New ski: correcting hip pinch

More
10 years 2 months ago #20677 by drjay9051
Yesterday I test paddled a Stellar SR in the sport layup. I was looking for something a bit more stable than my older version V10 Sport.

No pun intended but to this paddler it was boatloads more stable.

In the Epic I would tense up if I approached a boat wake because I knew I would be swimming. The Stellar is a delight. I was looking for boat wakes !!

I attribute the increased stability in part to the heavier layup. The Stellar is 6 pounds (2.7 kg) heavier than my Epic in ultra layup. In addition the Stellar is roughly 8 inches shorter. Not sure if this is a factor. I also know nothing about hull shapes on these 2 skis.

Anyway my problem is a bit of hip pinch. Occurs on my right hip only.

I have read about correcting this by using a seat pad. Excerpt below

Re: hip pinch 3 years 3 months ago #6327
nell

Gold Boarder
Thank you received: 15

I think most of us define hip pinch as what you get from sitting in a too-narrow seat bucket that tapers in towards the bottom. When we sit, we'd like most of the pressure to be on the ischial tuberosities and the remainder spread equally over the other soft tissues, i.e. glutes. When the seat bottom has a continual curve many paddlers get too much pressure from the seat bucket side-to-bottom transition directly on the greater trochanter of the hip which gives us a bursitis and capsulitis and causes pain. The problem is usually from a bucket that has a continually rounded seat bottom as opposed to a seat bucket that has somewhat vertical sides and flatter bottom. Erik
Report to moderator
QUICK REPLY REPLY QUOTE
THANK YOU
Re: hip pinch 3 years 3 months ago #6334
aaronrgold

Fresh Boarder
Thank you Erik
The moment I read your answer-the rounded transition from seat side to seat bottom-making this radius smaller which will make the seat bottom flatter for more of its width-the light bulb turned on. I think that is exactly the problem. Will carve a little foam and let you know. I have learned a substantial amount by building my own seat/foot rest and I feel like when I go to buy a ski I will be able to choose one that really does fit. Tremendous. Thank you.
Report to moderator
QUICK REPLY REPLY QUOTE
THANK YOU

I really do like the ski and hopefully can correct the problem.

Question is what type of seat pad for hip pinch. i see the Skwoosh pad but really tenderness over the sit bones is not the issue. Many paddlers seem to custom grind a pad out of minicell.

I am thinking something like this is a simple fix without grinding and carving

www.oceanpaddlesports.com/site/index.php...duct-image-full/420/

Yet another possible fix is a thin piece of minicell glued to the side of the bucket where my hip contacts the hull. Not sure if this would help.

It's true what I have heard over and over again. Stability over speed. Funny thing is I feels faster in the Stellar in spite of added weight. Finally I'm enjoying surf ski.

now if I can just get rid of the pinch !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics