Including K1 training to compliment Ski paddling

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
10 years 2 months ago #20504 by AR_convert
Late last year I made the decision to have red hot crack at K1 paddling.

As I live by the ocean it was big call, walk 2 minutes to the ocean with my ski over my shoulder or drive at least 30 minutes, but up to 50 minutes to train with K1 paddlers.

As my form and stablity in the K1 wasn't the best to start, and not wanting to lose too much power in my stroke I chose to do at least 2 sessions a week in the ski (mostly with a local surf club group doing intervals)so I could really engage the core and get the most out of myself. The other 4 sessions a week were on river or estuary conditions and included the long sessions (usually 20-30km)

What I have found since adopting this in January is this...

1) Lower back problems that I had in the form of tightness and sometimes pain after paddling 20+ km in the ski disappeared in the K1.

2) The ITB issues (ask a runner/cyclist) I had previous have all but disappeared.

3) Tight hamstring and Sciatic nerve issues I had previously are much reduced.

I am wondering if anyone who came to paddling as a ski paddler and then started mixing ski paddling with K1 paddling have seen similar improvements.

I felt compelled to share this as a competitive 45 year old who was struggling in just ski paddling last year but am now feeling much better about my paddling future.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #20505 by Newbflat
Do you think that it's mostly to do with a more ergonomic paddling position with K1's or do you think it's somthing else. For me the higher seat and lower knees are Much more comfy than any ski I have sat it. Less stress on my back and hamstrings and much easer to sit straight and in colume.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

• JamieMc
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #20506 by JamieMc
Certainly helps with the ski paddling. On the flat there is no where to hide. You can concentrate on your technique, and stretch out your stroke. Helps a lot with balance as well. Seating position is a bit better too.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
10 years 2 months ago #20508 by AR_convert
I tend to think it is a combination of ergonomics (bum higher than feet) and for me with wide hips, having much more room for my hips to rotate on my seat, not getting bound up in a bucket.

I started using shampoo in my ski bucket seat a while back to get better rotation as I have a tight fit in all elite level skis and found this helped quite a lot.

While I'm on the topic I started using a parallel blade paddle (Carbonology CS4) for K1 paddling having previously used a CS3 ( Jantex Gamma shape) for ski paddling and have had some niggles I carried in my rotator cuffs disappear.

Still prefer the Jantex gamma shape blade for strong catch and in the messy stuff it gives a lot more confidence and stability but for long sessions and flat water the parallel shape is much easier on the shoulders, having a catch that comes on more gradually, not loading the shoulder until the blade is pretty much buried.

As my body starts to age I reckon these small changes are really important as it gets harder to get back from injury. (have a history of shoulder issues from Football and mountain biking)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 2 months ago #20511 by Stew
I could write all day on the subject of K1s.... but don't worry, won't bore you!

First up, many guys get into surfski to paddle skis, and in the type of awesome locations we can only access on skis. So for many, getting into a K1 is never on the cards.

However, I do believe that paddling a K1 has a very positive influence on surfski paddling, both from a technique perspective and work output. As Jamie says, there is no hiding in the K1, so if you're going to paddle hard, you're going to get a great workout. One of the main things I see in guys who come doing demo paddles, or join my training group, is locked up hips. They appear to be getting leg drive and rotating their upper body, but their hips are locked on the seat. This has many negative effects on performance, stability, technique and often injury. Seized glutes are the order of the day. Fortunately it's very hard to get a K1 to run if you don't get the hips moving on the seat, so your technique is improved, as well as the timing of the stroke.

I've actually just finished a blog on this subject which I'll be posting on www.thinkkayak.com.au later this week. Just need to add some video to complete it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwhatmough