Mirror Training: A new view on the water

More
10 years 5 months ago #19891 by foundwood
I couldn't figure out why I wasn't paddling as fast and I knew it wasn't because of my training, so it had to be technique. I made this mirror mount and fixed my issues in 5 minutes. Check it out:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kocho, Watto, Smithy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19895 by zachhandler
Good idea!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: foundwood

More
10 years 5 months ago #19901 by Love2ski
Well done Jim, great idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: foundwood

More
10 years 5 months ago #19902 by foundwood
I originally attached the mirror to the bulkhead at the end of the footwell, just beneath the drain plug. This attempt was made on dry land, and it positioned the mirror below the edge of the hull where I would not be able to see the paddle enter the water.

The mirror was hit by several wash-overs from large wind chop, and it did not budge. I tried different sizes at the auto parts store and settled on the 3" x 5.5" because it had the least amount of "fisheye" and the viewing distance versus size was the best I could find.

I laughed out loud watching myself surf along on small runners. The mirror adds a completely different perspective while paddling.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19903 by Kocho
Looks really nice and you filmed it well too! I do film myself paddling with the gopro on the nose of the ski for a similar view, but having live feedback looks good. I might give it a try when it warms up. Are you able to tell with the mirror if your arms keep high at eye level vs. dropping during the stroke?

On a separate note, you seem to get about 10 times as many "Thank you!" per post as I do. A really depressing observation on the substance of what I post :S Keep it coming!
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marieski, Ric, Watto, foundwood

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19905 by foundwood
Kocho,

You can see yourself quite clearly in terms of hand height; specifically if you are dropping your hands as you begin/enter the stroke. It does require the use of a fisheye mirror because at this viewing distance a regular mirror would not capture you in full view. The fisheye makes your hands grow as you reach forward so you get an idea of height depending on where they are in the reflection. I know the last statement sounds redundant, but seeing is believing. Just shop around and find the largest mirror with the least amount of curvature. If you don't have any luck then just hit me up and I will send one to you.

You have probably been posting much longer than I have, and it is possible that the "Thank You" button has only recently come into vogue. I cannot imagine any response to your posts other than gratitude. If this doesn't cheer you up then smile at yourself in a mirror mounted above your bulkhead as you surf a swell!

Consider this as an option for mounting your GoPro:

Jim
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by foundwood.