Revised Spare Paddle Mount

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19964 by foundwood
The search for the perfect spare paddle mount continues. I improved upon the original design by replacing the shaft stirrups from Ocean Kayak with a product known here in the States as a "Quick Fist". These jewels have their own tie-downs built into each rubber block, and trust me, these rubber contraptions hold the paddle in a death grip. The "Mini" is the one I chose because it is designed to hold items 5/8" to 1-3/8" in diameter.

And the best part: the project cost dropped from $50.00 to $35.00!

Check it out...
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by foundwood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19965 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Revised Spare Paddle Mount
Good stuff, but what I am looking for is a way to swap paddles without getting off the boat. With yours I think I need two hands and to be off the boat near the rear end of the paddle holder.

I will probably just install a bungee across the deck and a foot or so behind my existing bungees, thread it through a training golf ball to keep it a bit lifted above the deck (for one-hand stowing of the paddle), and cover the deck with 3M clear protective stick-on material (same that I have used for the paddle catch area). For the bungee I have bought stick-on clips that would be easy to install without drilling the hull. That's how sea kayaks carry spare paddles. One arm access to stow and remove, secure enough to not fall off easily.

There is also a "paddle birches" product that might work well too, but it too needs an additional bungee.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: foundwood

More
10 years 5 months ago #19967 by foundwood
Kocho,

You just gave me an idea that I will follow up on tomorrow where I will modify the existing design and have something that you can reach without dismounting.

As presented, this was meant to carry a large sprint blade that I can switch-out to blow up my muscles during intervals, or carry an emergency spare that I will rarely, if ever, be called to reach for.

Thank you for your feedback. I hope others see the value in self preservation while paddling distances alone.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19971 by Kocho
I like to carry a second paddle to switch between two different paddles and as a spare (when out on a longer/remote paddle). So far I've been getting by with the built-in bungees and they work OK, but when I also add my hydration pack there and possibly my sandals, it gets crowded.

Maybe you'll have some ideas for this too: I can't carry my water forward of my legs as I take up pretty much all the space in the cockpit :( And I don't like it high-up on the deck either (decreases my balance and takes space where I could use it for something else). I've been thinking of making a hatch either in the hump (best position) or the rear deck to carry my water and other small items. And would have done it by now as I am not afraid to drill and cut the ski, but have concerns about weakening the ski and where the stuff will go inside it - there are no bulkheads to keep stuff from going all over the place and the center beam will be in the way. A sock attached to the hatch opening is an obvious solution for small items and these come as option on some commercially available and reasonably priced hatch rims. But they are usually too small for a 2-3-liter water supply to go in.

If someone has cut open their new Epic V10, can you tell me how the center beam goes behind the seat? Does it have large holes drilled into it (for weight savings) or is it a solid piece? We might start a new thread I guess if this is taking it too much off-topic...

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19972 by foundwood
Kocho,

I just spoke with Eric Mimms in Charleston, South Carolina at the Epic offices in North America and he informed me that the bulkhead in the new V10 starts roughly 4 feet from the nose and runs continuously to within a few feet of the stern. Depending on the lay-up you have, the stringer is very thin in width as it runs beneath the leg hump/seat.

I have to say that if it was my boat, I would not cut anywhere near the centerline. This goes for the vertical wall of the bulkhead at the footwell, because the stringer is cut out only enough to allow the drain port to be installed and water to flow out.

Please elaborate as to exactly how much space remains in the lower portion of the footwell between the footboard and bulkhead in your V10...
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by foundwood.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19973 by Kocho
Good info, thanks! As to your question - do you have an idea? I only got an inch behind the foot board. There is some space where the rudder line goes behind it, but the line would interfere with anything I put there. Plus, the V10 I feel is already too nose heavy (or too little rocker), so if I keep my water behind me might be better.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: foundwood

More
10 years 5 months ago #19975 by foundwood
Kocho,

Here you go, brother: a drinking system for a big boy like you...