinks. Stronger layup, stronger stringer, stiffer, feels like better seams. The Performance Epic V10 Sport (previous gen as mentioned) was under 30lb. The Evo II was 34lb, not stiff and prone to cracks and delamination. The new V10 is 35lb, the Eze is probably around 30 or just under - have not weighted it, but it is lighter than advertised.

The older V10 Sport was a bit more stable than the Evo II for me at 85+ kilos (185 lb) and for another buddy of mine at a similar weight. The new V10 Sport I hear is even more stable.

Sorry, can't compare downwind performance, just build quality of the US makes of these two brands from my personal experience.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
9 years 11 months ago #20703 by [email protected]
I would love to give the V10 Sport II a good go...

But we had a classic mid-winter Millers Run on Saturday and I had my newly modified camera mast mounted on the back of the Evo II... Here's the video.

(I'm not sure you *could* have more fun than this!)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
9 years 11 months ago #20707 by Kocho
Great fun! Question - looks like you are maintaining a fairly straight line in the Evo (as opposed to "classing the runs" and zig-zagging). Is the Evo hard-tracking or just your choice to maintain your heading?

More
9 years 11 months ago #20709 by [email protected]

looks like you are maintaining a fairly straight line in the Evo

The one issue is that the wide-angle lens on the camera tends to under exaggerate movement of the boat - so I was actually changing course quite a bit more than it looks.

The Evo has quite a bit of rocker, and is actually pretty manoeuvrable.

The funny thing is that the camera angle (and the editing of course) makes it look as though the run was really easy and smooth - in fact it was very messy and I found it quite difficult to put together decent sequences.

The camera mast does affect the balance and trim of the boat to some extent too. When I was at an angle to the wind during gusts, I could feel that she wanted to weathercock and broach. She's really well behaved though - I didn't have a single broach (in spite of the mast) the whole paddle.

I like the angle of the camera - but I do want to try a lighter mast. This one is good and rigid, but it also weighs about 1.5kg!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho, Fath2o

More
9 years 11 months ago #20729 by Fath2o
Great video, Thanks Rob. The mast provides a good angle. Way too much fun.
Yeah, a V10s II comparison would be awesome.
I,m real curious how the difference in rocker affects their downwind performance. I really can't fault the downwind performance of my EVO and figure the EVO II must be even be better. My old V10 becomes a real handful in the very short, steep and confused conditions where I paddle. Is it due to the length and lack of rocker or just my lack of ability?
Not a lot of opportunity to try different boats around here,
especially in rough conditions. Try to get to US champs and try new boats. Conditions are pretty tame up there though.
The Carbonology Built EVO II looks like it has some nice upgrades ie; increased drainage, upgraded foot pedal assembly, and beefier construction. All things I have to do my self on the Chinese built versions. looks like Epic has addressed these issues.
Going to try and get some paddling in this week, still a couple weeks of good spring conditions left. Haven't paddled my EVO since drain upgrade, excited to give it a go.

More
9 years 11 months ago #20766 by mckengmsurfski
Fath2o,
I know you're looking at these two boats b/c they're available used in your area, but if you're looking for a fun ski in ocean conditions, are a larger paddler, and don't have stability issues, then you should strongly consider taking a look at the new Think Ion as well. It was clearly made with ocean paddling first in mind, with more volume in the nose and tail than the other skis you're talking about, a nice bit of rocker, and maintains decent pace on the flat as well. I've been switching between it and the Think Uno Max since September and can tell you that it is a great ski, particularly in ocean conditions.
Both the Think skis I've been paddling are 2013-14 Elite Layup skis and they sit on my car most of the day, are paddled in the ocean or harbor and in and out of the surf zone on a regular basis, are demoed on a regular basis, and in general spend plenty of time being used. With all of that I have had zero issues with strength/durability, etc... Also, we have sold a good number of Think skis over the past 6 months have had zero complaints about quality. Like all ski manufacturers, I have no doubt there will be exceptions to this, but thus far we have been pleased, as have our customers.
I'm not sure what part of the footplate design Carbonology "upgraded", b/c the current Think footplate system is as stiff and solid as any I've tried, made from a thick carbon, no creaking, and no major flex. I would be interested to know how their's is upgraded? Again, same with the beefier construction. I've read Rob's review and know the construction is different, but to say one is better than the other without spending time with both seems a stretch, no? Maybe the Carbonology constructed Evo II is "beefier", but I don't know b/c I've not seen or tried one...
The Think skis drain fine for me, I've not had any issues but then I've never put a stopwatch on my drainage in any of skis over the years. Maybe simply adding a bullet to the one drain would help? Again, don't know b/c I don't find it an issue with the skis I'm currently paddling, and I've always preferred the simplicity of the standard Venturi over the closable bailers, which tend to distract me, or I forget to open them, etc... That's just me though, I know most people seem to like them.
Anyway, if you get a chance, give the Ion a try and if you have any questions about Think skis in the US, feel free to contact me via our website or on our FB page.
Have fun ski shopping whatever you end up choosing!

Latest Forum Topics