Stellar sr stability ?

More
10 years 2 months ago #20644 by drjay9051
I have been in a V10 Sport (ultra layup). As I do not get on the water alot I still have some stability issues.

I am considering a second (and more stable) ski.

Any thoughts on the Stellar SR. I can get a demo in the sport layup. This would be 33 pounds compared to 28 pounds in my Epic.

The Stellar is about 8 inches shorter and I believe the same beam.

In researching it appears the SR is more stable than is the V10 sport.

Has anybody paddled both and if so is the Stellar really that much more stable?

I considered the S18S but cannot get one until next month and really at the price offered for the SR i am so tempted.

i just don't want to buy a second ski only to once again feel uncomfortable.

I know more practice =better stability. Time is very limited.

I will demo the SR but it is a 3 hour ride for me and cannot afford the trip if opinion is not much more stable than V10 sport.

Oh yes I tried a Epic V8 and I found it too stable. So I need a step up but not a big step.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #20645 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Stellar sr stability ?
I have an S18s, SR and second generation V10. What V10s are you talking about, the newest or the older model? I only paddled the new model briefly in flat water and in that short time it felt like it had a stability curve similar to the SR but over all a little less stable. Still, it was in the same ballpark and is much more stable than my V10. The S18s is less stable than a V8 but more stable than the SR....again in the same ballpark. It feels similar to the SR in initial looseness with a touch more initial stability but has lots! of deep secondary. It's like hitting a wall when you lean way over... I really like the boat a lot. It's faster than I thought it would be and catches short steep waves like a champ. Plus you can tour in it and I will be soon. A fun boat to go out for the day in and tour, swim out of, poke around without a care, but it rewards good paddling posture/technique with a reasonable turn of speed and playfulness. I like my SR as well and it is faster but is not very fast on the flats. In rough water it's very reassuring and the deep secondary stability is very forgiving and allows me to push much harder in messy stuff than say my V10. It surfers well and the bow stays up on top easily. With the extra volume in the bow it seem to go down wind a bit better than up in steep chop. It's down sides are a big cockpit/ bucket and slow bailing, not a good combo. I have a large shaped piece of foam I put up front and have filled out the sides with foam reducing the volume by half, now it bails adequately. The S18s hasn't got the treatment yet. Stellar seriously needs to deal with this. My Epic with the new bailer drains several orders of magnitude faster and a totally flooded ski in a non issue draining in 10-15 seconds rather than minuets. If Stellar did something similar their giant buckets wouldn't really be an issue. Oh... Both the s18s and SR bucket/seat will fit a big ass or wide hip bones...If yours aren't, you will rattle around. In the end I suspect the New V10sport is likely a faster boat especially on the flats and maybe up wind, but downwind who knows. The SR's deep secondary stability, bit of a flat run mid hull, being shorter and having a higher volume bow might make it more fun in short messy chop...... But that's just my arm chair talking out my ass too much coffee answer.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
The following user(s) said Thank You: drjay9051

More
10 years 2 months ago #20646 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Stellar sr stability ?
I own a Stellar SR Sport for 3 years now and I am still very satisfied.
The stability is very good even when it gets messy. I tried a new
V 10 Sport last fall during a surfski holiday in Tarifa (Spain) and it was allright when the water was calm but when things got rough I did´nt feel comfortable anymore. It is true though that the bucket is very wide and draining is slow when you get swamped.
I had to fit out the bucket for me and also had to pad the seat area for more comfort. For me the pluses are:

- good downwind performance
- very high secondary stability
- easy reentry
- high quality

Greetings from Germany

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #20647 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Stellar sr stability ?

Newbflat wrote: I have an S18s, SR and second generation V10. What V10s are you talking about, the newest or the older model? I only paddled the new model briefly in flat water and in that short time it felt like it had a stability curve similar to the SR but over all a little less stable. Still, it was in the same ballpark and is much more stable than my V10. The S18s is less stable than a V8 but more stable than the SR....again in the same ballpark. It feels similar to the SR in initial looseness with a touch more initial stability but has lots! of deep secondary. It's like hitting a wall when you lean way over... I really like the boat a lot. It's faster than I thought it would be and catches short steep waves like a champ. Plus you can tour in it and I will be soon. A fun boat to go out for the day in and tour, swim out of, poke around without a care, but it rewards good paddling posture/technique with a reasonable turn of speed and playfulness. I like my SR as well and it is faster but is not very fast on the flats. In rough water it's very reassuring and the deep secondary stability is very forgiving and allows me to push much harder in messy stuff than say my V10. It surfers well and the bow stays up on top easily. With the extra volume in the bow it seem to go down wind a bit better than up in steep chop. It's down sides are a big cockpit/ bucket and slow bailing, not a good combo. I have a large shaped piece of foam I put up front and have filled out the sides with foam reducing the volume by half, now it bails adequately. The S18s hasn't got the treatment yet. Stellar seriously needs to deal with this. My Epic with the new bailer drains several orders of magnitude faster and a totally flooded ski in a non issue draining in 10-15 seconds rather than minuets. If Stellar did something similar their giant buckets wouldn't really be an issue. Oh... Both the s18s and SR bucket/seat will fit a big ass or wide hip bones...If yours aren't, you will rattle around. In the end I suspect the New V10sport is likely a faster boat especially on the flats and maybe up wind, but downwind who knows. The SR's deep secondary stability, bit of a flat run mid hull, being shorter and having a higher volume bow might make it more fun in short messy chop...... But that's just my arm chair talking out my ass too much coffee answer.

Bill

Thanks for the in depth comments, Bill.

I have the older V10 sport with a wide bucket. The "standartd' bucket pinched a bit. I got the V10 sport coming from a 20 foot 24 beam sea kayak. of course it was way too tippy initially.

i have improved but without alot of boat time I am not progressing as quickly as I had hoped for.

i think if i had a bit more stability I would enjoy it more.

In the kayak i go way offshore but with the Epic i am hesitant. nom issues remounting but i just am not real comfortable (stability wise).

I believe I would fit either the S18S or SR. "Fat Paddler" reviewed the SR and he fit it quite well. He was a bit larger than I am.

I'm thinking the S18s is as stable as an Epic V8 . I paddled the V8 and had no issues.

Last year I almost got a Stellar SR but could not take delivery for a month and did not want to wait.

I am really between the SR and S18S. I can demo an SR this week but no S18S in my area (Central Florida) till sometime in June.

In your experience is the SR way more unstable than is the S18S? How does it compare to the older V10sport

I may demo the SR this weekend and if it is a good paddle buy it. The only issue i have is the demo for sale is the heavier sport layup. Only 5 pounds more than my Epic and I imagine less fragile. i would not need to pamper it like I do the Epic ultra layup.
I can get it for something like $1700-1800 and that is a good deal assuming hull is not beat to hell.

Oh yes: Have you had any issues with the hatch covers on the S18S coming off in surf or wind. That is a big concern. They look like simple tupperware type covers with no latches or straps.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by drjay9051. Reason: additional info

More
10 years 2 months ago #20648 by Newbflat
I have never paddles the old V10s so I can't comment on its stability. But from what I have gathered the old V10s in a light layup is more stable than the new V10 but not by a huge amount. I suspect a SR in a sport layup will be quite a bit more stable than your V10s. It should be very reassuring in difficult conditions. If you keep your V10s you will have a faster boat for the flats and calmer conditions and the SR for paddling solo or rough conditions. If your not racing and just having fun and fitness paddling the SR would be a good one boat as it's tough, forgiving and safe. I can often keep up with a lot of faster skis in it if it's rough and people are over a bit over skied. Flat water speed is not the fastest but if your not racing who cares. I do suggest trying the new V10s as it is quit a bit more stable than the older one from what understand and is faster than the SR. The bailer is really nice as well.
But, Stellar's are nicely constructed and better outfitted. Epic could sure learn a thing or two in the whole footboard peddle area when compared to Stellar.. It sucks on my new V10.

As for the S18s.. It's super if you want a touring boat, something for beginners or mindless fun. I wanted all three. Think V8 with hatches and a touch faster with better outfitting. It's more stable than the SR but mostly just way over on its edge where it's super stable. I haven't had it out in really rough stuff but it I'm sure would be very stable and really let you throw it around and apply lots of power. I'm guessing it's a lot! more stable than your V10s. I like it and if I had to only have one boat it might be the s18s but that's just because it is a touring boat as well. But it is fun in messy water and surfers well. Nothing really not to like other than it might be slow to catch fast moving swells. Just a fun all around boat. If you just want a dedicated paddling boat the SR is a faster ski and will catch faster waves. Its an excellent ski for people that might not get out as much as they would like but want a ski that will hold it own in a bit rougher water. I would look for an advantage layup or lighter though. It's quite stable so a little extra lightness will make it quicker to surf and mitigate some of its fullness of hull. It's a boat that could really benefit from that. Do check out the new V10s though... It might be the ticket as well.

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
10 years 2 months ago #20649 by Simon Haywood
drjay,

I took up paddling in late 2011,
I'm a 'C' grade paddler
I've once owned 5 Epic skis: both model V8 (ultra) a V10sport(ultra) V10 (series 1 - Performance) & V12(ultra)
I paddle both flat water & Ocean...I've since sold all my Epics.

I now own some Stellars - I like to match the ski to my ability (there aint much of that!) and wind strength.
SR (excel)10.4kg
SEI (excel)11.1kg
SE (excel)11.7kg
SEL (ultra)10.1kg

The SR fits somewhere between the V8 & V10sport - in my experience the SR is almost as stable as the V8 whilst being almost as fast as the V10sport - in my case I'm comparing the all kevlar construction in both brands. The SR is my go to ski in anything over 26knots where I can go out and surf whatever swell there is with no issue with stability or remounting. I fixed the drainage problems in all my Stellar skis by fitting them all with Andersen Bailers. as an aside I find the SEI as stable the V10sport whilst being almost as fast as the V10.

overall, I find Wesley Echols surfski comparison chart to be highly accurate to the boats I've paddled.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #20651 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Stellar sr stability ?

Simon Haywood wrote: drjay,

I took up paddling in late 2011,
I'm a 'C' grade paddler
I've once owned 5 Epic skis: both model V8 (ultra) a V10sport(ultra) V10 (series 1 - Performance) & V12(ultra)
I paddle both flat water & Ocean...I've since sold all my Epics.

I now own some Stellars - I like to match the ski to my ability (there aint much of that!) and wind strength.
SR (excel)10.4kg
SEI (excel)11.1kg
SE (excel)11.7kg
SEL (ultra)10.1kg

The SR fits somewhere between the V8 & V10sport - in my experience the SR is almost as stable as the V8 whilst being almost as fast as the V10sport - in my case I'm comparing the all kevlar construction in both brands. The SR is my go to ski in anything over 26knots where I can go out and surf whatever swell there is with no issue with stability or remounting. I fixed the drainage problems in all my Stellar skis by fitting them all with Andersen Bailers. as an aside I find the SEI as stable the V10sport whilst being almost as fast as the V10.

overall, I find Wesley Echols surfski comparison chart to be highly accurate to the boats I've paddled.

Thank you, Simon.

Actually I have read most of Wesley's stuff and did find his charts useful.

As mentioned in prior posts i was so close to going Stellar but there were availability issues and the Epic rep here in Florida worked with me to get a V10s in a matter of days! It was really just the way the cards fell.

Having said that I do like the Epic but a bit too twitchy. Likely you are a more accomplished paddler than I.

Really what I want is a ski which i would have no issues taking into the Gulf or ocean. I want to be able to paddle offshore without constant remounting. At my level i get a bit tense if i come upon a small boat wake etc I am going to try the SR this weekend. the only one available is the heavy sport layup. Now i am not racing but wonder if a couple of extra pounds will make the ski perceptibly slower (to me at my skill level?).

I imagine Oscar or other accomplished folks would clearly feel the difference, but me?

If i like the SR I just may order one in a lighter layup. Possibly in the mix is the S18S but I have no need for hatches. i have those on my big ass touring kayak.

Besides I cannot paddle an 18S for a few weeks as there are none in the area.

If I am stable enough in the SR i will in all probability go that route.

From what i have learned the local Stellar dealer has a new freight service so i will not need wait a month or 2 for a ski assuming they have arrived here in the states.

Lastly, Simon: Anderson bailer? I have concerns about retrofit of bailer as I have read about kevlar attracting moisture/ i am hesitant to cut into the hull of a new boat. unless i buy the all glass demo model i'm not keen on this install.

Have you considered adding closed cell foam to the cockpit to remove dead space or in your opinion not a good idea? I believe the Stellar has the bullet but still drains slowly?

Thanks for your help.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by drjay9051.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #20652 by Simon Haywood
Andersen Bailer - I'll post seperately with pictures in the next day or so a procedure called 'Venturi Ectomy - Bailer plasty'

I've now done three kevlar skis and just finished my all carbon stellar SEL - funnilly enough on the 8th day - so does that make it a bris - but that might make me a mohel! :laugh:

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Simon Haywood.

More
10 years 2 months ago #20653 by Newbflat
If you don't need hatches... Get the SR. Nothing wrong with the s18s, on the contrary. It's a really fun boat and a super one boat to have. But for a pure paddling craft the SR is a better, faster boat and near as stable.

Here is a photo of the foam insert I put up front for rough water. I now have foam in the cockpit as well but no picture. The foam pops right out when not needed. All the foam reduces the floodable volume drastically and makes draining speed acceptable.... Just. I also have a foot lift for my shorter right leg.

FENN Bluefin S
Epic V8 double gen 2

Had:
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Attachments:

• SteveT
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #20662 by SteveT
Replied by SteveT on topic Stellar sr stability ?
I have a Stellar SEI and this for me is my all conditions ski, so a Stellar SR would be even better.

I find the SEI really stable even in a 3m swell with 20kt winds, things got a bit hairy but I did not feel that I was going to fall out even when the white caps foam up and land in my lap!

Going downwind the ski is stable enough to allow me to paddle onto the larger swells and build up speed to link runs, I very rarely feel nervous out there.

Latest Forum Topics