Overheating due to PFD!

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #19879 by JeandeFlorette
Overheating due to PFD! was created by JeandeFlorette
I have been using a stock standard type 2 PFD designed for paddlers for the last 4 years but I notice that my chest overheats after about 1 hour of solid paddling and I need to open the zipper to cool down! Anyone else has this problem? I would appreciate some advice on which PDF people recommend for (1) lightness (2) comfort (3) effectiveness.

I never leave home without it and always carry a marine whistle attached to it. What else do other ocean paddlers carry (eg. mobile phone, EPIRB, picket knife, etc)?

Thanks,

Jean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19880 by Kayaker Greg
This is the first summer that I have left shore without a PFD, but its only in hot weather and on calm days, when the wind is up its a wetter paddle and overheating is not such an issue. I only carry my phone (switched off) although I do own a PLB and a VHF, I only take them when I am going a long way off shore by myself, say a 30km out and back around some island or something and usually I do wear my PFD on those days. Not wearing neoprene paddling shorts has helped me keep cooler this summer, I wear baggies at this time of year (its summer here now). Also my paddling top keeps me cool, it has white sleaves and the fabric is cooling.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19885 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Overheating due to PFD!
Ditto Greg as usual. I hardly ever don't wear a PFD and then only on hot, still days, relatively short distance. On warmer days I wear the Mocke PFD which is pretty cool. For extended distances I take my waterproof mobile (which is attached to me, not the ski) and always inform my husband of my course and expected return.

I have discovered a fantastic cooling fabric, unintentionally designed as such by Ground Effect in New Zealand. It has an internal single layer of merino and outer layer of polyester. I originally bought it as a base layer for running on cold rainy days but found it was freezing cold, especially when wet. On the water, it is cooling when wet, like a rashie, but maintains the cooling effect many times longer, probably because the merino slows the rate of evaporation. Once completely wet, it will keep me very cool for at least 90 minutes on a 30 degree day. I haven't tried it for longer or hotter yet, but I'm sure a quick splash on the arms would be more than enough to maintain the refrigeration.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Marieski.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19906 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Overheating due to PFD!
Phew! thought you said you had a 30 deg day in New Zealand!

40 deg days here are not so much fun, but I paddle for fun so you wont find me in those conditions very often.

It is compulsory to wear a PDF and you will get charged if caught without one, in races you will not be able to race. However if you are one of the elite few just remove ALL the flotation and hey presto no more overheating!

More
10 years 5 months ago #19923 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic Overheating due to PFD!
as a Cairns paddler this is one of the few questions on this board that I may be able to help with.

I always paddle with a pfd. When I say with, I mean it's usually tucked under the elastic on my back deck. I know this isn't the safest, but to counter that I have a metre or so of VB cord tied to the back of my paddling shorts which I then hook onto the pfd, so if I come off and get separated from my ski the pfd will come with me.

I have also done loads of practice putting a pfd on in the water. The best place to stimulate drama conditions for this training is in the shorebreak or breaking waves.

I know this system isn't ideal, but the heat and humidity we have to deal with in the tropics is something you southern paddlers just can't comprehend. Air temp of 30-35, humidity of over 90% and water temps over 28.

Another thing you may want to try if you are buying a new pfd is to get one with a inbuilt space for a water bladder. Freeze your bladder before putting it in the pfd and it should keep you cool for an hour or so. I'm going to try this with my next pfd, but I doubt it'll be a soloution for me as I hate carrying weight on my back while paddling - it just feels too wrong.